Citizens Bank Personal Banker Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

1. "Not to bad"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment. There is a lot of coaching available if needs.

Cons

Can be stressful at times with the quarterly goals.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who stand out or another company will!

"Toxic, Disjointed"

Former Employee - Personal Banker Universal in Newport, RI
    Former Employee - Personal Banker Universal in Newport, RI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most positive aspect to this role is helping customers - when Corporate allows. And, while I didn't appreciate it at the time, their intranet and resource database is good - not great, but good.

Cons

Management is disjointed, uninformed, unrealistic and unaware. This company is very much about the Stock Holders and NOT the customers - never mind the consideration or appreciation of its employees. Further, I have never seen so much nepotism outside of a family business! I find this especially alarming considering this is a BANK!

Advice to Management

The age old adage: put yourself in the other person's shoes.
    Another: Treat others as you would have them treat you.

"Senior Personal Bankers"

Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Fairhaven, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Fairhaven, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When fully staffed the hours can be very flexible. Open seven days a week at in store locations. Time and a half on Sundays. All major holidays are paid. Offer lots of PTO

Cons

Working at an in store location the hours can be long. It did not help that our location also became understaffed. The system that is used is very outdated and slow. Everything ins done electronics and on paper so it's always double the work. The company offers very slow growth

Advice to Management

Do a better job recruiting good talent. Not all locations should be understaffed.

"Turnover is a mess"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the people can be really nice that your work with, and there are a decent amount of locations to look into.

Cons

The turnover is insane. The branches are constantly under staffed, making it hard to actually work in the branch. Also, the pressure on employees is a mess, it matters more to make our sales numbers than keep our sanity. They don't consider location when they throw numbers out to the branches, and don't understand why things can't get done when everything and everyone is constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Please hire more people. And understand that yeah, we are people so please treat the employees as such.

"Entirely disconnected from the top down. A medicore company with good colleagues."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Paid time off is very good (18 days your first year)
    -Health Insurance is through Cigna which is competitive
    -Pay is acceptable when hired (only when hired)
    -Fairly relaxed atmosphere day-to-day
    -Retirement plan matches 4%
    -Majority of the customers are wonderful

I'm extremely lucky to work with the people I do. I have a great branch manager, assistant manager, and i enjoy being around my fellow colleagues.

Cons

-Technology is almost non-existent
    -Computer systems are pathetic and beyond outdated (makes the job 10x harder)
    -No continuity, at any level. (Ask 1 question to 10 people and you'll get 10 answers)
    -Regional managers micromanage about something new every week.
    -The company has no concrete training program but they act like the training you receive is top notch. The training for new hires is disorganized and changes constantly so it creates confusion for all bank employees.
    -The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus.

There is very little opportunity to advance with this company despite what others have said. You have the ability to move to different departments or branches but that's not a promotion.

Advice to Management

If you're okay with being mediocre than keep doing what you're doing.

You need to focus on your branch managers and how they're being treated. The success of the company depends on them. If you have a satisfied and motivated BM then you'll have a satisfied and motivated branch.

"Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits decent Pay employee credit card 0% intro rate no annual fee

Cons

Still trying the old Chase way which is old, outdated and doesn't produce results

"Personal banker"

Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pto, holiday, schedule flexibility, and the employees you work with. You get to meet a variety of different customer personalities throughout your time here.

Cons

Working on the retail side of the business you are at the bottom of the totem pole. The pay is not sufficient for a banker and the pressure falls on you to hit unreal daily sales goals. I have heard many stories where bankers have opened fake accounts similar to Wells Fargo. Retail banking is unfortunately a dying business and money is their top priority which you will get none of.

Advice to Management

Take care of your customers first and the sales will come. Train employees to develop relationships and learn the products the bank offers before the aggressive sales tactics. Current customers and new customers have too many options so do not push them away

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met some great people along the way and felt like I was able to help some people manage their money better.

Cons

Typical bank. Pressured to meet unachievable sales goals. Training was limited, I felt like a lot of the skills needed to succeed weren't touched on.

"Personal Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and decent starting salary. Very competitive products and services. Excellent advancement potential and superb classroom facilitators for the required training session.

Cons

Be prepared to cold call potential and existing clients alike. Their call lists consist of the same 100-200 people that get recycled every other month or so. They are slaves to phone calls to try to get new business. Regional managers change often, so don't get used to them.

Advice to Management

Move onto the 21st century and utilize other aspects of reaching out to potential and existing clients (emails work best). Phone calls are not well-received and are usually ignored. Also, engaged and competent branch managers would be a huge step in the right direction.

"Totally backwards and doesn't make logical sense"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Westland, MI
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Westland, MI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will never fire you not
    Matter how much you mess up
    They are very desperate and old school and think there the best but are really behind

Cons

The technology is horrible , the citizens way is the totally opposite of all other banks and
    Doesn't make and sense which is why the company is crumbling at the hands of investors who bought them out from Royal Bank of Scotland and refuse to
    Do anything to make our jobs easier. Very annoying work culture you are micro managed and it's very conservative. They a dinosaur company and if they don't get hip with the times and processes they will die out

Advice to Management

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR SYSTEMS , PAYROLL SYSTEM , BRAND , AND PROCESSES WE SPEND TO MUCH TIME DOING AVATAR AND SALES TRACKERS THEN ACTUALLY WORKING