Citizen Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Rothstein

Pros
Cons
  • School staff are known to treat Teaching Fellows as though we are not equals and give us tasks they would rather not do (in 16 reviews)

• Need a little more guidance and structure within the organization (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great job for young people looking to make a difference or go into education."

Pros

Health insurance was offered for part time teachers, which is a great gig if you are in college. Great information and structure for employees and clear tracks to advancement. New sites or those in transition can be challenging, but a part of the job of creating community.

Cons

Can really be challenging if the school you are working at is not on board, but that is not usually the fault of CS.

Advice to Management

Offer more quantitative feedback/statistics about job performance.

2. "Excellent culture, mission, and program"

Former Employee - Manager, HQ in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, HQ in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- At any level, you have the ability to share ideas with senior leaders and execute on your ideas
    - Work/life balance at the HQ is quite good. You may need to manage expectations initially, but if you show you can deliver excellent work, you can leave between 5-6pm every day.
    -Growing organization gaining wider profile in education sector, exciting place to work

Cons

- In a management role, make sure you get to campus frequently to see the students, otherwise you may feel disconnected at times.
    - Like any growing organization, Citizen Schools is still trying to find its true brand and going through some minor growing pains

Advice to Management

- Keep focused on the mission. Funding is important, but don't make decisions because of funding. Make decisions because of the mission, execute well, and the funding will come.

3. "Great team, incredible vision"

Pros

Citizen Schools is changing the world for the better - one child at a time. They are passionate about their mission, and the students create inspiring work.

Cons

Slow-moving at times, but then again, it is a non-profit company. Important to keep the connections between teachers, students, and Citizen School staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible drive and passion!

"A Team Leader for children in an after school program"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Citizen Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very positive, motivating environment in which staff were always encouraged to use their creativity whilst planning the sessions for the students.

Cons

No real cons, just challenges to address, such as keeping on top of issues that teenagers are facing in today's world, and adjusting the curriculum delivery to keep their attention. This was a part time job, and I needed to work more hours. That was they only reason I left.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate and encourage staff, and consider how that this position could be reviewed, in order to change it into a full time position.

6. "I only have great things to say. This is a wonderful volunteer program, I highly recommend it."

Former Employee - Citizen Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Citizen Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Citizen Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful experience, great for anyone looking into teaching, or just something rewarding to do

Cons

The commute, for me, was a little difficult since I was coming from Long Island

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

7. "Flexible and encouraging work environment"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A team of dedicated, passionate and talented individuals working towards a unified goal of bridging the opportunity gap. At the end of the day, the work each team does here on a daily basis is to enrich the lives of students in lower income middle schools.

Cons

Working in HQ sometimes it's hard to feel connected to the day-to-day work that our AmeriCorps service members, campus staff and Citizen Teachers are doing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work.

8. "Teaching Fellow"

I have been working at Citizen Schools full-time

Pros

Working closely and building relationships with students and school staff, gaining professional development via training and lead role projects, gaining experience in the social sector/nonprofits

Cons

Long hours, low pay, emotionally exhausting

Advice to Management

Focus on retention. Many TF's could make great campus leaders.

9. "Intern"

Pros

I loved my internship with Citizen Schools. I was just there for the summer but it was a laid back environment with wonderful people and great mentors. I recommend it to any intern interested in education non-profit, Americorp, and the like.

Cons

No real cons. It was an overall great experience.

"Meaningful (but difficult!) Work"

Pros

Citizen Schools is focused on cultivating a talented and dedicated staff. Professional development activities rarely felt like a waste of time, and the programs really have a meaningful impact on students and their families.

Cons

The hours can be tiring, especially combined with the high expectations, low base pay, and heavy workload.

11. "innovative program!"

Former Employee - Teaching Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Teaching Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizen Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, great people

Cons

Travel between school programs is tricky on public transportation

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work