City National Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

City National Bank Reviews

Updated August 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.1
City National Bank President and CEO; Chairman and CEO, City National Bank Russell D. Goldsmith
Russell D. Goldsmith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Management supports th work / life balance that is required in today's world" (in 24 reviews)

• "Great benefits and great culture" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is a lot of work to do so be ready for a challenge" (in 3 reviews)

• "There is no room for advancement" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Culture/Growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and grow! Everyone I have encountered has been here ATLEAST 3-25 years. They also continue to stay!!!!! Wonderful, Wonderful environment. Everyone is so kind and welcoming. I have been here for about four months and have been loving the learning experience. This is one of the best bank's to work for in DTLA! Everything is very efficient and modern. They have great perks, and lunch+learns, HR, and assistance if you ever need anything. I recommended it to all my colleagues.

Pay is also very competitive, more so than other banks!!!!!

Cons

Have to pay for parking
    Parking lot is about 1 block away from building (5-8 minute walk)

Advice to Management

Great place!!! Keep up the good culture, and attitude. Everyone is really happy here.

Jun 18, 2018 – City National Bank

We’re so happy that you’re here. City National IS a great place to work. The people and values are at the heart of our exceptional culture.

We agree--the 400 S Flower lot is very convenient for... More

2. "Information Security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities. Good pay. Professional colleagues.

Cons

They are very suggestive of salaried people putting in extra hours.

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job.

3. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On-site cafeteria area in the building.

Cons

New management in Residential Lending department is HORRIBLE. (Old management was horrible as well and a lot of them were fired when new management came in). They don't care about the well-being of people, and are instead focused on numbers and quotas. Very cliquish- management and employees within the department included. Under-qualified people in almost every position. Getting cozy with management gets promotions (that existed prior to new management and has continued). The pay is less than average in the industry when you consider that there was no incentive rewards for high production and hard work.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people, not just processes.

4. "Consumer Loan Underwriter"

I worked at City National Bank full-time

Pros

Decent work/life balance
    Paid for parking in DTLA

Cons

Company was recently acquired by RBC so there are lots of organizational changes
    Poor management skills by some
    Small raises

Advice to Management

less micromanaging and worrying about petty things, more focus on bigger picture

Jul 18, 2018 – City National Bank

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We agree that a focus on the big picture is important, especially as City National makes changes to expand our offerings and to grow into new... More

5. "High level branch banking"

I have been working at City National Bank full-time

Pros

Management is truly focused on relationship with incentive goals to support. Minimal activity management. Encouraged to develop business how you see efficient. Focused on longer term goals, not daily or weekly. Competitive pay, profit sharing, 401k match, commercial card for business development use. Excellent colleague experience and specialties. Little to no banking newbies. Most are very smart and successful in their careers.

Cons

Systems dont integrate together. Different system for each activity or research. Poor lead generation. Small segment of branch banking, wealthy(not rich) personal or successful operating business under $5MM revenue. Lack of inter-division partnerships or incentive. Working together is giving away business.

Advice to Management

Develop a career path or a way that employees wont feel stuck in one role without growth.

6. "Data Analyst"

I have been working at City National Bank full-time

Pros

It's a rapidly Growing company.

Cons

It a very Low Pay difficult to move up

"Decent place to get your feet in the door"

Pros

Subsidized lunches since everything in downtown is so expensive. They also subsidize parking which is better than paying the outrageous $200 a month.

Cons

Unfortunately the manager makes or breaks your job and I had a manager that micromanaged me like there was no tomorrow. Didn’t let me take PTO and forced me to work in the weekends. Anytime I need a reference he makes sure he gives me a bad one. I can count a few times that I’ve lost out on offers because of him including future interviews I’ve had at CNB. I’ve been essentially blacklisted from this company and don’t let these fake reviews fool you either. All those exclamation marks from the same person. Also they don’t even have filtered water for its employees to drink which is pretty cheap.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a little bit more respect so they don’t leave and then proceed to blacklist them later down the road because you drove them to quit in the first place.

Jul 3, 2018 – City National Bank

Thanks for your feedback. City National does its best to provide colleagues with what they need to succeed. I appreciate your recognition of the subsidized lunch and parking, and will definitely... More

8. "Retail Banker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good family atmosphere and culture

Cons

low pay and high pressure sales

Advice to Management

Make goals realistic.

Jul 27, 2018 – City National Bank

Thanks so much for your feedback. I agree with you; our culture makes City National a great place to work.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that the company is experiencing tremendous growth... More

"Great!"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at City National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive co-workers, good place for credit training and development

Cons

Little room for advancement as senior people stay with the company for a long time

Jun 18, 2018 – City National Bank

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and thanks for all you do to make City National great.

Yes, it’s true; City National’s culture makes the bank a great place to call home, evidenced... More

10. "Associate VP Business & Technology Services"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President Business and Technology Services in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City National Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When a company has employees with 20, 30, and 40 years of seniority, something must right must be going on in that organization. This is the case of City National Bank! There’s room to grow if you have the drive and passion to excel.

Cons

The bank is a bit behind in certain technologies. Just 4 months ago, the bank moved from a 10 year old ticketing system to a more advanced and efficient platform.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders because leaders often think outside the box and are not afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.

Jun 19, 2018

Welcome to City National! Thank you for taking time to post your comments. We hear you—hiring colleagues with a leadership mentality is so important, regardless of the position’s title or level. That... More