Citizens Bank Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

3.3
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company really stands behind commitment to community and work/life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Great work environment, good benefits and friendly management (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 67 reviews)

• The sales goals can be high if you are not great at sales (in 92 reviews)

1. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Don't treat their top talent well. Lost several good employees dude to unwillingness to retain top talent.

Advice to Management

Be competitive to retain top talent.

2. "It might be them, it might be me but..."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large infrastructure means a lot of job postings within the company. Lots of branches provide flexibility with life changes, etc. Training stretches over 3 months so you can't say they don't try. If you're in your early 20s and don't have a real path yet, a Personal Banker position offers a safe salary and a great opportunity to learn about sales and finance. A little bit of customer service/sales experience should be enough to get you an interview, at least, and you could a whole lot worse south of 30.

Cons

Business approach is still rooted in outdated marketing techniques and antiquated sales goal priorities. Bottom line is all about quantity over quality. They say they want you to build relationships with your current customers, but they base payouts almost solely on new low-end business that you basically have to get by pestering shoppers at a grocery store. I realize this is mostly rooted in my own sales/business philosophy countering with theirs so I won't go on (though I could) and I'll give them a 3 (though I'd prefer 2.5). It's a safe salary and they seem committed to making it work with new hires though, so it certainly could be worse if you're looking for a start. I am hoping in time to work out the kinks, but again when the sales strategies so central to the job are so skewed toward telemarketing and shoulder tapping, it's tough to see a long future together.

Advice to Management

Put a closer eye on your Branch Managers. I have witnessed more duds than studs at this position early on. Might be them, might be the company breaking them, but either way a lot of work is slipping between the cracks because of Managers who either don't care or don't know how to do the job.

3. "Citizens Bank "The Bank for the Citizen""

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customer satisfaction focused culture. I love that there are different sections of the initial training. They involve a lot of actual hands on practice as well as role play to help newbies get the gist and the hang of customer experience as well as the navigation of different systems and dilemmas they might face in the real world or real bank situations. Every person I have encountered from training to management have all been helpful and willing to shed some light and provide comfort in knowing and understanding my role and duties as a Banker.

Cons

No Downsides to speak of currently. There's always room for improvement but I don't see those areas yet. Keep up what you do.

"Make it or Break it"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Citizens Bank is overall an excellent company to work for. Even just starting at an entry level position, the compensation is excellent and includes paid training (mileage and travel time.) There are many avenues to advance through the company and if you succeed and do well (very well), your hard work and success do not go unnoticed. You are given great teams and partners to work with and learn from. If you work as hard as I do, management has your back and always will. The company promotes from within often, as it is most beneficial for all to have management and licensed banking employees that are familiar with the company and banking in general. Again, overall, it is an excellent place to work and if you're the right fit you can achieve great things at Citizens Bank.

Cons

The primary downside to working at Citizens Bank involves their sales based culture. It's hard for an industry like a bank to preach sales to their employees as primary focus, but preach exceptional customer service to clients. They implement sales practices that directly contradict "doing what's right for the customer."
    For example, their incentive program for managers and bankers alike. We are to push checking accounts on anyone and everyone - with I kid you not - ever increasing yet already astronomical goals. I'm talking 21 new customer checking accounts per banker in my branch specifically - and an overall checking account goal of roughly 150 total with new and existing. It is not just a daunting task, but counterproductive to one of our other incentive modifiers, customer satisfaction. Customers who do sign up for these extra checking accounts are often hit with fees and unhappy within weeks of opening. It's a win-lose situation.

Advice to Management

I understand the value of growing households, but there is no value in unnecessary checking accounts that don't season and are closed prematurely. They impact the P&L negatively and I would like to see them removed from incentive goals altogether.

5. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Mount Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Mount Lebanon, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits for child centers was nice

Cons

Very hostile work environment from mnger

Advice to Management

Treat someone with respect please

"Beware"

Current Employee - Employee in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Meeting minimum word count.

Cons

Low pay, unobtainable goals, empty promises, inconsistent messages

Advice to Management

Work/Life Balance is inconsistent at-best. Mostly two completely different cultures between the in-store and traditional branches. Almost all of the upper management see the weekends as great opportunities for sales and customer service but only work 40 hours Monday thru Friday while line level employees are run into the ground working five (sometimes six days a week, but overtime is the devil and is mostly a no-no) days a week with some ungodly shifts 9-715 during the week. While the bank is open 7 days a week there may be times you're scheduled 9-10-11 days in a row because of the smaller staff inside each location, shifts will be obviously shorter during these streaks however, that will start to put a toll a person especially in an environment that is cut-throat for production and sales on an everyday basis. Scheduling is different per branch, but meetings, call nights, and conference calls will force employees to drop everything they're doing inside or outside of work to accommodate these last minute changes (If changes cannot be made to accommodate the bank of what is asked of the employee, then a negative vibe is sent out as the employee is seen as insubordinate or not understanding of the business). Incentive plans change so often that goals are mostly not achievable and if not ALL the goals are met then the bonus is cut. The little incentive that MAY be paid out is extremely dissatisfying and demotivating for the amount of work that it takes for a quarterly bonus to be issued. No job is perfect and while I completely understand that, no one deserves to be treated like a number instead of a person. The amount of empty promises that are handed out just like promotional flyers are not only irrational but demotivating for anyone that wants to succeed in this company.

7. "Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love that citizens is a company that wants to see their employees succeed. The confidence my upper management and trainers have shown me, enables me to show that confidence to my customers. Being an Universal Banker allows me so many different opportunities in the future within the company. I admire how Citizens works hard at showing value to their customers to build that personal trusting relationship for their financial needs.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons to working for citizens.

Advice to Management

I truly believe that my Branch Manager, Regional Manager, and Operations Manager are the best. My only advice is to keep encouraging your Bankers the way do, because it truly helps esp. when your new.

"Fraud Analyst"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice. There's a good variety of what you can do for the company so the work isn't monotonous.

Cons

Pay is too low. Workload is too much in some cases as there are unrealistic expectations. No room for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Give a chance to make more money for the people who are putting in a real effort

"Horrible credit culture"

Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Above average health benefits, decent product offering. Large bank with a lot of capabilities - decent middle market or corporate bank. In fact, the bank is great! Great online banking, many services are free, the ones you pay for are great also. Unfortunately, It's the people in middle management that are running it into the ground.

Cons

Very tight credit culture but no one wants to collaborate to find ways to get things done. Turnaround times for commercial credit requests are a minimum of 3 months. You are managed by reports and not people - this speaks again to their inability to collaborate and work together. Overall, management hasn't adapted to new ways of doing things. Credit side of the house is the same: You will never know as much as them, your opinion is irrelevant, and they make decisions the same way they did when they began their career. Influences and people of power are living in their glory days and haven't embraced the changes that have gone on over the last decade in the financial industry. Senior management has SERIOUS TURNOVER. Goals are not being met, but not for lack of effort. Mellon Bank customers are especially not happy with Citizens. Citizens has left the community banking model and every customer and employee are disposable.

Overall, very poor, unhappy environment to work in. Do not work here if you want to progress. You won't make your goals because you aren't set up for success. You don't have support from anyone and are only a number.

Advice to Management

MIDDLE MANAGEMENT

-Stop managing reports and manage people.
    -Stop living in 1995 - we get it. You WERE successful THEN. Get over your past.
    -Stop hiring your friends from prior banks. They are helping you run it into the ground.
    -Compensate fairly

10. "Fraud Analyst"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is offered weekly and the people are easy to get along with.

Cons

Customers expect Citizens to be like other financial institutions they bank with that offer different services that Citizens doesn't have.

Showing 86 of 1,656 reviews