Cover image for Citizens

3.7
Citizens CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun
1,393 Ratings

What people are saying about Citizens

Join the conversation on

Finance

110K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Citizens~13640
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are good but have been cut since RBS' desire to spin off the bank(in 341 reviews)
  • "Citizens has a lot of really great people who are dedicated to what they do on a daily basis.(in 211 reviews)
  • "good pay depending on who hires you and what region you work in(in 161 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is good(in 124 reviews)
  • "It also feels great to help my colleagues and team when we have a real challenge to overcome.(in 99 reviews)
Cons
  • "Management is hired in without ANY banking experience resulting in poor management.(in 147 reviews)
  • "Poor upper management and disorganized retail structure.(in 105 reviews)
  • "Reduction of employees and making managers do more work with less employees.(in 93 reviews)
  • "No bonus below Vice President(in 43 reviews)
  • "Long Hours (In Store Branch)(in 41 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Citizens and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Find your home at Citizens

Oct 18, 2022 - Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Here are my top 5 reasons for working at Citizens: 1) Effective and functional leadership and teams: Work is prioritized and optimized to ensure we have the resources to complete the work. Clear and effective lines of escalation help us resolve blockers quickly to keep work on track or reset expectations. 2) Our Credo - Customers, Colleagues, Community & Shareholders: We do our best for our customers, communities and each other. It's not just lip service. Citizens regularly recognizes colleagues who go above and beyond in each of these areas. 3) Career Paths and Growth Opportunities: We are growing and getting better all the time. I've been here since 2005 and we have continually improved our products, processes and management culture. I've had numerous opportunities to work on different initiatives that has broadened my experience. 4) Work Life Balance: Many of us go above and beyond when needed to get things done and conversely Citizens provides a lot of flexibility so I can take care of the priorities in my personal life. 5) Feel Supported: The work is hard sometimes but I feel supported by my team, partners and leadership when I really need it. It also feels great to help my colleagues and team when we have a real challenge to overcome.

Cons

Growing and getting better is messy. There are periods of time where there is too much to do and not enough time or conflicting priorities. That's going to happen its hard to avoid when you are growing and improving. What is great about Citizens is that we address these challenges head on and work together to figure out a path forward.

3 people found this review helpful

Citizens Response

Thank you for leaving a review and for over 20 years at Citizens, wow! It's incredible to hear that you feel at home and appreciate the culture, growth opportunities, work life balance and more. It's our amazing colleagues like yourself who go above and beyond everyday that really make the difference here. Thanks for all you do!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

Dec 4, 2022 - Bank Teller in Waterbury, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great job nice people here

Cons

The hiring process took awhile

Continue reading
    Current Employee

Great Employer

Dec 3, 2022 - Personal Banker
    Business Outlook

Pros

As long as you take control of your career. You can prosper.

Cons

In some instances managers weren’t being held accountable.

Be the first to find this review helpful