City Year Reviews | Glassdoor

City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, not enough pay or sick days (in 230 reviews)

• Work life balance is only available if you work hard at it (in 54 reviews)

1. "Life changing"

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Working apart of a passionate team where everyone puts their best foot forward to accomplish similar goals.

Cons

The stipend is unfit to survive off on your own or with a roommate. Consider if you're living with family and rent is not a major concern.

2. "Complex Experience"

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Miami, FL

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working with the students will provide you with a fulfilling and heartwarming experience.
    - Your team will be there for you.

Cons

There are way too many factor that will determine whether you have a positive experience or not. Those factors include your team leader, teammates, partner teacher, roommates, and school administration.

3. "Amazing people - great culture!"

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is very aligned with my personal values - education equity. The employees are inspiring and passionate. The culture can be overwhelming but I personally love the way it bonds a team together - you won't ever find an org with such strong culture.

Cons

Hours & pay for the most common reasons individuals leave. For small sites, upward mobility can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Invest in your operations team more - it's not all about development and service.

4. "Very intense, but life changing"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Miami, FL

I worked at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very impactful work. You really feel like you're making a difference in students' lives.
    You acquire a lot of skills that can be applied to multiple different career choices.
    Teamwork is a huge component that helps you through the service year.

Cons

As a corps member, the pay through AmeriCorps stipend is HARD to live of off. Plain and simple.
    The methods required to help students in schools don't always fit the school environment (depending on the site).
    Some of the teachers/school personnel don't respect/address you as an adult.

5. "City Year is a great company"

I have been working at City Year full-time

Pros

TEamwork, Excellence, Empathy, UBUNTU, Inclusivity

Cons

Non-profit, reactive, culture, budget, other

6. "Corps Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experiences, many opportunities for growth, so rewarding

Cons

Long hours (longer than what you expect), little pay, and you are generally under appreciated for the most part...

Advice to Management

Allow corps members and senior corps members to "fraternize" especially because at smaller sites, corps members moving from out of town might not have as many opportunities to meet people with the long hours.

7. "Very challenging work, but totally worth it (City Year Los Angeles site)"

Former Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Great leadership. You get the opportunity to serve under some very inspirational people.
    +Amazing experience, especially if you want to go into teaching.
    +Good post-CY employment opportunities, again, if you want to go into teaching
    +Diverse teams. You'll be have to work with people with different backgrounds and viewpoints, which is good for just learning about people but also will help build your problem-solving and negotiation skills.
    +You'll get to make a difference in someone else's life. I know it sounds corny, but some students of mine really would not have given a damn about school all year if I wasn't there pushing them. You are literally, tangibly lowering the drop-out rate.
    + It is very eye-opening to see the injustices happening on the daily in our school system

Cons

- Some leaders are amazing, some are not there yet. Sometimes it makes you wonder how some people got into those positions. Both my program managers were merely okay.
    - Ten hour days (maybe more depending on your site) can be difficult to get through. I didn't mind so much because I got in the flow of things when working with students, and sometimes I had so many tasks to complete that I lost track of time. But I know of other team mates who were eager to be out the door toward the end of the day.
    - If you're not going into education, it may be hard to find employment opportunities using City Year's network.
    - People sometimes take things too personally at work, and this can cause drama and cliques. I had some team mates who were absolutely disliked in our team, and it was so hard for them to get their school wide events rolled out because the team was reluctant to be led by them.
    - Service days have to be done in uniform. To have to paint for hours a day, in uniform, in California heat... I don't think that's a fair thing to ask of Americorps volunteers.

Despite my cons, I would definitely recommend City Year. I have grown the most as a professional here than I had in my other jobs, especially because this work places you in such challenging and uncomfortable situations (i.e. working with teammates with different work ethic, being partnered with teachers who seem to be working against you, having to make changes to our programs from the bottom to the top). Although sometimes I wish I had better managers or co-workers, it still helped me grow as a professional to have to work with people who's style of working I did not agree with.

That being said, working with the students is the highlight of this job. Most of the time in a day is dedicated to supporting them in class or in your after school program. And this will require patience, since some of them may not understand things the first time, and may even not want to work with you at all. If working with students on schoolwork is not something you think you'd enjoy, then I would not recommend this program for you.

Advice to Management

> Find ways to make communication between team members and management that are productive. Sometimes corps members resort to complaining because they feel that their voice won't matter if they tell their manager about problems or concerns.

> I don't know why people bring drama into the workplace, but it happens so much and it really prevents the team from being effective. More training one conflict resolution for corps members would be great!

8. "It was great while I was there I learned A lot about myself. Helping people was the best experience ive ever had"

Former Employee - Core Mark in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Core Mark in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could change one young persons life I ment people from different backgrounds states that love helping people that maybe need help

Cons

Traveling everywhere and just some negative effects and experiences ive had whlie I was there

Advice to Management

Never ever give up on your job don't let some one else mess up your job

9. "Civic Engagement Project Leader"

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Physical exercise, forming close bonds with teammates, lots of leadership opportunities

Cons

Average working day +12hrs and normally a six-day work week

10. "Could be a good starting position if there were not so much favoritism"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Being able to help out children who live in an environment with fewer opportunities.
    - Making connections with like-minded people who value education and social justice

Cons

- Staff shows extreme favoritism. The administrative staff jokingly would comment on how everyone who worked in the office was attractive. Seriously, people were hired for administrative work and higher positions in the schools were all popular and attractive. They missed a lot of potential by not considering people who were not attractive.
    - Poor salary

Advice to Management

- Consider people for their potential/ability to work with others- not for their looks!