KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Citizens Property Insurance Reviews

Updated Sep 8, 2021

Found 146 of over 152 reviews

3.3
Citizens Property Insurance President, CEO and Executive Director Barry Gilway (no image)
Barry Gilway
Pros
  • "Great benefits - 8% Retirement match that vests in 3 years(in 23 reviews)

• "Strong government job good benefits 8% 401k match(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There are very limited opportunities for advancement once you reach a senior position(in 6 reviews)

• "If you don't have an "in" with someone in upper management, don't expect to go anywhere in the company(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Great Culture!

Apr 11, 2021 - Legal Services
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ethical decision-making. Culture of caring about employees. Opportunities for professional development. Women in management.

Cons

I haven't seen any to date.

Continue reading

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

Thanks. We think so too! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and provide feedback about working at Citizens.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

One of Florida's best places to work.

Sep 8, 2021 - IT Senior Manager in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People, Terrific CEO and Senior/Executive Leadership, Challenging work

Cons

It's a quasi-government organization - Process of buying and implement tools is tough - follows strong processes - needed, but challenging at times.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

An effective leader, accomplishing strategic goals, aligned to KPI's and OKR's.

Aug 23, 2021 - Manager, Quality Improvement in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great organization to work for. Respect for Work/Life balance with leadership that is down to earth.

Cons

There are not any negatives to working for this organization.

4. 1.0

Citizens is under staffed

Jun 24, 2021 - PIp Adjuster in Flint, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can’t find any pros.

Cons

Too many claims High turnover Lack of training

5. 5.0

Great people, great company

Mar 10, 2021 - Claims Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, great pro development opportunity

Cons

Quasi government; fixed pay, no bonuses

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

Thanks for sharing your positive review. Citizens’ compensation program strives to reward high-performing employees while maintaining internal equity and sustaining external competitiveness within our role as a non-profit, government created entity. Continuous evaluation of current programs and enhancements are made to enrich our corporate culture by providing meaningful rewards offerings that distinguish us among other employers. Based largely on employee feedback, Citizens was included among the 2020 Best Companies to Work for in Florida by Florida Trend magazine.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Great work-life balance and benefits. Poor compensation. Little room for advancement.

Mar 22, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and benefits.

Cons

Poor compensation. Little room for advancement.

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

Thank you for providing a review of Citizens and sharing feedback about working here. One of our primary goals is to provide a culture that values employees as individuals and promotes development and growth through tuition reimbursement, professional certification support, mentoring and other avenues. Citizens is also committed to providing a fair, market-driven salary and total rewards program. We generally use the median industry salary level as an initial target as we balance the needs for competitive pay and our responsibility as a non-profit, publicly created entity.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company Overall - Happy to be here

Aug 13, 2019 - Manager (Department Not Disclosed) in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits - 8% Retirement match that vests in 3 years! Above average amount of PTO, Sick time make up for no bonus structure. Benefits are one of the best things about Citizens and certainly attractive to an external hire. Management is flexible as long as you meet deadlines. Good work/life balance. I think this depends what department you work in, but it is strong from my perspective. Barry is a great CEO and I think he has put together a strong, forward-looking leadership team. There are many smart and talented people that work at Citizens. It operates much more like an pure insurance company v. non-profit started by gov state statute - which should be attractive to outside hires considering Citizens as you will continue to grow and learn in your career v. being a government drone.

Cons

Career advancement can be limited in smaller departments, but that is not necessarily unique to Citizens. I believe we are heading towards a focus on "expense management" in the near future with our policy count low (but stable), so I anticipate that may impact career opportunities. That being said, you do see merit-based promotions from within. Seems like there are too many meetings at times. Some leaders / managers spend their entire days in meetings without much work getting done. No bonus structure, which is the only reason I put 4 stars for Comp & Benefits instead of 5. Salary appears pretty competitive with other insurance companies.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and providing feedback. At Citizens, we strive to enhance our culture through development opportunities and meaningful total rewards offerings. Citizens provides an energetic working environment with an eye toward constant improvement across the organization. Feedback from present and former employees helps us achieve this. Thank you for being part of our team!

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Work Culture

Mar 16, 2021 - Senior Developer in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

very good work culture and lot of room for learning.

Cons

Some people play Team politics

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Citizens’ leadership tries to provide all employees with a culture that values them as individuals while fostering an atmosphere that inspires teamwork, personal development and growth. That’s one reason why Citizens was named among the 2020 Best Companies to Work for in Florida by Florida Trend magazine. Reviews and comments on platforms like this help us focus and grow to meet the current and future needs of our organization.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worst company to work

Apr 10, 2021 - Scrum Master/Agile Coach in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Avoid this company at any cost

Cons

No room for career advancements Salary not paid per market

3 people found this review helpful

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

We appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback on your experience here at Citizens. One of Citizens’ core tenets is promoting a positive environment for employees. This does not appear to be your experience thus far. Citizens has a number of personal development programs including tuition reimbursement, professional certification support, mentorships and other tools to help you get to the next level. That’s one reason why Citizens was named among the 2020 Best Companies to Work For in Florida by Florida Trend magazine. If you’d like to get more information about the variety of development programs available email askHR@citizensfla.com.

10. 5.0

An excellent company

Oct 21, 2020 - Software Asset Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture and work environment

Cons

Currently no cons to share

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation

Thank you for being part of our team! Our culture is great because of our dedicated employees. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and leave a review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 146 Reviews