Citizens Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 63 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is very employee centric -- great benefits, fair pay, and a very respectful work environment. Citizens has afforded me many different opportunities to grow my skills and hold various positions. It's a friendly and oftentimes fun environment where coworkers are always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

Pay is not top of market, but it is fair.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees as you have been doing!

2. "Best place for work - 100% verified"

Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Citizens banks is best place for work.

- balanced life and work life.
    - great team and work culture.
    - perfect on boarding team to get you in.

Cons

I don't have any complaint or any concern about this company and work culture. They best in employee care and more.

3. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Associate Licensed Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Associate Licensed Relationship Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, potential career, organized bank, good salary, great incentive plan.

Cons

Not the best job to work for if you do not want to work, needs to expand nationally.

Advice to Management

Come prepared for dialing sessions and conference calls. Must be okay with corp. politics

4. "Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love that citizens is a company that wants to see their employees succeed. The confidence my upper management and trainers have shown me, enables me to show that confidence to my customers. Being an Universal Banker allows me so many different opportunities in the future within the company. I admire how Citizens works hard at showing value to their customers to build that personal trusting relationship for their financial needs.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons to working for citizens.

Advice to Management

I truly believe that my Branch Manager, Regional Manager, and Operations Manager are the best. My only advice is to keep encouraging your Bankers the way do, because it truly helps esp. when your new.

5. "Terrific Company to Work For."

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cares about their employees and customers.
    Creates a fun and supportive work environment.
    Good benefits.
    Room for growth.

Cons

The salary could be more competitive with other banks.
    More over time opportunity.

6. "A Truly Amazing Place!"

Current Employee - Director, Vice President in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Director, Vice President in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Citizens in Feb 2017. It has been a wonderful experience and one of the best career transitions.

From the getgo my interactions with the recruiting team were very positive. My interviewers, and I had many, were very forthcoming in sharing information about what to expect, the challenges I would face, and the opportunities I would have. After I joined, I found all of what had been shared a very true representation.

What I also found encouraging was that the leadership at the Bank truly cares about the colleagues. I work within HR and I could see the various initiatives focussed around personal and professional development. Another thing that really came through for me, was the culture and the quality of people around me. The culture is set by leaders, and I noticed how positive and approachable the leadership is. And the people around me - all passionate about their job, very knowledgeable and looking to make a difference for our customers.

I am really glad to be a Citizen!

Cons

None for me really - the company is very employee friendly and customer focused. Sure, there are challenges that we must work through, but that's nothing unique to Citizens, and makes the job interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

7. "Great Career with Opportunity"

Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Pittsford, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Pittsford, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are encouraged to grow their careers with Citizens. Benefits are great even for part timers. Excellent work/life balance because the hours are so reasonable. Paid holidays, paid PTO.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of is that if you aren't used to an environment that revolves around generating revenue and making "sales" for the company it can be difficult to adjust. At the end of the day, Citizens cares about the customer and their main goal is helping people manage their money.

8. "Solution/Principal Architect job role"

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As architect you'll work with both Business groups and technology groups. Provides a good opportunity to learn about banking products and many technologies.

There's really no company wide standard definition of this role. Your role will be partly determined by your manager's perspective as well as your own skills and goals. Some architects focus on the details of technology (data mapping, configuration details of servers) and others work at a very high level (logical view of architecture).

You'll work on technologies that range from mainframe and legacy applications, to vendor hosted and some cloud architectures. Most projects are run in a waterfall process, but the company is piloting some agile projects.

Some projects will be feature upgrades to existing systems, perhaps to support new product offerings. Others will be system upgrades (vendor applications/hardware old and out of support and need to be replaced, such as moving to current operating systems or database version), and least often is greenfield development on new capabilities and infrastructure. Also some regulatory/compliance projects, which are necessary but not fun. Nothing unique here, and fairly typical of any very large company.

Good work/life balance. It's not often I've had to work past 6p or on weekends. The exceptions are critical deadlines and disaster recovery tests which must be performed on weekends. It's not likely you'd have systems to DR test more than once or twice per year. That said, I encounter plenty of people who are workaholics and drag others into their patters.

Depending on your manager, you may have generous work from home options. Some people are in the office every day, and others hardly ever come in. Work from home is viable since we're located in multiple buildings in RI and MA, but also use off shore teams. If no one you're working with is onsite and meetings are by phone, then no reason to be in the office. However, I find that a lot ad-hoc conversations happen by running into people in the halls and cafeteria so being in the office is useful.

Cons

There's no formal training for architects. You're expected to figure to how to informally pick up product/company/process knowledge, as well as architectural conventions (documents styles, uml diagramming styles), etc. To do well here you need to be someone who is a self starter, have attention to detail, and well organized.

Salary is ok, but doesn't increase quickly. You won't get rich here.

Processes are slow and complex. If you're expecting to complete projects and systems quickly and without overhead, this isn't the place for you.

There's a lot of outsourcing/offshoring with the complexities that can accompany it. There are frequent reorgs. This contributes to my comment about about process.

9. "Very happy to work here"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, rates, people. Got loans closed on time every time.

Cons

Have heard others have not had same experience.

10. "Licensed Banker"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

Great Hours, good training program, room for growth and development if that is something you're looking for.

Cons

Phone calls to clients through portal- sometimes it just doesn't work out well.

Advice to Management

None at the moment- great company so far!

Showing 149 of 1,490 reviews