Citizens Bank Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 65 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

"Make it or Break it"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Citizens Bank is overall an excellent company to work for. Even just starting at an entry level position, the compensation is excellent and includes paid training (mileage and travel time.) There are many avenues to advance through the company and if you succeed and do well (very well), your hard work and success do not go unnoticed. You are given great teams and partners to work with and learn from. If you work as hard as I do, management has your back and always will. The company promotes from within often, as it is most beneficial for all to have management and licensed banking employees that are familiar with the company and banking in general. Again, overall, it is an excellent place to work and if you're the right fit you can achieve great things at Citizens Bank.

Cons

The primary downside to working at Citizens Bank involves their sales based culture. It's hard for an industry like a bank to preach sales to their employees as primary focus, but preach exceptional customer service to clients. They implement sales practices that directly contradict "doing what's right for the customer."
    For example, their incentive program for managers and bankers alike. We are to push checking accounts on anyone and everyone - with I kid you not - ever increasing yet already astronomical goals. I'm talking 21 new customer checking accounts per banker in my branch specifically - and an overall checking account goal of roughly 150 total with new and existing. It is not just a daunting task, but counterproductive to one of our other incentive modifiers, customer satisfaction. Customers who do sign up for these extra checking accounts are often hit with fees and unhappy within weeks of opening. It's a win-lose situation.

Advice to Management

I understand the value of growing households, but there is no value in unnecessary checking accounts that don't season and are closed prematurely. They impact the P&L negatively and I would like to see them removed from incentive goals altogether.

2. "Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love that citizens is a company that wants to see their employees succeed. The confidence my upper management and trainers have shown me, enables me to show that confidence to my customers. Being an Universal Banker allows me so many different opportunities in the future within the company. I admire how Citizens works hard at showing value to their customers to build that personal trusting relationship for their financial needs.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons to working for citizens.

Advice to Management

I truly believe that my Branch Manager, Regional Manager, and Operations Manager are the best. My only advice is to keep encouraging your Bankers the way do, because it truly helps esp. when your new.

"Fraud Analyst"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice. There's a good variety of what you can do for the company so the work isn't monotonous.

Cons

Pay is too low. Workload is too much in some cases as there are unrealistic expectations. No room for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Give a chance to make more money for the people who are putting in a real effort

"Horrible credit culture"

Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Above average health benefits, decent product offering. Large bank with a lot of capabilities - decent middle market or corporate bank. In fact, the bank is great! Great online banking, many services are free, the ones you pay for are great also. Unfortunately, It's the people in middle management that are running it into the ground.

Cons

Very tight credit culture but no one wants to collaborate to find ways to get things done. Turnaround times for commercial credit requests are a minimum of 3 months. You are managed by reports and not people - this speaks again to their inability to collaborate and work together. Overall, management hasn't adapted to new ways of doing things. Credit side of the house is the same: You will never know as much as them, your opinion is irrelevant, and they make decisions the same way they did when they began their career. Influences and people of power are living in their glory days and haven't embraced the changes that have gone on over the last decade in the financial industry. Senior management has SERIOUS TURNOVER. Goals are not being met, but not for lack of effort. Mellon Bank customers are especially not happy with Citizens. Citizens has left the community banking model and every customer and employee are disposable.

Overall, very poor, unhappy environment to work in. Do not work here if you want to progress. You won't make your goals because you aren't set up for success. You don't have support from anyone and are only a number.

Advice to Management

MIDDLE MANAGEMENT

-Stop managing reports and manage people.
    -Stop living in 1995 - we get it. You WERE successful THEN. Get over your past.
    -Stop hiring your friends from prior banks. They are helping you run it into the ground.
    -Compensate fairly

5. "Fraud Analyst"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is offered weekly and the people are easy to get along with.

Cons

Customers expect Citizens to be like other financial institutions they bank with that offer different services that Citizens doesn't have.

"WORST BANK EVER!!! SLEAZY, DISHONEST, UNETHICAL"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not any-closest place there is to hell on earth

Cons

The call center is a cesspool of criminals who threaten, harrass and abuse co-workers (and customers). Management does nothing but blame the victim to protect themselves from a potential lawsuit. The company regularly cheats employees out of monthly bonuses of several hundred dollars-by finding a "mistake"in one of their thousands of calls. Most employees only last a few weeks/ months. They do nothing to reward or promote top performers-in fact they try to keep you where you are. I have worked for three banks and this is by far the WORST. They scam Senior Citizens by product pushing phony gimmicks like "free online coupons" (to Senior Citizens who don't even own a computer) who then get charged $11 monthly fee for not cancelling after 30 days. Most don't notice for months or years till it's too late for a refund. Run, don't walk, away from this horrible organization with awful people-from the very top down.

Advice to Management

Sleazy, unethical and dishonest from the top down!

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can move up with the company, good pay, and managers are wonderful.

Cons

must stay at your position for 1 year before moving into another

Advice to Management

none doing a great job.

8. "Good Place to work at"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities to move up the ladder fast

Cons

100% Sales Based. If you do not like to sell, this job is not for you. Work/Life Balance is not good. Long hours

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan and not change things every few months

"Entirely disconnected from the top down. A medicore company with good colleagues."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Paid time off is very good (18 days your first year)
    -Health Insurance is through Cigna which is competitive
    -Pay is acceptable when hired (only when hired)
    -Fairly relaxed atmosphere day-to-day
    -Retirement plan matches 4%
    -Majority of the customers are wonderful

I'm extremely lucky to work with the people I do. I have a great branch manager, assistant manager, and i enjoy being around my fellow colleagues.

Cons

-Technology is almost non-existent
    -Computer systems are pathetic and beyond outdated (makes the job 10x harder)
    -No continuity, at any level. (Ask 1 question to 10 people and you'll get 10 answers)
    -Regional managers micromanage about something new every week.
    -The company has no concrete training program but they act like the training you receive is top notch. The training for new hires is disorganized and changes constantly so it creates confusion for all bank employees.
    -The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus.

There is very little opportunity to advance with this company despite what others have said. You have the ability to move to different departments or branches but that's not a promotion.

Advice to Management

If you're okay with being mediocre than keep doing what you're doing.

You need to focus on your branch managers and how they're being treated. The success of the company depends on them. If you have a satisfied and motivated BM then you'll have a satisfied and motivated branch.

10. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Bank Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Bank Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    PTO
    Decent compensation
    Depending on the career path you wish to choose, you can advance fairly fast

Cons

Not much work life balance for managers
    Poor scheduling options
    Assistant managers should be compensated more in line with a branch manager

Advice to Management

Change the compensation plan for assistant managers. You would have more buy in to the branch goals from them.

Showing 71 of 1,600 reviews