Citizens Bank Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 90 reviews)

"Most horrible bank I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Senior Teller in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Turnover is tremendous because management has a different set of rules for the same job roles. Management only tells you what you want to hear. I read these negative reviews and thought, not me. These people are too sensitive, surely this bank cannot be that bad. All of the reviews are spot on....IT IS BAD! Do not work for this bank.
    It is made known that you are an expendable employee no matter how hard you work or what skills/ideas bring to the table. Way too many changes in applications and programs so you're always having to learn a new way to do something and handle customer dissatisfaction/corrections when it goes wrong-and it always goes wrong. No Leadership.
    Communication is one way and supervisors are not concerned with what is going on from day to day. Undisciplined, unethical, and unprofessional! If you work here and have any amount of integrity; it will be compromised by the time you leave. No matter how hard HR tries to sell you on how great this bank is, don't buy into it. Most coworkers hate being here and cannot wait to get out....including me, (HORRIBLE) environment....!

Cons

Highly stressful environment, i remember days without having lunch, everyone throws each other under the bus!

Advice to Management

Please stop hiring managers that they don't have experience specially they've had never been in banking environment.

Citizens Bank Response

Apr 24, 2017 – Senior Employer Brand Marketing Consultant

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We would like to hear from you to learn more about the concerns you have raised so we may look into them. We have a number of channels for ... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The end of the day, when you get to leave!

Cons

Citizens recruits with big talks of bonus plus salary and work-life balance
     Folks, at Citizens Bank, there is NO work-life balance. If you go on the interview, ask in detail about bonus plan and ask realistically how many colleague actually hit bonus and what is the average.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and set realistic goals. Stop treating your colleagues like they don't know what they are doing. Most of you in Senior and Executive Management would never last working in a branch with what you have placed for expectations. Again, open your eyes and get out of your dream bubble and lethe today's reality set in. Spend some time in the real world. And executive management, I hope you realize whenever you go out on visits, they are all dog and pony shows. Your Regional Managers help you set up for the show (visit). Up to and including filling out fake customer scenarios in banker bo0ks so it looks like everyone is following your so called sales plan. Colleague engagement is at the lowest level in the past 18 years.

"Learning and truly helping others to expand their needs and vision to reach their goal."

Current Employee - Small Business Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Small Business Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with sick time included in personal time off to balance out lifestyle and also with the fact that commissions can be reachable if employees stick to the goals of constant hard work.

Cons

Goals starting to be unrealistic for individuals striving to hit their goals with micromanaging down to the details daily along with the salary averages not meeting certain market standard due to inflation.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and let your team do their job instead of micromanaging to hit your bonus commissions cause some of the branch is failing short of your goals for requirements.

"Licensed Banker"

Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Newton, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A nice place to start, good practice modules, extra income with sales bonus up to 4000 a year and good medical benefits.

Cons

Lack of team work, under appreciation, micromanagement and toxic environment due to most employees being negative. Sometimes you don't think as a banker due to long working hours and work load will break your back.

Advice to Management

To hire more quality staff with experience.

6. "Mortgage Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Boston, MA

Pros

My direct manager was always supportive. If you could sustain production you could earn well.

Cons

Operations are a mess as is the technology. Both were bad but sr. mortgage mgmt was worse. They are always in desperation mode. Their fixation on growth, growth, growth, has completely blinded them to the fact that the operations and technology cannot handle it and customers are suffering as a result. Not to mention our personal reputations in the industry, which is the main reason I left. I have no confidence that they have any kind of plan to improve.

Advice to Management

Communication! folks don't know what youre doing to improve things. Focus on core LOs and their business, slow hiring pace until ops and technology catch up to modern times. Sr. Bank Mgmt, listen to the mortgage folks. You people do not know the business.

7. "This was the worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't have any to list. There really are no pros to working for this company as noted below.

Cons

- Politics
    - High-pressure sales
    - Antiquated technology
    - Disconnect between upper management and retail staff
    - Illegal activity such as denial of lunch breaks, retaliation towards employees who speak up, hostile work environment
    - Denial of overtime pay for hourly employees

Advice to Management

Correct the above-mentioned issues. Stop hiring callous and pompous management

Citizens Bank Response

May 16, 2016 – Senior Employer Brand Marketing Consultant

Thank you for providing your feedback. Citizens Bank is committed to providing a workplace free of harassment and retaliation and complying with all employment/wage and hour laws, including paying ... More

"Treats good employees like garbage"

Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Rochester, NH

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot while working here but it was from self learning and a seasoned employee. The pay wasn't bad for the area and if they understood that customers come first, rather than money, then they would be a lot more successful.

Cons

Similar to many corporate companies, if you do what you're told and don't ask questions you get far. They offered me a 5% raise to become an assistant manager, I'd be making less than $16 an hour.

Advice to Management

Show your appreciation to your employees. You're going to lose all of the good ones, which has already began, because you'd rather have obedient lap dogs rather than people who are going to go above and beyond.

"A great place to work... 10 years ago"

Former Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse work force, free coffee, cold A/C in the summer, working in doors is always nice. flexible "work from home" policy.

Cons

If you haven't been employed by this Bank for more than 10 years there is no point in joining. All I ever heard was "this is not my job". (I could never find anyone willing to help). The old guard retains all the power, no ability for advancement. Constant cost cutting measures, yet plenty of spending for executive level employees. Employee / "worker bee" appreciation is a joke.

Advice to Management

Take care of employees who know what they're doing. Think long term, instead of promoting people who will just leave. When everyone is promoted to vice president, the title loses it's meaning and power. Before you spend money on a new system, you should see if it works.

"Company in free fall"

Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work from home policy if your manager allows it.
    First line managers/technical managers are excellent

Cons

Senior management is awful. Not just disconnected, actively disinterested in the long term. Can only see about as far as their next bonus. At which time they have made it clear they are leaving. If you are promised a discretionary bonus you can be confident you will not see it. In the years I have been their the company has consistently claimed to 'not fund the pool' and as a result everyone's bonus is a fraction of what was promised. Believes all problems can be fixed by outsourcing departments.

Advice to Management

Seriously take stock of the attrition levels (15% is not ok contrary to your publicly stated opinion and if you are laying off hundreds of people you might consider factoring that impact on morale.

11. "Stay out of it!!"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chelsea, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chelsea, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people to work with. Friendly co-workers and average benefits. Huge bonus for the top management and some change for the rest.

Cons

Its All about the sales numbers!!!!! To work for this company you have to be their slaves. Work terrible hours for a small pay. Stay out of it!!!! Don't waste your time!!

Showing 25 of 1,398 reviews