Citizens Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,451 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 63 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

"My honest take"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Holidays off, plenty of potential for advancement, customer and business relationships. Customer driven Bank, not too sales pushy.

Cons

Long Hours if your In Store. Terrible when it comes to employee coverage. For Universal Bankers pay should be a lot more because of the responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Be wise about the people you hire. Focus on your bankers weaknesses. Send them to their required training's. Cant just throw people in the fire without them developing a foundation.

2. "Director of Commercial Marketing and Communications"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Goal-oriented entrepreneurial organization with highly experienced leadership team

Cons

Improvements to onboarding experience could set colleagues off on a strong start with enthusiasm

3. "A Truly Amazing Place!"

Current Employee - Director, Vice President in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Director, Vice President in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Citizens in Feb 2017. It has been a wonderful experience and one of the best career transitions.

From the getgo my interactions with the recruiting team were very positive. My interviewers, and I had many, were very forthcoming in sharing information about what to expect, the challenges I would face, and the opportunities I would have. After I joined, I found all of what had been shared a very true representation.

What I also found encouraging was that the leadership at the Bank truly cares about the colleagues. I work within HR and I could see the various initiatives focussed around personal and professional development. Another thing that really came through for me, was the culture and the quality of people around me. The culture is set by leaders, and I noticed how positive and approachable the leadership is. And the people around me - all passionate about their job, very knowledgeable and looking to make a difference for our customers.

I am really glad to be a Citizen!

Cons

None for me really - the company is very employee friendly and customer focused. Sure, there are challenges that we must work through, but that's nothing unique to Citizens, and makes the job interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

4. "Solution/Principal Architect job role"

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As architect you'll work with both Business groups and technology groups. Provides a good opportunity to learn about banking products and many technologies.

There's really no company wide standard definition of this role. Your role will be partly determined by your manager's perspective as well as your own skills and goals. Some architects focus on the details of technology (data mapping, configuration details of servers) and others work at a very high level (logical view of architecture).

You'll work on technologies that range from mainframe and legacy applications, to vendor hosted and some cloud architectures. Most projects are run in a waterfall process, but the company is piloting some agile projects.

Some projects will be feature upgrades to existing systems, perhaps to support new product offerings. Others will be system upgrades (vendor applications/hardware old and out of support and need to be replaced, such as moving to current operating systems or database version), and least often is greenfield development on new capabilities and infrastructure. Also some regulatory/compliance projects, which are necessary but not fun. Nothing unique here, and fairly typical of any very large company.

Good work/life balance. It's not often I've had to work past 6p or on weekends. The exceptions are critical deadlines and disaster recovery tests which must be performed on weekends. It's not likely you'd have systems to DR test more than once or twice per year. That said, I encounter plenty of people who are workaholics and drag others into their patters.

Depending on your manager, you may have generous work from home options. Some people are in the office every day, and others hardly ever come in. Work from home is viable since we're located in multiple buildings in RI and MA, but also use off shore teams. If no one you're working with is onsite and meetings are by phone, then no reason to be in the office. However, I find that a lot ad-hoc conversations happen by running into people in the halls and cafeteria so being in the office is useful.

Cons

There's no formal training for architects. You're expected to figure to how to informally pick up product/company/process knowledge, as well as architectural conventions (documents styles, uml diagramming styles), etc. To do well here you need to be someone who is a self starter, have attention to detail, and well organized.

Salary is ok, but doesn't increase quickly. You won't get rich here.

Processes are slow and complex. If you're expecting to complete projects and systems quickly and without overhead, this isn't the place for you.

There's a lot of outsourcing/offshoring with the complexities that can accompany it. There are frequent reorgs. This contributes to my comment about about process.

5. "Great Career with Opportunity"

Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Pittsford, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Pittsford, NY

I have been working at Citizens Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are encouraged to grow their careers with Citizens. Benefits are great even for part timers. Excellent work/life balance because the hours are so reasonable. Paid holidays, paid PTO.

Cons

The only "con" I can think of is that if you aren't used to an environment that revolves around generating revenue and making "sales" for the company it can be difficult to adjust. At the end of the day, Citizens cares about the customer and their main goal is helping people manage their money.

6. "Very happy to work here"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, rates, people. Got loans closed on time every time.

Cons

Have heard others have not had same experience.

"no direction"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

flexibility to maintain your own schedule

Cons

no structure, most of the managers are all talk as far as income

8. "Personal banker"

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good incentive plan that is attainable

Cons

Lacks leadership at the branch level

9. "Universal Banker"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Boston, MA

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company culture and financial products.

Cons

Lending is too conservative and the Universal Banker job is a know everything do everything position, very difficult to manage. Growth was limited for me thus I quit.

Advice to Management

Pay accordingly base on responsibility and work load. Universal Banker has lots to learn but very little room for growth. Pay does not reflect work responsibility.

10. "Branch Manager"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

a growing bank with a good amount of branchs

Cons

upper management puts to much pressure on the unit less about the customers

Showing 1,451 of 1,488 reviews