Citizens Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,524 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working at an instore location makes for a challenging work life balance (in 63 reviews)

• The sales goals continue to go up every quarter making it harder to bonus (in 91 reviews)

1. "it was okay"

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

just making friends, but thats all

Cons

pay, benefits, people, the company in general sucks.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in North Kingstown, RI
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in North Kingstown, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

18 days pto
    All Federal holidays off
    Good health care
    Time and a half on Sunday's

Cons

Short staffed with long hiring process
    Sales incentive could be better

3. "Good Employer"

Current Employee - Anti Money Laundering Analyst II in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anti Money Laundering Analyst II in Providence, RI

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, company welcomes feedback.

Cons

Quality of Managers not consistent from dept to dept. Pay is on the lower side.

Advice to Management

Managers should be better trained.

"Make it or Break it"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Citizens Bank is overall an excellent company to work for. Even just starting at an entry level position, the compensation is excellent and includes paid training (mileage and travel time.) There are many avenues to advance through the company and if you succeed and do well (very well), your hard work and success do not go unnoticed. You are given great teams and partners to work with and learn from. If you work as hard as I do, management has your back and always will. The company promotes from within often, as it is most beneficial for all to have management and licensed banking employees that are familiar with the company and banking in general. Again, overall, it is an excellent place to work and if you're the right fit you can achieve great things at Citizens Bank.

Cons

The primary downside to working at Citizens Bank involves their sales based culture. It's hard for an industry like a bank to preach sales to their employees as primary focus, but preach exceptional customer service to clients. They implement sales practices that directly contradict "doing what's right for the customer."
    For example, their incentive program for managers and bankers alike. We are to push checking accounts on anyone and everyone - with I kid you not - ever increasing yet already astronomical goals. I'm talking 21 new customer checking accounts per banker in my branch specifically - and an overall checking account goal of roughly 150 total with new and existing. It is not just a daunting task, but counterproductive to one of our other incentive modifiers, customer satisfaction. Customers who do sign up for these extra checking accounts are often hit with fees and unhappy within weeks of opening. It's a win-lose situation.

Advice to Management

I understand the value of growing households, but there is no value in unnecessary checking accounts that don't season and are closed prematurely. They impact the P&L negatively and I would like to see them removed from incentive goals altogether.

5. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Mount Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Mount Lebanon, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits for child centers was nice

Cons

Very hostile work environment from mnger

Advice to Management

Treat someone with respect please

"Universal Banker"

Former Employee - Universal Banker
    Former Employee - Universal Banker

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promote within, benefits, good bonus if you meet goals

Cons

Goals are sometimes hard to meet, they expect too much calling, a lot of conference calls, bankers spend more time running teller than anything else, will terminate you for any small thing

Advice to Management

Appreciate the good workers you have and do research before ending their employment

Citizens Bank Response

Oct 6, 2017 – Sr Project Analyst

Thank you for sharing this information. Here at Citizens we take great care in developing our colleagues to prepare them for long-term success within our organization. We want to see our colleagues... More

7. "Citizens Bank Maple Glen"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Maple Glen, PA
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Maple Glen, PA

I worked at Citizens Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, managers work well with scheduling time off and understanding we are humans and things come up.

Cons

Required to sell products as a teller which could get you reprimanded or fired even though most customers DO NOT want to be referred.

Advice to Management

Treat customers like people and understand that not everyone wants a product offered to them every time they visit, ESPECIALLY regulars.

8. "Senior Bisiness Systems Analyst"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

The co-workers are great and easy to work with.

Cons

The commute is longer than I would like

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

9. "Beware"

Current Employee - Employee in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Meeting minimum word count.

Cons

Low pay, unobtainable goals, empty promises, inconsistent messages

Advice to Management

Work/Life Balance is inconsistent at-best. Mostly two completely different cultures between the in-store and traditional branches. Almost all of the upper management see the weekends as great opportunities for sales and customer service but only work 40 hours Monday thru Friday while line level employees are run into the ground working five (sometimes six days a week, but overtime is the devil and is mostly a no-no) days a week with some ungodly shifts 9-715 during the week. While the bank is open 7 days a week there may be times you're scheduled 9-10-11 days in a row because of the smaller staff inside each location, shifts will be obviously shorter during these streaks however, that will start to put a toll a person especially in an environment that is cut-throat for production and sales on an everyday basis. Scheduling is different per branch, but meetings, call nights, and conference calls will force employees to drop everything they're doing inside or outside of work to accommodate these last minute changes (If changes cannot be made to accommodate the bank of what is asked of the employee, then a negative vibe is sent out as the employee is seen as insubordinate or not understanding of the business). Incentive plans change so often that goals are mostly not achievable and if not ALL the goals are met then the bonus is cut. The little incentive that MAY be paid out is extremely dissatisfying and demotivating for the amount of work that it takes for a quarterly bonus to be issued. No job is perfect and while I completely understand that, no one deserves to be treated like a number instead of a person. The amount of empty promises that are handed out just like promotional flyers are not only irrational but demotivating for anyone that wants to succeed in this company.

10. "Banker"

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time

Pros

My Co-Workers are amazing and that's the only reason I like going to work

Cons

Management is not supportive, systems are difficult to use and effect job performance

Advice to Management

Chaos makes employees unproductive, need better policies

Showing 1,524 of 1,563 reviews