Citizens Bank Reviews in Cranston, RI | Glassdoor

Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

1. "Nothing but good things to say"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Relationship Manager in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Relationship Manager in Cranston, RI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best people, collaborative, benefits, a fun atmosphere

Cons

Workload could sometimes be overwhelming

"Shady"

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Cranston, RI

Pros

Salary and benefits weren't bad

Cons

Crooked management, need to butt kiss management to get anywhere, no one lets you know about any back history about projects, throw you in and is expected to know everything about a project you have never seen and was just told you were on literally 5 mins earlier. You are setup to fail. Many laid off but bring in cheaper help with no clue.

Advice to Management

Keep people with knowledge, train, restructure management.

3. "You get out what you decide to put in"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Cranston, RI
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for motivated self starters to find opportunities to excel and shine.

Cons

Everyone is so busy it can be challenging to get feedback and direction on a regular basis. As with all companies it depends on the team you are working with.

Advice to Management

Please prioritize projects and initiative. I don't mean here are the top 5 projects for the year but which one is first and second for all the teams to see and align with.

4. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Cranston, RI
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Cranston, RI

I worked at Citizens Bank as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work, no micromanagement

Cons

relatively new framework, bank managers do not provide face to face feedback, in case of issues or escalation pm is the last people to know

5. "Ok company"

Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

Lots of job opportunities

Cons

on the lower paying side
    poor internal prompting

6. "employer review"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

challenging environment, many outsourced roles

"Ok Company - Really Lame Procurement Division"

Current Employee - Procurement in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Procurement in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good. Vacation is excellent - 27 days to start. Work from home policy is very liberal for most.

Cons

Horrible offices - WORST conditions I ever experienced - really dirty building, no frills whatsoever - you are expected to buy your own lap top, likely won't have a phone or desk. Any desk you get won't even be a cubicle, but just a desk, next to lots of other desks in a really loud, dirty work environment. The Procurement/Purchasing/Supply Chain division is really bureaucratic and LAME. Lots and lots of uneducated people. Lots of people who act as if they work for the DMV - very rude, unhelpful, "take a number" sort of attitude. A very UNsophisticated management team in this division. High turnover. Ridiculously cumbersome processes. Constantly turning people into cogs in a wheel. This isn't a career - this is the place you go when your career is over and you just want to park somewhere until you retire ... or die! Maybe I'm already dead - no one I work with noticed. Given the high level of unprofessionalism, I'm embarrassed to call some of these people "colleagues". Other smart people are stuck at a dirty desk with next to nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Hire people in Procurement who actually have degrees, experience and don't act like they work for the DMV. Look at how other big banks do Procurement. It can be done well & regularly yield incredible savings. Procurement management shouldn't treat the business line like they are stupid. Partnership is necessary (duh). Procurement doesn't have to be like the DMV. Also, big banks aren't spending millions on new Procurement systems - so unnecessary. Big banks DO invest in talented & professional, experienced staff. The fact that the Procurement management team has almost no Fortune 500 experience is astonishing.

Citizens Bank Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Senior Employer Brand Marketing Consultant

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We encourage you to use one of our many avenues to raise your concerns so we may look into them. You can reach out to the HR Service Center... More

8. "Internal Recruitment"

Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working there for just over 4 years and it has truly been a positive experience in terms of growth potential, work environment, teamwork, work/life balance, and most importantly the colleagues I have come to befriend for life.

Cons

As with any organization it has been going through some growing pains as it has gone through an IPO and now is standing on its own, but with this being said it has opened doors of opportunity for the current employees and potential candidates to come on board. Take a swim!

Advice to Management

As with any period of intense growth we all tend to at times to move quickly in terms of jumping many paces ahead when we sometimes need to take a breath to look at the present surroundings to gauge and measure the next steps.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

Benefits used to be good... scaling back now that they have gone public

Cons

Toxic attitude from top down. Re-orgs and layoffs semi-annually. Systems antiquated.

10. "Risk Manager"

Current Employee - Risk Manager in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great for advancement if on the right career track.

Cons

Frequent changes in direction and lack of clear roles and responsibilities often creates frustration.

Advice to Management

Create a roadmap that doesn't change as frequently so things get finished, burned in and assessed for enhancements.

Showing 69 of 1,463 reviews