Citizens Bank Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can move up with the company, good pay, and managers are wonderful.

Cons

must stay at your position for 1 year before moving into another

Advice to Management

none doing a great job.

2. "Good Place to work at"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities to move up the ladder fast

Cons

100% Sales Based. If you do not like to sell, this job is not for you. Work/Life Balance is not good. Long hours

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan and not change things every few months

"Entirely disconnected from the top down. A medicore company with good colleagues."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Paid time off is very good (18 days your first year)
    -Health Insurance is through Cigna which is competitive
    -Pay is acceptable when hired (only when hired)
    -Fairly relaxed atmosphere day-to-day
    -Retirement plan matches 4%
    -Majority of the customers are wonderful

I'm extremely lucky to work with the people I do. I have a great branch manager, assistant manager, and i enjoy being around my fellow colleagues.

Cons

-Technology is almost non-existent
    -Computer systems are pathetic and beyond outdated (makes the job 10x harder)
    -No continuity, at any level. (Ask 1 question to 10 people and you'll get 10 answers)
    -Regional managers micromanage about something new every week.
    -The company has no concrete training program but they act like the training you receive is top notch. The training for new hires is disorganized and changes constantly so it creates confusion for all bank employees.
    -The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus.

There is very little opportunity to advance with this company despite what others have said. You have the ability to move to different departments or branches but that's not a promotion.

Advice to Management

If you're okay with being mediocre than keep doing what you're doing.

You need to focus on your branch managers and how they're being treated. The success of the company depends on them. If you have a satisfied and motivated BM then you'll have a satisfied and motivated branch.

5. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Bank Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Bank Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    PTO
    Decent compensation
    Depending on the career path you wish to choose, you can advance fairly fast

Cons

Not much work life balance for managers
    Poor scheduling options
    Assistant managers should be compensated more in line with a branch manager

Advice to Management

Change the compensation plan for assistant managers. You would have more buy in to the branch goals from them.

6. "Associate Licensed Banker"

Current Employee - Associate Licensed Banker in Plum, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Licensed Banker in Plum, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Base Salary, Decent Commission, Strongly Promotes Professional Growth, Excellent Benefits, Strong Leadership, Colleague Focused, Plentiful Opportunities for Rapid Advancement, Incredibly Adaptive to Customer Needs

Cons

Aggressive Sales Goals, Call Nights for Bankers, Both Weekly and Daily Sales Tracking, Older Equipment and Branches, Multiple Computer Software Programs Needed to Service Accounts

Advice to Management

N/A

"Think Long and hard about joining this bank!"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off
    Bank Holidays
    Some co-workers
    Discount on some citizens products great if you are a home owner or looking to buy.

Cons

Everything unfortunately. Let's start with the training you are in training on and off for 4 months as soon as you get a grasp of what you are doing guess what back to training for a week and teller training was two weeks I believe. The incentive plan is a joke and in almost a year I still don't get it. I was told by my recruiter I'd make as much as I did in commission with my previous employer and that's not even close to being the case. I do believe this is why the company throws a high hourly rate at you to begin with. It's also a joke that as a new employee you make more than people who have been with the bank for years and are in the same position. This creates hostility towards you the new employee. There's also a lot of "I've been with this company 30 years" speeches that go on from people who actively steal your attempts to make a living by taking all checking accounts for themselves. If you are hired as a universal banker be prepared to live on the teller line and when you are able to do banker maybe once a week be prepared to find sales and make lots of cold calls. You have to telemarket every Monday night. Yes every Monday and if a bank holiday falls on a Monday you stay that following Tuesday. Cold calls every Monday usually last until about 7pm. You also when on banker have call times that you constantly have to make and try to gain business. During business hours calling isn't that bad but calling someone on a Monday when they are about to have supper is one of my least favorite things to do. The company is all about sales and making sales but in my honest opinion doesn't pay enough for the pressure that is being put on. Most higher ups in this company only care about the bottom line and that's it. The old school managers in this company also show favoritism towards certain employees. If lack of money in your pocket, being micro-managed constantly, and being managed by someone who has no business being a manager is your thing sign up and make a career at Citizens you'll love it!! I also think they make the incentive plan confusing so you don't realize until it's too late that you made a career mistake. Don't let the recruiters lie to you and tell you you'll be out by 5 everyday that happens maybe twice in a 5 day work week.

Advice to Management

Pay better
    Less micromanaging
    Better incentive understanding

"Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Burgettstown, PA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Burgettstown, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours and health benefits.

Cons

Short staffed, goals and incentives compromised. Poor role playing by manager. Teller is 80% while Universal Banker is 20%.

Advice to Management

Have older managers learn BIC to increase customer satisfaction surveys. I've had long standing customers ask, "why doesn't that manager of yours get up here to help you"? (as I managed the teller line - solo - for up to three hours at a time - freshly out of teller training - with no one else on the teller line).
    I am spending 80% of my time on the teller line - which limits me to my BLOC calling, Your Place Banking, and account opening, let alone all colleague calling. I feel it's a bit much. Very frustrating ... If you want success - allow ample time.

"Personal banker"

Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pto, holiday, schedule flexibility, and the employees you work with. You get to meet a variety of different customer personalities throughout your time here.

Cons

Working on the retail side of the business you are at the bottom of the totem pole. The pay is not sufficient for a banker and the pressure falls on you to hit unreal daily sales goals. I have heard many stories where bankers have opened fake accounts similar to Wells Fargo. Retail banking is unfortunately a dying business and money is their top priority which you will get none of.

Advice to Management

Take care of your customers first and the sales will come. Train employees to develop relationships and learn the products the bank offers before the aggressive sales tactics. Current customers and new customers have too many options so do not push them away

"Teller line"

Former Employee - Management in Baden, PA
    Former Employee - Management in Baden, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, nice people. Buildings are clean. Has lunch area in some locations.

Cons

You are required to spy on people's accounts. The need for referrals is so high that employees make you open another account so that the branch gets credit for sales.

Advice to Management

Worry more about the customer and less about referral leads. The customer is the top priority.

"Branch Manger"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary/benefits, 27 days PTO, bank holidays.

Cons

The incentive program has decreased significantly over the years. Sales pressure

Advice to Management

staff branches with more tellers to ensure customer and colleague satisfaction

Showing 75 of 1,424 reviews