City Wide Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
City Wide President Jeff Oddo
Jeff Oddo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I very much enjoyed my position as an FSM for City Wide Maintenance, Indianapolis" (in 11 reviews)

• "Family environment; professional work environment; fun culture; autonomy; personal development freedom" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "no cons, left to take care of kids" (in 5 reviews)

• "The life cycle stage that each City Wide office is at varies greatly for many reasons" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Administrative Support"

I have been working at City Wide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere. Opportunity for growth

Cons

Outdated systems being used for accounting.

Advice to Management

None. They have always taken the time to listen to concerns and ideas

2. "City Wide of Central Pa -Sales & Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at City Wide full-time

Pros

You will never find two better owners of a franchise to work for, period! Support is overflowing from day 1 and once work ethic is established great trust is there as well. Out of the box thinkers willing to try things new and not just stick with the "cookie cutter" solutions.

Cons

The area is a bit saturated with Janitorial Services but that is not a negative reflection on City Wide.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job, the only advice would be to have a steady trickle of fresh contacts of key decision makers. Other than that keep doing what you are doing. Well done.

"Facility Services Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at City Wide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I very much enjoyed my position as an FSM for City Wide Maintenance, Indianapolis. I am a people person and this job allowed me to have daily interaction with my account contacts, the facility crews I managed as well as my City Wide colleagues, which I loved! I formed many new relationships and friendships as a result. This position gave me a sense of autonomy, which I appreciated. The compensation was outstanding and there were multiple ways to earn commission on top of the base pay. Internally, the owner worked very hard to create a company culture that was positive, supportive and empowering! It gave our team the feeling that even when an issue came up, we knew someone had our back and that we were supported.

Cons

As is true with any position, occasionally issues did arise. Since this business specifically handles facilities maintenance, it is natural that problems will surface at one time or another. A 24-hour operating facility is a great example because it can be challenging to adequately clean an account that is constantly in use, but with the right maintenance crew, schedule and system in place, it can be successfully achieved! Additionally, facilities are normally maintained outside of business hours, so occasionally I would need to check on something during an evening or on the weekend but not often.

4. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Office in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Office in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at City Wide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture of City Wide Indy was fantastic - always forward thinking and pushing to be better

Cons

no cons, left to take care of kids

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing! great vision

5. "Night Manager"

I worked at City Wide part-time

Pros

They offer very flexible hours.

Cons

Not enough to make a big deal out of. Every company has its flaws

"A Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Contractor Compliance Coordintator in Milwaukie, OR
    Current Employee - Contractor Compliance Coordintator in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at City Wide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Initially was interviewing for a different role but because I had HR and benefits experience they created a role that fit my skill set. It's been an awesome experience to grow with the role and to be given the opportunity to continue to do so as my office grows.

Cons

The commute! but that's anywhere you go!

7. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at City Wide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Abundant growth opportunities for both employees and company as a whole . Franchise Business Model is structured for success in my opinion as long as each Franchise Owner/s takes the necessary actions to grow and establish their business. I am confident about what I am selling and believe in why I am selling it.

Cons

The life cycle stage that each City Wide office is at varies greatly for many reasons. Depending on which City/State you are located at, your office may be at a completely different business stage and operate very differently relative to others. More established offices have gone through growing pains, established their staffing and operational needs, and streamlined their internal processes. Younger City Wide offices may have more unconventional processes and management styles while undergoing growing pains. Not necessarily a negative, but I would consider patience and perseverance to be necessary traits if working out of a younger office. Individual success really depends on your ability, desire, and motivation to work within the unique culture that exists between City Wide offices.

Advice to Management

Evaluate all of the current roles/designations currently being staffed at each location. Determine if additional staff is needed and if new positions should be considered. Clearly define and distinguish the differences between each job title and determine the structure of hierarchy. The home office does have a flow chart depicting hierarchy, but it may not be applicable depending on the office/owners. Maintain clear and transparent communication of the vision for the business. I want to know where we are at, where we are going, how we are going to get there, and if opinions/feedback from current employees is wanted. Significant improvements need to be made to bridge the gap between Sales and Operations if disparity exists.

8. "Some good, a lot of bad. (Indianapolis)"

Former Employee - FSM in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - FSM in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at City Wide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some of the staff members are really enjoyable to work with
    -Pay can be pretty decent to borderline good if you find some consistent extra charges
    -If you have a competent night manager(good luck) and are well organized, it is possible to have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Despite my long list here, I’m still giving them a 3. The pay is good and most of the people are great. But there are some serious issues that need addressed:

-FSMs are practically punching bags for both the customers and management. You spend the first half of your day getting yelled at by the customers and the second half getting yelled at by management for anything and everything they could think of that day.
    -Territories make no sense and have been altered to make specific employees happy (and wealthy) while others are set up for failure. Example: I had multiple schools in my territory. The ones that had built-in charges (and thus little commission and no money towards your “target goals”) were my responsibility. The three schools that were ran as extra charges (should have been ran as contract revenue the entire time) were given to someone else. Long behold that someone else was promoted mainly due to numbers and meeting target goals.
    -EVERY SINGLE employee that has left this company has left on bad terms. Whether they put in a 30 or two week notice or were terminated, City Wides purposely treats that individual like crap. This starts all the way from the top. They also continue to bad mouth those employees months after they have left the company.
    -Office staff is consistently arguing. Manager is always mad at someone. Staff is small enough where you hear all the gossip. Feels like a middle school with the immaturity level here at times.
    -Way under-staffed and they know it. Cannot keep night managers around because we beat them to the ground. If you don’t have a night manager (I didn’t have one for more than half of my tenure with the company) then everything at night is your responsibility. Your day quickly turns into an 8am - 10pm shift Monday - Friday, then you have to work weekends to take care of any work you could not compete during the week because you were doing the job of 2 people. Then you’re told you’re not working hard enough and that you don’t care by management.
    -Sales team is very aggressive(which is great for growth and for their pockets) but we don’t have anywhere near enough contractors to fill the buildings. Most contractors have way more work than they can handle but we’ve burnt so many bridges with so many contractors I don’t see this changing.

Advice to Management

1) You can harp about culture all you want but the negative energy that has plagued that office for so long starts at the top. You HAVE to learn to not burn bridges with everybody that has worked here. Just doesn’t make sense for business or for the culture of the building.
    2) Respect your night managers more. There’s a reason we can’t hold onto them.
    3) Re-think FSM territory’s. Stop blatantly playing favorites

9. "Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at City Wide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything! I love working for City Wide

Cons

I have no Cons, I love working here

10. "Great Company that lives it's values"

Current Employee - Operations in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at City Wide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Bosses, Great co-workers, great work environment, good pay and growth potential

Cons

Small Company - just starting out - no Benefits yet

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing