City Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
City Furniture President and CEO Keith Koenig
Keith Koenig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The he company is family oriented, and managment is always trying to get you more involved in how things work and incentive suggestions (in 12 reviews)

• The company has a pretty good benefits package (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Must meet sales goals or will be fired (in 9 reviews)

• It's extremely hard to have a work life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Room to grow and more to come"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Wellington, FL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Wellington, FL

I have been working at City Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing and keep getting better. In the new year they added paid holidays and scheduling improvements. The company constantly asks you what they can be doing better and they listen! We will soon have tablets to use instead of desktops and my current showroom is being renovated/updated. The company also offers; $1000 in health insurance discounts when you get your preventative screening done, paid vacation, referal bonuses, tons of sales bonuses, and some very USEFUL training. They only promote from within. I am I very satisfied customer and worker.

Cons

Working nights and weekends can be difficult. That's when everyone is shopping so that's when we want to work most. With the new scheduling improvements we can now take an entire weekend off every few months.

Advice to Management

Even as a first tier manager I have direct access to my General Manager, Regional Manager, Director of Opporations, and company President. My voice is heard.

Jan 10, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're thrilled to hear that you like our improvements to Holiday Pay and especially our schedule improvements. We want to allow our Associates to earn... More

2. "Ashley furniture wellington"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at City Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment;
    future focused company

Cons

slow to make changes; promises are slow to be fulfilled

3. "Not what they say it is!"

I worked at City Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room to advance. Great Benefits. Great Cafe. Young environment.

Cons

Salary is not competitive. The training provides a lot of unnecessary info (nice to know at some point but just adds to the overload of what you need). Not a good place for anyone with a disability.

Advice to Management

Processes and procedures that are taught in training are not up to date. When actually on the phones supervisors tell you to do it their way instead. Be more specific in what you present as a job description.

Nov 3, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry you did not have a positive experience. We appreciate your feedback and it has been forwarded to the HR and Customer Care teams.

4. "Great growing company"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at City Furniture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful family oriented company with lots of opportunities, benefits and bonuses.

Cons

Growing company that needs more organization and better division of tasks. Company also needs to focus on perfecting areas before innovating new ones. Communication is a little slim in some areas. Implemented ideas are sometimes not thoroughly thought through with regards to impact on other areas of company.

Advice to Management

Add part time and intern employees to do smaller jobs to free up time of full time employees for more important tasks. Utilize full time employees for more important jobs. Pay in some departments could use a bump up to retain employees. Employees often do a lot of jobs and don’t get the hourly compensation reflective of work contributed. Overall a wonderful company, but sometimes the cart is out before the carriage when ideas are excecuted because of lack of resources and time.

Nov 3, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve our processes and Associates' satisfaction.

Your feedback has been... More

"Senior Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Tamarac, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Tamarac, FL

I worked at City Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ownership is forward-thinking and innovative; they really do care about the employees. The culture, values, etc. are excellent; however, during my tenure, the 'People First' philosophy was not being implemented by some of senior management.

Cons

The owners of the company are trying to institute a service-oriented, customer-centric culture - removing the bureaucratic approach to management and adopting many new policies and procedures that are really quite positive. During this transformation, they completely restructured the team...

Here's the catch - the dramatic environmental shifts resulted in some of the senior management team / senior top executives to become cynical and competitive, using nepotism and bullying to compete for power. In like manner, their teams adopted a Darwinian approach that was nothing short of cutthroat.

The culture that leadership desires – those positive values -were not prevailing during my tenure. That said, I believe the key proponents of this toxic culture have left, so things should rapidly improve.

6. "not too happy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tamarac, FL

I worked at City Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cafe, onsite health care center

Cons

There seems to be a lot of favoritism, they don't really allow for you to get up in customer care and ask for help, and I understand the whole purpose of not wanting to disrupt someone else while on the phone, but if i really need help in the moment and don't want to necessarily wait 10-15mins for support, it's hard in that sense, when I started I would get bad looks from some of the older employees and it was a bit intimidating because it's like what have I ever done to them? some upper management act really nice while in front of a large group, but if you want to say hi to them in the hallway they act like you're some stranger in the street, it's very uncomfortable. I noticed the amount of people they were still trying to hire for customer care and it just made me wonder why people are leaving or getting fired, it's a bit scary because there seems like theres no job stability.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at City Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Cookies and 30% furniture discount

Cons

Impossible sales goals, must work overtime until you reach you goal or you risk getting fired. That included coming in on your day off or working "life" which translates to 9am-9pm. The only people who make a lot of money are the people who have no life other than working at City Furniture. You can definitely make decent money, but you will have to practically live there.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic monthly sales goals

"HR Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Just want to take a moment and acknowledge an employee at their HR department by the name of Nickey Ellis,
    I come from a corporate world and I have met a few people like Nickey in my career she was kind she was patient she was extremely professional and very understanding I want to see furniture to know that you have a hardworking person on your team .
    Congratulations

Cons

Nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

Very well trained employees

Sep 12, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and recognize one of our talented Recruiters. We are very proud of Nickey and have passed on your praises to her.

We are happy to have her... More

"CUSTOMER CARE ASSOCIATE"

I have been working at City Furniture full-time

Pros

this job pays once a week.

Cons

The downside of working at City Furniture is the way the schedule is handled along with attendance policy that is currently in place. You are only allowed a grace period of 1 minute. So after 2 minutes you will be considered late.
    I have seen some many co workers run up 3/4 flights of stairs and a few hurt themselves trying to be on time.

Shortly after the probation period was over I had a family member die. One of my closest cousins that I grew up with had died at 25 years old. I was told by management I could not have the day off (with out pay) I would need to switch my days with someone else. Which was impossible. So I missed the funeral services.
    When I first began at City Furniture I was told in order for my absence to be excused a doctor's note would need to be brought in. After suffering an ectopic pregnancy and discovering an illness I was told by management I could no longer miss any days of work===as my absence has been obsessive over the past 3 month (fighting cancer)

Advice to Management

The reason why the turn over is high within Customer Care is because management is lacking compassion I have worked along side some awesome individuals who were either let go or simply walked away from City Furniture. A lot of the policies in place are inhumane so no one wants to show up or put up with the foolishness.

10. "Nothing short of amazing"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at City Furniture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

City is a great company, they truly put their associates first through events, bonuses, and coaching. They make it easy to come to work everyday. The pay is great for what you are expected to do.

Cons

Customer service department is lacking, hours are rough on someone with a family. Talent is not developed and utilized properly.

Advice to Management

Recognize those with amazing potential in all areas. Don't just expect your managers to sell - you've lost too many tremendous assets

Sep 14, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback and we are always looking for ways to improve our Associates' satisfaction.

Hopefully the recent schedule changes... More