Citizens Bank Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 55 reviews)

• Stressful quarterly/ monthly sales goals (in 87 reviews)

"Branch Manger"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary/benefits, 27 days PTO, bank holidays.

Cons

The incentive program has decreased significantly over the years. Sales pressure

Advice to Management

staff branches with more tellers to ensure customer and colleague satisfaction

2. "Think Long and hard about joining this bank!"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off
    Bank Holidays
    Some co-workers
    Discount on some citizens products great if you are a home owner or looking to buy.

Cons

Everything unfortunately. Let's start with the training you are in training on and off for 4 months as soon as you get a grasp of what you are doing guess what back to training for a week and teller training was two weeks I believe. The incentive plan is a joke and in almost a year I still don't get it. I was told by my recruiter I'd make as much as I did in commission with my previous employer and that's not even close to being the case. I do believe this is why the company throws a high hourly rate at you to begin with. It's also a joke that as a new employee you make more than people who have been with the bank for years and are in the same position. This creates hostility towards you the new employee. There's also a lot of "I've been with this company 30 years" speeches that go on from people who actively steal your attempts to make a living by taking all checking accounts for themselves. If you are hired as a universal banker be prepared to live on the teller line and when you are able to do banker maybe once a week be prepared to find sales and make lots of cold calls. You have to telemarket every Monday night. Yes every Monday and if a bank holiday falls on a Monday you stay that following Tuesday. Cold calls every Monday usually last until about 7pm. You also when on banker have call times that you constantly have to make and try to gain business. During business hours calling isn't that bad but calling someone on a Monday when they are about to have supper is one of my least favorite things to do. The company is all about sales and making sales but in my honest opinion doesn't pay enough for the pressure that is being put on. Most higher ups in this company only care about the bottom line and that's it. The old school managers in this company also show favoritism towards certain employees. If lack of money in your pocket, being micro-managed constantly, and being managed by someone who has no business being a manager is your thing sign up and make a career at Citizens you'll love it!! I also think they make the incentive plan confusing so you don't realize until it's too late that you made a career mistake. Don't let the recruiters lie to you and tell you you'll be out by 5 everyday that happens maybe twice in a 5 day work week.

Advice to Management

Pay better
    Less micromanaging
    Better incentive understanding

"Personal banker"

Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pto, holiday, schedule flexibility, and the employees you work with. You get to meet a variety of different customer personalities throughout your time here.

Cons

Working on the retail side of the business you are at the bottom of the totem pole. The pay is not sufficient for a banker and the pressure falls on you to hit unreal daily sales goals. I have heard many stories where bankers have opened fake accounts similar to Wells Fargo. Retail banking is unfortunately a dying business and money is their top priority which you will get none of.

Advice to Management

Take care of your customers first and the sales will come. Train employees to develop relationships and learn the products the bank offers before the aggressive sales tactics. Current customers and new customers have too many options so do not push them away

5. "Branch Manager"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

Pay, incentives, leadership team. Going to work everyday doesn't suck!

Cons

Regulation changes, incentive changes often, minimum sales requirements.

Advice to Management

Stick with it, great annual 401k 2% additional to your salary. Lots of fun if you have a great staff.

"Really a sales job"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, vacation time, 13 paid holidays, work place environment, customer relationships and 401k options.

Cons

high sales goals, micromanaging, cold calling, sales pressure, constant changes to commission, constant changes to products, constant changes to proper ways of doing things, and dilapidated work area.

Advice to Management

Customers like to have the same person help them because they trust them. That matters more than what that person can sell to them. You earn customers when you fix their problems not with your smooth talk.

"Licensed Banker"

Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay. moderately decent incentive plan. No work/life balance issues. the company is very good at making a first impression to new employees, however it quickly changes once you get started. See cons.

Cons

I've noticed a lot of colleagues don't really care or support what the company is working toward. They will put on a face for the show. The managers sit in their offices on the occasional conference call, spending way too long looking at reports, and staring blankly at a computer screen while they make their employees make cold calls all day and generate sales. Management does not produce sales.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your staff like children. Improve side by side coaching if you truly have their best interest in mind.

"The goals are really high"

Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can make a lot of money from bonus, pays more than other banks in the area, doesn't require any degree, pretty good company

Cons

Goals too high to meet, branch stats can stop you from getting a bonus even if you work hard to get accounts

9. "Training"

Current Employee - Training in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Training in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank (More than 8 years)

Pros

Trainers are very knowledgeable and experienced.

Cons

A lot of information handed to you to know right away

Advice to Management

none

10. "Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, Time Off, hours can be good if not in an instore branch

Cons

work life balance, upper management would rather hire externally than promote

Advice to Management

develop internal talent

"They can do much better"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

It is close to home

Cons

Turn over rate is so high, they cannot keep people to stay
    IT is 85% sales job and they do not really tell you this like they should.
    Pay is not so good when you have over 10 years on the phones
    Promotions are not there, they rather bring someone off the streets.
    No bidding system so you are stuck on the same shift for over 3 years

Advice to Management

Look at your employees more and there needs and you just might be able to keep people. Look at the hiring process to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Showing 62 of 1,338 reviews