Citizens Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

"WORST BANK EVER!!! SLEAZY, DISHONEST, UNETHICAL"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not any-closest place there is to hell on earth

Cons

The call center is a cesspool of criminals who threaten, harrass and abuse co-workers (and customers). Management does nothing but blame the victim to protect themselves from a potential lawsuit. The company regularly cheats employees out of monthly bonuses of several hundred dollars-by finding a "mistake"in one of their thousands of calls. Most employees only last a few weeks/ months. They do nothing to reward or promote top performers-in fact they try to keep you where you are. I have worked for three banks and this is by far the WORST. They scam Senior Citizens by product pushing phony gimmicks like "free online coupons" (to Senior Citizens who don't even own a computer) who then get charged $11 monthly fee for not cancelling after 30 days. Most don't notice for months or years till it's too late for a refund. Run, don't walk, away from this horrible organization with awful people-from the very top down.

Advice to Management

Sleazy, unethical and dishonest from the top down!

"Buisness banking officer"

Former Employee - Business Banking Officer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Business Banking Officer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work schedule and benefits.

Cons

Everything, senior management doesn't care about you or anyone else. They just want numbers and will fire you in a second of you have one bad quarter. Don't work there it is a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

You are not curing cancer you sell banking products. Invest in your people instead of intimidating them. One day you will retire/ get fired or bought out and do you think citizens will really care about you? Start actiylike a decent human being and treat people that way.

"Worst Job Ever"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none. do I have to meet a minimum of words?

Cons

horrible pay structure. misleading benefits.

Advice to Management

change everything

"Shady"

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Cranston, RI

Pros

Salary and benefits weren't bad

Cons

Crooked management, need to butt kiss management to get anywhere, no one lets you know about any back history about projects, throw you in and is expected to know everything about a project you have never seen and was just told you were on literally 5 mins earlier. You are setup to fail. Many laid off but bring in cheaper help with no clue.

Advice to Management

Keep people with knowledge, train, restructure management.

"Not that great."

Current Employee - Teller in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Teller in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to bonus, bank hours and holidays which is great. It's a good stepping stone but not much other than that.

Cons

Hard to use PTO how you want, forced to only take weeks at a time not cooperative whatsoever. Manager will turn their back on you if needed to benefit themselves. Poor compensation, asked for a raise and got majorly disrespected, when you put in your two weeks they act like they care but don't offer anything to try and keep you. Poor poor management and incredibly high turn over rate. I've been at my location for 2 years and have seen at least 10 people come and go.

Advice to Management

Need to screen better for employees and crack down on managers. Need to have better compensation for people who are sticking it out with the company trying to stay.

"The manager makes your life miserable."

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of many because of how bad your treated by a sexist manager who only hires females and will walk over any man who gets in her way

Cons

I don't know where to begin let's just say stay away from this location. I guess I was paid OK

"Most horrible bank I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Senior Teller in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Turnover is tremendous because management has a different set of rules for the same job roles. Management only tells you what you want to hear. I read these negative reviews and thought, not me. These people are too sensitive, surely this bank cannot be that bad. All of the reviews are spot on....IT IS BAD! Do not work for this bank.
    It is made known that you are an expendable employee no matter how hard you work or what skills/ideas bring to the table. Way too many changes in applications and programs so you're always having to learn a new way to do something and handle customer dissatisfaction/corrections when it goes wrong-and it always goes wrong. No Leadership.
    Communication is one way and supervisors are not concerned with what is going on from day to day. Undisciplined, unethical, and unprofessional! If you work here and have any amount of integrity; it will be compromised by the time you leave. No matter how hard HR tries to sell you on how great this bank is, don't buy into it. Most coworkers hate being here and cannot wait to get out....including me, (HORRIBLE) environment....!

Cons

Highly stressful environment, i remember days without having lunch, everyone throws each other under the bus!

Advice to Management

Please stop hiring managers that they don't have experience specially they've had never been in banking environment.

Citizens Bank Response

Apr 24, 2017 – Senior Employer Brand Marketing Consultant

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We would like to hear from you to learn more about the concerns you have raised so we may look into them. We have a number of channels for ... More

"Finally ending a 12-year prison sentence at this financial institution."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brief, fleeting nostalgic feelings of the pre-RBS days - specifically, before employees were labeled as "colleagues." I'm talking about the days when employees were shown genuine appreciation; not just by generous benefits/decent salary and increases/time off/minimum of twice-annual employee appreciation events/random gifts, etc. BUT by management's genuine eagerness and frequency to thank deserving people for doing a good job and working hard. Unfortunately, when the present-day reality sets in, that nostalgia turns into loathing - both towards Citizens Bank and myself for staying at this company as long as I did. Long story short, ZERO PROS.

Cons

After the RBS took over and long after they were through destroying this place, so many good things have been stolen from employees; I'm not even sure if I can remember them all. Most of all, though, I'm sure that years of my life have been shaved off due to the overwhelming stress of dealing with a decade of politics, oppressive and unnecessary rules/policies, discrimination, stonewalling to outright months-long silent treatments from my boss, favoritism (of others), blatant double standards, etc. I could go on forever.

The so-called "benefits" have been reduced to almost nothing. For example, since my start date in 2005, I've lost 10 vacation days that were once provided to employees as a loyalty bonus for each 5-year increment of employment. When Citizens rolled all sick time, vacation time, and personal days into "PTO," (i.e., paid time off) they surreptitiously took away 7 days of time off. The following year, they went on to remove the option to purchase 5 days of PTO time. So, in the 12 years of working here, I've actually never gained any paid time off; rather, I have actually lost paid time off the more time I've spent working here!

Now, on to management... honestly, my job stopped being important to me long ago, once my mental and physical health were impacted by this toxic work environment, but that never translated into me not caring a great deal about the work I produced. Nothing drove me to madness more than the absolute laziness and disregard some coworkers' had for their jobs and my - and other - managers' ability to turn the other cheek when it was brought to their attention. Somehow, *I* became the problem child because I kept fighting for things to be done correctly and accountability of those doing wrong! Not only that, when I encountered several significant personal tragedies over the years, to include the suicide of a family member, I was basically exiled by my manager. Yes, he retained me as an employee, but his sheer lack to demonstrate any sort of compassion *EVER* for my situations - to which I had no control - was shocking. He actually replied to an email I sent him, confidentiality notifying him of a family member's death, with "k."

Next, there's the issue of the physical workplace. Most people cringe when thinking about a typical office setting with cubicles. Frankly, I would have taken a pay cut to have my cubicle back. If you can picture Chinese sweatshop conditions, that is exactly how the my workplace facility is. There are literally hundreds of long tables with thousands of computers and office chairs filling the building... and nothing separating one person from the next. You can expect people invading your privacy non-stop all day, every day. There is never a moment of peace. Ever. It's just constant distractions by other people talking at/around you or slamming into your chair, while you're sitting in it, of course. No normal human being can work to even half capacity in those conditions. As one can imagine, illnesses are always being transmitted back and forth by people being forced to be in such close contact with each other. But what choice do they have? Employees are only allotted 4 sick days per year before being given a warning or written up.

There are not enough bathrooms for the staggering number of employees in the building so you're often stuck waiting in line. It reminds me of a bad concert or crowded train station. Also, there's always at least one broken or overflowing toilet and one disabled hand soap container. At least once a day, but usually more, the stalls are out of toilet paper and seat protectors. To keep this review from violating the community guidelines, I will omit the horrific scenes that I've stumbled upon in the bathrooms more times than I'd like to admit. You would think that cro-magnons lived in the building... do these people actually do these wretched, vile things in their own homes?

Anyhow, the final straw for me was/is my experience with human resources. The people in the Leave Program Office and Employee Relations are entirely devoid of any compassion and common sense. They do not exist to help employees UNLESS it fundamentally benefits the company in some way. I won't go into detail, but violating federal employment laws are commonplace. If you have a serious medical condition/disability, for instance, that requires Citizens to adjust their working conditions to help enable a person to do their job - and they don't like what you're asking - your federal civil rights will be violated. Reaching out to Employee Relations and to Citizens' (ironically-named) Ethics Hotline will get you nowhere. I suggest you start seeking the advice of a good attorney.

Overall, Citizens Bank will do nothing but quickly run the average, honest, hard-working individual into the ground. You will, at the very least, question your self-worth and sanity by working here. Trust me, this is the epitome of a toxic work environment. The narcissistic trolls in management, who like to think of themselves as leaders, are just the icing on the toxic cake. Show that you love and value yourself by seeking employment elsewhere. It took me long enough, but I finally woke up and did just that.

Advice to Management

No point in listing anything here since management doesn't actually take advice...

Citizens Bank Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Senior Employer Brand Marketing Consultant

We’re disappointed to hear that your time at Citizens was anything less than rewarding. We’re committed to ensuring that we provide a work environment that makes all of our employees feel valued ... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The end of the day, when you get to leave!

Cons

Citizens recruits with big talks of bonus plus salary and work-life balance
     Folks, at Citizens Bank, there is NO work-life balance. If you go on the interview, ask in detail about bonus plan and ask realistically how many colleague actually hit bonus and what is the average.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and set realistic goals. Stop treating your colleagues like they don't know what they are doing. Most of you in Senior and Executive Management would never last working in a branch with what you have placed for expectations. Again, open your eyes and get out of your dream bubble and lethe today's reality set in. Spend some time in the real world. And executive management, I hope you realize whenever you go out on visits, they are all dog and pony shows. Your Regional Managers help you set up for the show (visit). Up to and including filling out fake customer scenarios in banker bo0ks so it looks like everyone is following your so called sales plan. Colleague engagement is at the lowest level in the past 18 years.

"Think Long and hard about joining this bank!"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off
    Bank Holidays
    Some co-workers
    Discount on some citizens products great if you are a home owner or looking to buy.

Cons

Everything unfortunately. Let's start with the training you are in training on and off for 4 months as soon as you get a grasp of what you are doing guess what back to training for a week and teller training was two weeks I believe. The incentive plan is a joke and in almost a year I still don't get it. I was told by my recruiter I'd make as much as I did in commission with my previous employer and that's not even close to being the case. I do believe this is why the company throws a high hourly rate at you to begin with. It's also a joke that as a new employee you make more than people who have been with the bank for years and are in the same position. This creates hostility towards you the new employee. There's also a lot of "I've been with this company 30 years" speeches that go on from people who actively steal your attempts to make a living by taking all checking accounts for themselves. If you are hired as a universal banker be prepared to live on the teller line and when you are able to do banker maybe once a week be prepared to find sales and make lots of cold calls. You have to telemarket every Monday night. Yes every Monday and if a bank holiday falls on a Monday you stay that following Tuesday. Cold calls every Monday usually last until about 7pm. You also when on banker have call times that you constantly have to make and try to gain business. During business hours calling isn't that bad but calling someone on a Monday when they are about to have supper is one of my least favorite things to do. The company is all about sales and making sales but in my honest opinion doesn't pay enough for the pressure that is being put on. Most higher ups in this company only care about the bottom line and that's it. The old school managers in this company also show favoritism towards certain employees. If lack of money in your pocket, being micro-managed constantly, and being managed by someone who has no business being a manager is your thing sign up and make a career at Citizens you'll love it!! I also think they make the incentive plan confusing so you don't realize until it's too late that you made a career mistake. Don't let the recruiters lie to you and tell you you'll be out by 5 everyday that happens maybe twice in a 5 day work week.

Advice to Management

Pay better
    Less micromanaging