Citizens Bank Banker Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 90 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was awesome. Very elaborate and hands on. Good work atmosphere .very sales driven but good opportunity.

Cons

Less staff. All branches are not well equipped. Old safe.

Advice to Management

Use more technology

"Senior Personal Bankers"

Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Fairhaven, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Fairhaven, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When fully staffed the hours can be very flexible. Open seven days a week at in store locations. Time and a half on Sundays. All major holidays are paid. Offer lots of PTO

Cons

Working at an in store location the hours can be long. It did not help that our location also became understaffed. The system that is used is very outdated and slow. Everything ins done electronics and on paper so it's always double the work. The company offers very slow growth

Advice to Management

Do a better job recruiting good talent. Not all locations should be understaffed.

"You have to start somewhere."

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary and the work schedule.

Cons

The management and system defects.

Advice to Management

Management needs training and the systems need to be updated

"The manager makes your life miserable."

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of many because of how bad your treated by a sexist manager who only hires females and will walk over any man who gets in her way

Cons

I don't know where to begin let's just say stay away from this location. I guess I was paid OK

"Big bank to small"

Former Employee - Licensed Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice programs and tools to advance your career. Decent pay. Lots of career development opportunities. Lots of tools to help on the job.

Cons

Where to begin, training seemed like it lacked a lot of the essentials, employees seem to be unknowledgeable and unmotivated, sales pressure is ON all the time, work life balance is not there with tremendous workload and manager texting you all the time. I never get out on time either. Systems are dated but it's not horrible because always have someone on the phone to help.

Advice to Management

Don't text when I'm off work please. Stop hassling about sales and start being positive for what we did for the day.

"Great benefits at this company but not the best pay."

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are amazing at this company. They are very knowledgeable and are willing to help in any way. They have an excellent training program also.

Cons

The customer base is horrible. Most customers feel entitled and look down upon you. This job is all about sales. If you aren't willing to go above and beyond for no extra pay or recognition this job is for you.

8. "Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Medford, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great training, great benefits, competitive pay, opportunity to earn more (incentives)

Cons

goals and expectations can sometimes be stressful, long hours at In-store locations

Advice to Management

don't just hire a body, make sure to higher motivated "go getters" who will be a positive addition to the team and not an anchor.

"Turnover is a mess"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the people can be really nice that your work with, and there are a decent amount of locations to look into.

Cons

The turnover is insane. The branches are constantly under staffed, making it hard to actually work in the branch. Also, the pressure on employees is a mess, it matters more to make our sales numbers than keep our sanity. They don't consider location when they throw numbers out to the branches, and don't understand why things can't get done when everything and everyone is constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Please hire more people. And understand that yeah, we are people so please treat the employees as such.

"Entirely disconnected from the top down. A medicore company with good colleagues."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Paid time off is very good (18 days your first year)
    -Health Insurance is through Cigna which is competitive
    -Pay is acceptable when hired (only when hired)
    -Fairly relaxed atmosphere day-to-day
    -Retirement plan matches 4%
    -Majority of the customers are wonderful

I'm extremely lucky to work with the people I do. I have a great branch manager, assistant manager, and i enjoy being around my fellow colleagues.

Cons

-Technology is almost non-existent
    -Computer systems are pathetic and beyond outdated (makes the job 10x harder)
    -No continuity, at any level. (Ask 1 question to 10 people and you'll get 10 answers)
    -Regional managers micromanage about something new every week.
    -The company has no concrete training program but they act like the training you receive is top notch. The training for new hires is disorganized and changes constantly so it creates confusion for all bank employees.
    -The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus.

There is very little opportunity to advance with this company despite what others have said. You have the ability to move to different departments or branches but that's not a promotion.

Advice to Management

If you're okay with being mediocre than keep doing what you're doing.

You need to focus on your branch managers and how they're being treated. The success of the company depends on them. If you have a satisfied and motivated BM then you'll have a satisfied and motivated branch.

"Highlight in banking industry"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are allowed more flexibility for activities during workday, encouraged to be productive, and are given extra freedom for effort. Compared to other banks, employees can feel much safer and actually receive the help they ask for.

Cons

Micromanagement policies do not address the true problems employees are facing. NOT a complaint about meetings and micromanagement in most cases, but more that management framing was incorrect.

Advice to Management

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY focus on the colleagues who are inspired. I lost enthusiasm because I lost praise from upper management. My needs and ambitions seemed to fall to the wayside, which made me feel insignificant.