City Of Orange Township School District Reviews | Glassdoor

City Of Orange Township School District Reviews

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Rewarding experience and fun kids, but getting teaching assignments was too competitive."

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Pepper Pike, OH
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Pepper Pike, OH

Pros

The classroom sizes were small and the children were enjoyable most of the time. The staff, especially teachers, was friendly and helpful. Most teachers provided lesson plans instead of babysitting duties such as watching the same movie all day long for 6 periods in a row. I had fun and really miss the kids.

Cons

The first few years I worked, someone would call when a sub was needed. I was very good so teachers would request me to substitute for them on a regular basis. There were complaints that some subs were never called so the district changed to a computerized system. Basically any sub could sign up for any job. Unfortunately teachers usually prefer someone familiar with the curriculum rather than having a science teacher in a Spanish class. So sometimes teachers and their favorite subs would conspire to override the system. Jobs posted by teachers who played by the rules would be gobbled up by subs who got instant e-mail on their phones. It didn't matter if they were in the middle of class or not, they'd go to a computer (usually in the classroom) and grab the job moments after it was posted. It was too crazy for me.

Advice to Management

I am not sure if the system has been improved, but I hope you can work it out.

2. "Honest Feedback"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at City Of Orange Township School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good principals and supervisors, but it can be very hit/miss.

If you do a good job, they'll leave you alone.

If you don't do a good job, they only sometimes make life difficult.

Cons

Lowest median pay in Essex county. When the former Head of HR cites as a business strategy that they take a chance on teachers that other districts wouldn't and pay them low as a result, you can't be surprised at how high turnover is in the district and how tough it is for continuity. Students suffer as a result. You eventually get what you pay for.

Advice to Management

Compensate teachers competitively compared to similar districts if you plan on keeping the good ones.

3. "Community Liaison"

Former Employee - Community Liaison in Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Community Liaison in Orange, NJ

I worked at City Of Orange Township School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the community was great for me. I enjoyed my work immensely. I was basically an independent worker with very little supervision.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

None