Citizens Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

"Horrible credit culture"

Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Above average health benefits, decent product offering. Large bank with a lot of capabilities - decent middle market or corporate bank. In fact, the bank is great! Great online banking, many services are free, the ones you pay for are great also. Unfortunately, It's the people in middle management that are running it into the ground.

Cons

Very tight credit culture but no one wants to collaborate to find ways to get things done. Turnaround times for commercial credit requests are a minimum of 3 months. You are managed by reports and not people - this speaks again to their inability to collaborate and work together. Overall, management hasn't adapted to new ways of doing things. Credit side of the house is the same: You will never know as much as them, your opinion is irrelevant, and they make decisions the same way they did when they began their career. Influences and people of power are living in their glory days and haven't embraced the changes that have gone on over the last decade in the financial industry. Senior management has SERIOUS TURNOVER. Goals are not being met, but not for lack of effort. Mellon Bank customers are especially not happy with Citizens. Citizens has left the community banking model and every customer and employee are disposable.

Overall, very poor, unhappy environment to work in. Do not work here if you want to progress. You won't make your goals because you aren't set up for success. You don't have support from anyone and are only a number.

Advice to Management

MIDDLE MANAGEMENT

-Stop managing reports and manage people.
    -Stop living in 1995 - we get it. You WERE successful THEN. Get over your past.
    -Stop hiring your friends from prior banks. They are helping you run it into the ground.
    -Compensate fairly

2. "Treasury Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Treasury Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are not long...no late nights or weekends.

Cons

The CFG Treasury group is very male dominated with no diversity and no appetite to promote women.

3. "Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Erie, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, vacation, federal holidays, dependable employer

Cons

low commission structure, high turnover

"Wall Street Strikes"

Current Employee - Risk Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Volunteerism and community involvement are valued in the company.

Cons

New publicly held company is looking to cut expenses although earnings reports are the best in the history of the company. Layoffs!

"Toxic, Disjointed"

Former Employee - Personal Banker Universal in Newport, RI
    Former Employee - Personal Banker Universal in Newport, RI

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most positive aspect to this role is helping customers - when Corporate allows. And, while I didn't appreciate it at the time, their intranet and resource database is good - not great, but good.

Cons

Management is disjointed, uninformed, unrealistic and unaware. This company is very much about the Stock Holders and NOT the customers - never mind the consideration or appreciation of its employees. Further, I have never seen so much nepotism outside of a family business! I find this especially alarming considering this is a BANK!

Advice to Management

The age old adage: put yourself in the other person's shoes.
    Another: Treat others as you would have them treat you.

"Misleading from the word "Go""

Former Employee - Relationship Banker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great hours
    -Solid benefits
    -Not hard work
    -Fantastic work/life balance
    -Pay is alright

Cons

-Management will lead you on with advancement
    -Anonymous HR tickets will not be investigated to the fullest extent
    -Blind leading the blind with management in some branches
    -Better pay in different banks
    -Better hours in different banks

Advice to Management

Invest more thoroughly in your people. You have a great workforce that can be built up, molded, and put to work in so many different roles. Stop stifling employees in positions that aren't right for them. I've seen too many colleagues miserable in their current role

Citizens Bank Response

May 31, 2017 – Senior Employer Brand Marketing Consultant

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share this feedback with us. I want to assure you that all concerns raised are investigated to the fullest extent possible. When complaints are... More

"They'll make you think it's the best job"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and pto, if only you didn't have to waste it every time you or your children get sick.

Cons

In store branch hours are long, they'll lie and tell you you won't have to work longer than 8 hours a day but you will. Anyone hired before you has seniority and you're basically just the underdog that's there to cover all their pto they'll take at the worst times but if you try to take yours when it's inconvenient, you won't get it. Some will treat you badly and management will just look the other way. They'll tell you they'll work with you to make sure you have a great work/life balance. Sure, as long as you always put work first. Also training needs a reboot big time. Some of the facilitators have no clue what they're even teaching and will teach you something different and wrong daily. And last but not least, the pay isn't very good compared to competition.

Advice to Management

Above management... Above regional? Reevaluate who you let become management. Some of them are so cruel and unprofessional.

"Senior Personal Bankers"

Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Fairhaven, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Fairhaven, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When fully staffed the hours can be very flexible. Open seven days a week at in store locations. Time and a half on Sundays. All major holidays are paid. Offer lots of PTO

Cons

Working at an in store location the hours can be long. It did not help that our location also became understaffed. The system that is used is very outdated and slow. Everything ins done electronics and on paper so it's always double the work. The company offers very slow growth

Advice to Management

Do a better job recruiting good talent. Not all locations should be understaffed.

"Turnover is a mess"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the people can be really nice that your work with, and there are a decent amount of locations to look into.

Cons

The turnover is insane. The branches are constantly under staffed, making it hard to actually work in the branch. Also, the pressure on employees is a mess, it matters more to make our sales numbers than keep our sanity. They don't consider location when they throw numbers out to the branches, and don't understand why things can't get done when everything and everyone is constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Please hire more people. And understand that yeah, we are people so please treat the employees as such.

"Entirely disconnected from the top down. A medicore company with good colleagues."

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Paid time off is very good (18 days your first year)
    -Health Insurance is through Cigna which is competitive
    -Pay is acceptable when hired (only when hired)
    -Fairly relaxed atmosphere day-to-day
    -Retirement plan matches 4%
    -Majority of the customers are wonderful

I'm extremely lucky to work with the people I do. I have a great branch manager, assistant manager, and i enjoy being around my fellow colleagues.

Cons

-Technology is almost non-existent
    -Computer systems are pathetic and beyond outdated (makes the job 10x harder)
    -No continuity, at any level. (Ask 1 question to 10 people and you'll get 10 answers)
    -Regional managers micromanage about something new every week.
    -The company has no concrete training program but they act like the training you receive is top notch. The training for new hires is disorganized and changes constantly so it creates confusion for all bank employees.
    -The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus.

There is very little opportunity to advance with this company despite what others have said. You have the ability to move to different departments or branches but that's not a promotion.

Advice to Management

If you're okay with being mediocre than keep doing what you're doing.

You need to focus on your branch managers and how they're being treated. The success of the company depends on them. If you have a satisfied and motivated BM then you'll have a satisfied and motivated branch.

Showing 335 of 1,463 reviews