The latest conversations about Teachers
Got a burning question about City Year? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with City Year employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Met some great people; was able to develop professionally and learn how to network; and the kids you work with are unforgettable!" (in 118 reviews)
- "Great opportunity to experience the New York City public school system and fall in love with education" (in 63 reviews)
- "Great team to work on." (in 37 reviews)
- "Good professional development" (in 35 reviews)
- "Benefits are great" (in 25 reviews)
- "The low pay means run down housing and lack of extracurricular activities outside of work." (in 291 reviews)
- "Long hours; Easily taken advantage by school admin if you don't clarify your roll" (in 284 reviews)
- "City Year is an AmeriCorps nonprofit, so the experience for this part of the organization can be really challenging— long hours and low pay are the downside, but the rewards for such valuable work are incalculable." (in 112 reviews)
- "Culture is overwhelming and not for everyone" (in 68 reviews)
- "60 hour work weeks with no work life balance in some of the most high" (in 49 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of City Year and is not affected by filters.
Found 2,077 of over 2K reviews
Updated Sep 28, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Aug 18, 2023First Year Americorps MemberCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearProvidence, RI
Super fulfilling and unique work
A lot of work, a lot of downtime, a lot of consumed time simply to meet Americorps Hours
- 4.0Sep 28, 2023AmeriCorp MemberCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearPhiladelphia, PA
Connections with other passionate young people. Making a difference for students. Social Justice focus
Low pay, long hours. Not prepared for a classroom setting. Difficult to find time to assist students
City Year Reviews FAQs
City Year has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 2,254 reviews left anonymously by employees. 54% of employees would recommend working at City Year to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
54% of City Year employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated City Year 2.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.