Citibank Mortgage Underwriter Reviews | Glassdoor

Citibank CEO Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance does not really work here (in 170 reviews)

• No Work-Life Balance, Long Long Working Hours (in 43 reviews)

"Best employer I ever had!"

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Citibank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time, does not allow harassment from other employees at all, provides tons of educational opportunities, good benefits, encourages advancement, opportunity to earn incentives.

Cons

No job security - layoffs are frequent according to business volume.

Advice to Management

Management is sound. I wish there was job security.

2. "Sr Mortgage Underwriter"

Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Underwriter in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Underwriter in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Citibank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great overall benefits; Great managers; Great working environment which could include working remote or being hybrid. Global company so there are opportunities to work all over the world. Often promotes from within.

Cons

Though, salaries are competitive, raises after you are an employee are not that good. 2% average or nothing. Signals are not always clear as to how you're doing. You have to prob to get real information about your status.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees. The link between employees and managers in driven by relationships. Employees will do more because of the relationship, than because its a part of their job description.

3. "Underwriter 3"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Citibank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex place, flex time - I've been working remote now 2 years and management allows me to revise my work hours so I am able to get my kids to their after school activities. Ability to advance.

Cons

Procedures are constantly changing (sometimes on a weekly basis) and busy season is spring thru fall which makes it difficult to take time for family vacations while kids are off in the summer.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broke, please don't try and fix it. Upper management flips every couple of years and they each try and make a name for themselves by changing the way things are done (C in Citi stands for change). We don't need 5 people checking the same thing, we just need clear direction and for individuals to be held accoubtable. Multiple changes on procedures does not = clear direction. Bonus plans need to be attainable without sacrificing quality (which they are finally this year). And need to remain that way. Citi often times will restructure bonus plans that benefited employees 1 year to unachievable the next year.

4. "I liked working with the people at Citi, as they were always there to help if you had a problem."

Former Employee - Residential Mortgage Loan Underwriter in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Residential Mortgage Loan Underwriter in Irving, TX

I worked at Citibank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours were great, and had opportunity for overtime and bonuses. Great work environment.

Cons

Citi decided to close their Retail Mortgage Division in Irving and move it to O'Fallon, MO; Ann Arbor, MI; and Jacksonville, FL. Left most of the Underwriters and Processors without a job.

5. "Poorly managed"

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Citibank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company.

Cons

the decision makers in the company have never worked in the areas they are making decisions for. they need to rely on the subordinates under them that know more than them, but don't. They are too big to fail, only reason they are still in business.

Advice to Management

Learn the business before making poor decisions. if you don't know ask someone who does!!

6. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter
    Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter

I have been working at Citibank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training. Flexible work location and hours. You can work around family needs. Many long term employees, people don't seem to leave.

Cons

After training, your on your own. No real system in place to match new hires with long term employees for assistance and questions.

Advice to Management

Match up your new hires with existing employees for any assistance they need.

7. "Great bank to work for"

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Citibank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for career development and ongoing training. Great support from management.

Cons

It is a large business and changes happen slower than I would like to see but that is the same with a lot of companies.