Citizens Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Bruce Van Saun

1,430 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 63 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Really Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is very employee centric -- great benefits, fair pay, and a very respectful work environment. Citizens has afforded me many different opportunities to grow my skills and hold various positions. It's a friendly and oftentimes fun environment where coworkers are always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

Pay is not top of market, but it is fair.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees as you have been doing!

"I would not recommend to my friends."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

Pros

The co-workers are great people; it's Management I really question.

Cons

Too much work on everyone's plate, which prohibits colleagues from becoming experts in their areas and advancing in professional growth. Couple this with departmental reorgs every six months is a detriment to all. Employees appear frustrated after a couple of years. The unofficial mantra is the only constant at Citizens is change. And, be careful if you get placed on "special projects"...your number is up.

Advice to Management

No comment.

"Micro Management"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Not your typical benefits. There is a pension and the benefits are decent. Good environment for a cut throat salesman. Decent pay to start.

Cons

Micro management is out of control. Daily phone calls that accomplish nothing. E-mail sent out every time an account is sold is a waste of time. Morale is low mostly due to a bank wide feeling of paranoia about getting fired. Long time veterans have been axed because of teller accuracy. Anyone paying attention knows it's because of low sales. Fees to customers feel like a kick them while they are down situation. Used to be a sales focus maybe once a month. Now there are two sales focuses in one week.

Advice to Management

A bank should really be about customer service, but this bank could care less about it's communities, colleagues and customers. Far too much negativity bringing everyone down to make this a productive sales environment. My suggestion to anyone looking to work here is take it for the resume boost, but keep looking elsewhere.

"What a Joke!"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Deer Park, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Deer Park, NY

Pros

Very little supervision, I can actually say I spent a good 1/4 of my work day either in the bathroom or walking around planning what groceries I was going to buy later in that day.

Cons

Well, after being laid off for a couple of months I stumbled upon this job, which sounded promising over the phone. When I actually started the job, I never felt so degraded. Now I am a college grad, with some good experience behind me, but this job made me feel like a 15 year old high school drop out. They asked me to help customers bag their groceries, walk them outside with an umbrella in the rain, and other acenine "sales tactics." The management is worthless, extremely unprofessional, no education, not really sure where they get these people from quite honestly. Multiple conference calls each day, which are pointless since the manager has you doing random tasks while the calls are taking place. Pay is horrible, they promise the world to you in "incentives" and each quarter they raise your sales goals so you can no longer reach your incentive payout! Don't even think about having a social or family life, they will tell you that you will be off 1 weekend day each week, then last minute tell you that you must work both days. You will not know your weekly schedule until the day before the week starts, and do not even think about using one of your "sick days" you will hear complaints for weeks about how you really inconvenienced the branch. . . ITS A SICK DAY! Would you rather have a banker coughing and blowing his nose in front of the customer? This company is a joke and I am so glad that I left, just weeks later I got a job paying nearly triple the pay! Do not take this job unless you have absolutely 0 qualifications, in which case you will fit right in!

Advice to Management

Accept some more UK bailout money, the way things run in this company, you're without question going to need it!

"HOW ONE BANK FELL SO FAR SO FAST"

Current Employee - Teller Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Teller Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Great colleagues, wonderful customers, competitive benefits package.

Cons

Micromanaging out of control, unrealistic/unattainable sales goals, operationally inept and inefficient,
    sytems need to be upgraded, low morale throughout entire organization, overdraft fees among the highest in the industry, out of touch senior management.

Advice to Management

Return to your roots (Not Your Typical Bank), stop emulating Bank of America-differentiate more both in terms of products and service. Combine supermarket and traditional branches. Stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on marketing and merchandising that the branches really don't need. Colleagues at Citizens Bank are demoralized and disgusted. Turnover is bad and getting worse.

"Was great when I started, but that quickly changed."

Former Employee - ABM in Hampton, NH
    Former Employee - ABM in Hampton, NH

Pros

Flexible work week. (if you enjoy working weekends)

Cons

Unrealistic goals, lack of recognition for accomplishments, constant changes to middle management, constant change.

Advice to Management

Take the time to perform the job of a Banker or ABM, you would be surprised what you don't know.

"How do you like feeling like a used car salesman?"

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager - Instore in Jamison, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager - Instore in Jamison, PA

Pros

Benefit package was very good. There are many nice perks for current employees including vredit towards new home purchases, day-care credit, and education credit.

Cons

Other than a few people I worked at in the branch level, there is a very cut throat attitude. I was a top performing manager and was basically forced out of my job because the manager and I did not agree on how sales should be made. She felt that every customer should leave the branch with some sort of new product, regardless if they needed it or not. This was a philosophy shared by upper management as well. There were 2 daily conference calls with the region (14 branches). The morning one was to game plan how you were not only going to "sell" 3-4 checking accounts a day, but also set 10 new appointments for new products. The evening one was to either explain how you met those goals, or try and explain how you didn't and what you would do the next day to not only rebound from that's day's failure, but to make the next day a success.
    I would not recommend this company to even my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

It's about the customer needs, not making some arbitrary number,

"If you're dumb but you can nag and annoy, you're upper management material"

Current Employee - Teller in Upper Darby, PA
    Current Employee - Teller in Upper Darby, PA

Pros

You want easy hours and little work (unless you are a branch assistant manager).
    Benefits are all good.

Cons

The ONLY way you move up in this organization is by kissing the ass of your superior, and by this I mean something specific: Your superior is getting his ass spanked by his superior, who insists in a barrage of daily emails that he generate more "sales". To whatever extent you can sympathize and pretend to somehow magically generate more sales (that nobody in the organisation has any actual sales insight notwithstanding), you'll get promoted.

Overall, the organization feels like a zombie.

Advice to Management

Give us a real vision that we can communicate to customers. And emphasize LEADERSHIP, not sales. The sales will follow.

"Bad Pay, Bad Hours, Hate It"

Current Employee - Banker I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Banker I in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Being in an in store Giant Eagle branch offers many opportunities to find leads. Many walk ups daily to open new accounts, inquire on mortgages, loans, etc. Great opportunities for sales.

Cons

Poor compesation for sales. Constant push and pressure from management to find sales. Feeding frenzy when walk up sales occur. Very unprofessional setting. This may be because my branch manager is retiring very soon and has just checked out.. I dont care I am not waiting around to find out. 5 months was enough... trust me. This job is humiliating and boring. Split time between teller and banker.

Advice to Management

Give more freedom to bankers. I come from a much more independent field where I was commission only, so I do not need someone on my butt every five minutes to go out in isles and then be told not to come back without a new account.

"bad place to work"

Current Employee - Heloc Processor in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Heloc Processor in Warwick, RI

Pros

overtime every week that you work

Cons

treated like a child in the 4th grade

Advice to Management

Hire 1 man for managment

Showing 1,430 of 1,467 reviews