Citi Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017
6,799 reviews

Full-time Part-time

6,799 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Upper management is great to work with and understands the need for a work life balance (in 552 reviews)

• Flexible work arrangement - many people can work from home or have flexible working hours (in 216 reviews)

Cons

"Management team was abivalent towards new hires and offered no guidance to ensure success"

Former Employee - AVP, Quality Assurance Manager in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - AVP, Quality Assurance Manager in Blue Ash, OH

Pros

The benefits were outstanding! 22 vacation days, and 12 "personal days" which were to be taken for any given reason...that along with 10 holidays -- astronomical!! They were very concerned with VOE, the Voice of the Employee. This was a new concept for me as I was surrounded by the mantra "VOC" Voice of the Customer and our bottom line was obviously tied to bringing in new customers and/or clientele. The Blue Ash facility is outstanding and a real plus to the community. I think they'll eventually make this facility the de facto Center of Excellence; but it will take time.

Cons

The management team in Long Island City was horrendous about assigning responsiblities, guiding new employee's or offering constructive feedback. I knew that I had made a mistake after just 3 weeks of accepting a job with them.

Advice to Management

Have a plan for onboarding new employee's -- listen and give creedence to outgoing employee's during the exit interview!

"A once-great enterprise crushed by executive greed and its unmanageable size"

Pros

None. I have been with Citi for 12 years and I am devasted my what the greed of our senior leaders has done to the company and the country.

Cons

Leadership vacuum. Senior executive greed at the expense of the front line employees and clients. Our senior leaders are so focused on saving their own skins that they have forgotten what this company was built on - loyal dedicated service to our CLIENTS.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for what you have done. "Everyone was doing it" is not good enough. Forgo your bonuses - you know you haven't earned them.

"$20 billion bailout & you still laid off 50,000 people?"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Long Island City, NY

Pros

Global reach. Best resources and the best people. Smart, motivated, and driven. People from all over the world you can tap into and gain knowledge from. The learning was quite good. I was in marketing and I learned more there than any other place I worked before. They know how to market well.

Cons

They put no value on people. Get the work done and increase shareholder value. I tried to find a place in the company where they valued people and was told by HR that Citigroup is not the place to work if this is what I am looking for.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people who work for you.

"Don't waist your time and energy"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

CitiGroup had an interesting call center that has the best facility amongst similar jobs. The benefits package is excellent but balances out with the low pay rate. The work life balance is great as a competent individual can complete his weekly work load in 40 hours or less. The Schedule is also great if you are fortunate to get a team with a morning schedule. Overall it was fun while it lasted but I could not do it for more. (total stay 1.1yrs)

Cons

There is always politics but i have never seen a place that had politics similar to a High School. Not to mention senior management treated everyone below as dumb high school students. I was a top performer for most of my stay there with limited effort. I was always told that performance gets you what you want, however at the end it was more determined on how much ass you can lick by the end of the day. To conclude i don't lick ass so I am in a better place now :-)

Advice to Management

Senior management should take feedback and use it productively

"OK benefits, soul killing stress."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gray, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gray, TN

Pros

Pro: Good benefits for this area.

Cons

Phony employee recognition programs, feel good, touchy feely programs that become so rampant they don't mean anything. System is rigged so that the front line employee is always wrong, no matter how unrealistic management goals are. Management pushes Great Customer Service, yet employee not given the time to GIVE good Customer Service. The VOE program (Voice of the Employee) has a lot of time spent on it, yet I did not feel that management really listened, just paid lip service. Also, the Morality of Citi being able to borrow from the Fed (even before its bailout) at low interest rates 2% or lower, and then turn around and lend that out at 28-30% IS the definition of usury from the Bible, at least to me. I am glad to be gone from them.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like robots/children.

"Toxic, arrogant, no controls, puts themselves above customers, poor record keeping, read on . . ."

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company. They treat their employees extremely poorly. As an employee, you are just a number. They expect loyalty, but they give none to employees. It is highly dysfunctional and business division heads resent one another. There is no incentive for anyone to work together. The culture is toxic and bankrupt.

Cons

1) Abusive supervisors and institutional apathy: I worked for this organization for 4.5 years and was promoted twice. My supervisor had an extremely hot temper and continually verbally abused his employees. Despite complaints to HR and notes on his performance review, his behavior did not change. In fact, he was promoted.

2) Treatment of former employees: I left my job in the summer to attend graduate school and used my accrued vacation when I quit. When I left the firm, my supervisor approved my vacation and my official end date was clear (and in the HR system). Despite this, the firm continued to pay me via direct deposit for two pay periods. Once they discovered this, they had to ask me when my end date was because their HR systems were in such disarray. I asked me supervisor for details about how I was to repay the amounts and he passed it off to HR. I received a letter from HR two months later simply requesting that I pay a flat amount. I immediately sent a certified letter to Citi's "overpayment coordinator", my old supervisor and HR requesting data on the dates of the payments, the amounts of the payments, a statement that they would correct my W-2 and confirmation that they actually withheld taxes that they claimed they were owed. No one bothered to reply to my letter. 1.5 months later, I received a call from a bill collector from CitiFinancial on Christmas Eve demanding that I return her call by 2 PM that day. I called the bill collector and was spoken to quite tersely like I was a criminal or a deadbeat borrower. I again reiterated my request to the bill collector and she claimed to be sending the data that I requested. I have yet to see this data. To date, I have not repaid the company because they cannot provide the data that they would provide an employee on a pay stub.

3) Immobility: I was promoted twice, but because of my abusive supervisor, sought work in other departments. Citi's HR policies required that a supervisor "release" an employee to take a position with another department. This made it virtually impossible to move to a different department without quitting the firm.

4) Restricted stock lost when returning to school: I accumulated a substantial amount of unvested restricted stock after working for the firm for 4.5 years (most of my compensation was in the form of bonus, of which 25% was paid in unvested company restricted stock). When I quit to return to graduate school to upgrade my skills, the firm required me to forfeit the unvested restricted stock that I had earned. Such a practice is intended to prevent employees from leaving to go to other competitors. The affect was to punish an employee for wanting to upgrade their skills. I have no incentive to return to the firm. I told HR this, but they did not seem to care. They did not seem to care that they alienated a potential future employee, who would potentially be able to recruit classmates (from a top MBA program). Clearly, they have no interest in long-term retention of employees.

5) Extremely political: Relations among business divisions are extremely dysfunctional. I witnessed this after working in a staff position that dealt with the management of each top division. They do not talk to one another and approach other business divisions in an adversarial manner. The resulting culture is extremely toxic. This system encourages employees not to work together and to develop deep-seated, bitter resentment toward their colleagues in other divisions.

This list could go on! I was somewhat annoyed while working for them, but became enraged at them by their treatment after I quit (not responding to simple requests for information and harassing me with an aggressive bill collector). This is no way to retain talent. Work here at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Considering the firm is essentially insolvent (as of the end of 2008--with about $2 trillion of assets and only $131 billion of equity, the firm's equity value would be wiped out with a write-down of about 6.5% of assets, not unheard of in this environment), I think they have worse problems than their employee relations. This firm is a mishmash of acquisitions that were never integrated and has no culture. There is so much to do, I'm not sure what senior management could do to improve things. It will take years to improve.

"Go for the benefits and training and then move on."

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Excellent benefit package. TONS of vacation time. Management gets about 5 weeks. Work life balance is ok at first but gets much tougher as you move up. Mid and upper management log 60-70 hours all the time. Also, with all the technology their is no way to work remotely unless you like a network that lags so much it makes it impossible to work.

Cons

Get promoted internally and there is an excellent chance some of your direct reports will make more than you. Get hired into the same job from the outside and you'll make 30-40% more. HORRIBLE salaries for internal promotions.

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be competitive with the market.

"Lack of leadership and interest in creating a unified culture that motivates the workers."

Former Employee - SVP, Enterprise Architecture in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - SVP, Enterprise Architecture in Dallas, TX

Pros

I can say with openness that the only good thing about Citi or Citigroup right now would be the fact that you get a pay check, as small as it is; oh yea insurance. Other then that you will have a J-O-B with minimal pay

Cons

The board of directors have lost vision and direction, and are unwilling to make the "real" decision required to "right the ship". The executive group "click" are not truly interested in fixing any of the real issues, instead they are only interested in ensuring they get their bonus, which they have NOT earned.

If I were in charge I would remove the cancer from the executive team, clear the deck all the CxO's at corporate and sector levels as well as their 1st, 2nd and 3rd Lieutenants.

Advice to Management

Retire and let better blood take the wheel before the company goes down like the Titanic

"Had High Hopes, Shattered by Citi Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Project Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

I was asked to return to a company Citi recently acquired in 2007. With that, I believed that the job that I was doing was going to help our clients and our staff be successful. Instead the dysfunctional organization continued to spend money on bad decisions and upper management was not held accountable. I delivered my work on-time, bridged fractured client relationships and began making end-roads to baselining our staff with Citi's delivery model. Suddenly, I was caught in the middle of the 50,000 person layoff and yet am the only senior project manager who was relieved of their duties.

Cons

Day-to-day, staff are not sure what changes are going to happen. The management staff in Columbus don't talk with clients, their own staff which leads to no one really knowing where the intiatives are going.

Advice to Management

Global Markets shoud sack all IT directors and managers in Columbus and start over with a completely new slate. They are not willing to change in order to pull Citi back up.

"Citi never sleeps because their afraid of losing their jobs!"

Former Employee - Vice President in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Roseville, CA

Pros

Its a job with a base pay

Cons

no where job, can't build independent wealth, do not build the skill to move around in true financial market.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying just about yourselves, don't make quick knee jerk assumptions.

Showing 6,799 of 7,301 reviews