City Year Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
Cons
  • Be prepared to work hard and work long hours (in 193 reviews)

• Work life balance is only available if you work hard at it (in 47 reviews)

1. "Mid Level Management"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at City Year full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

diverse with a great sense of community. Great organization for young people just starting out in their careers.

Cons

Pay could be better but it is a non-profit but it is to be expected. There is some disconnect between the expectations of HQ and the different sites.

2. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Internship in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Internship in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at City Year part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at City Year, and people are passionate with what they are doing. They care a lot of the education for students, and spend a lot of time working.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

3. "Great Experience for a Service Year Program"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

City Year is a nationally recognized organization that does a lot of good for students and communities. It is really unique getting to work so closely to students without being a teacher and is a good trial run to see if people want to pursue a teaching career later in life. I've really enjoyed being part of a team and getting to structure my own lesson for the tutoring sessions during school and the program after school. I also enjoy the high energy culture that exists within the organization. It attracts a lot of high functioning ambitious socially minded people.

Cons

There is high turnover with the upper level management that makes for a harder transition for the AmeriCorp member especially since the position is one year. Your experience can vary so much based on the team you have and the managers you have.

5. "Great but not for Everybody"

Current Employee - City Year Los Angeles Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - City Year Los Angeles Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great work being done here which is supported by quantifiable data
    Very clear management structure throughout
    Get to help kids

Cons

Some people sign up expecting things to be easy and are very quickly shocked by the amount of work and the relatively low pay. It's really easy to live comfortably but don't expect more.

Advice to Management

Make expectations clear to corp members coming in
    Continue to support corp members in any way possible
    Be careful in over professionalizing the service being done

6. "Amazing Culture"

Former Employee - Admissions Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Admissions Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I never appreciated how much I enjoyed my time with City Year until I moved to a new company. There is collaboration, appreciation, enthusiasm and a culture of active learning.

Cons

As with any non-profit, budget and finances can add to the stress of your work.

7. "Mentor"

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

I want to help this kid at this school called Henry h Houston elementary.

Cons

It can be challenging

Advice to Management

I want to work hard for it

8. "Project Leader"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of professional development
    Contribute to social change

Cons

Tiny tiny salary. But you can live on it.

"Team Ledaer"

Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I worked at City Year (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot and get managing experience at quite a young age

Cons

Pay isn't great and a lot of the work is at the front end of the year, in the latter half of the school year there really isn't much for you to do.

Advice to Management

Don't be so strict with CY's rules. Blasting CMs for uniform/an occasional lateness etc. really makes it hard to differentiate between small infractions and big problems. E.g. writing someone up for not CCing you on an email just creates resentment and leads to harder issues down the road, like any job you don't have to win respect, just don't lose it by sticking to the rulebook without question.

10. "Decent professional development for an excessive personal cost"

Current Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FIRST AND FOREMOST: I could not submit my site's location anonymously. I do not work in OKC, but I do serve somewhere West of the Mississippi. I say this because if my site leadership saw this they could figure out who I am and I would experience backlash from those in leadership.

Create powerful connections within the local community in which you serve. If you make it through your year, you can easily land a job with another non-profit.

The sheer number of responsibilities and tasks given to fresh college grads is overwhelming, but a great crucible in which to hone your skills.

In my role I have a lot of control over where my time is spent daily. This is because my direct manager is an incredible person who trusts me to do my job and respects my opinions. This is not the norm.

Cons

50-60 hour work weeks with no work life balance in some of the most high-need urban schools in the country. Management preaches to "take care of yourself" but Corps members have no access to mental health counselors, dental care, or a realistic schedule of PTO to actually engage in self-care activities.

Abysmal pay - "living stipend" is how corps members are paid. This stipend is taxed by both the state and federal government. I take home about 450 every two weeks... for a 55 hour work week.

No support once your "term of service" has ended. Little care is given to those who are unable to find work after their "City Year".

City Year culture is the single most unnecessary aspect of the job.

I already work in a school 55 hours a week, now you expect me to sing to high school students as they enter the school building? Memorize "Putting Idealism To Work" (PITW's) little blurbs of wisdom about how to approach my personal and professional life? Go on a "individual personal development" course called the "Idealist Journey" where I am spoon-fed tired, pandering sentiments about why my service is important? Do "physical training" that equates to standing in a line and playing paddy-cake with other Corps members so local passersby and City Year staff can take pictures of it and put it on social media to show how "uniform" and "Together" we all are?

If you can't tell, I seethe with anger when I think about this aspect of my job.

City Year Culture It is just like going to summer camp when you are 5 years old. You make call backs, funny team names, silly handshakes with your friends, are forced to attend talent shows, and never get enough sleep

Only the summer lasts 10 months...

and you get guilted (and can be fired) by the counselors when you don't want to dance for High school students at 7:00 on a frigid winter morning.

Advice to Management

Cut the culture. Every Corps member I have spoken to nationally over the past 2 years actively has railed against it and site it as the #1 thing they dislike about City Year

Use SEL measures that actually correlate with improved outcomes for students.

Don't expect untrained 22 year olds to be able to handle incredibly sensitive student issues that need to be assessed by trained mental health / school counselors.

Don't make your Corps work themselves ragged. Expand mental health counseling, medical, and dental insurance for Corps Members. I have not been to a dentist in 2 years because I can't afford it on my income.

Heightened recruitment of people of color.

Increased living stipend.

When the 18-25 year olds that work for City Year in Corps Member roles realize that they are the ones in the organization that actually do the work, have the power, voice, and acumen to say no to doing the incredibly unnecessary aspects of this job - this organization will grind to a halt and millions of federal dollars will be wasted.

Get ahead of that before they see the cracks in the china like I do.

11. "Exhausting but educational"

Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, great relationship with the students, it is an intense job but it will teach you to function under stressful conditions and give you a lot of useful skills

Cons

NO work-life balance, I am constantly exhausted, high expectations, and the team environment can become catty since you are stuck with the same people for 11-hour days in a small room

Advice to Management

Increase the stipend!! Give corps members their zone assignments before they have to look for housing... I had no idea where I would be placed and half of my team ended up with an hour-plus commute from Brooklyn to the Bronx on top of our long hours, and wasn't able to switch zones.