City Year Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, not enough pay or sick days (in 215 reviews)

• Work life balance is only available if you work hard at it (in 48 reviews)

1. "CY NOLA was a horrible experience"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New Orleans, LA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actually working with the students and meeting people from all over the country.
    After this job, I feel like I can do anything

Cons

Horrible impact directors and all the politics with CY. CY dies not see you as a human being and does not care about your mental health. We worked for 14 hours on most days.

2. "City Year Corps Member"

Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing experience if you want to go into education.

Cons

Very little pay and too many hours

Advice to Management

Pay corps member a higher living stipend

3. "Decent professional development for an excessive personal cost"

Current Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FIRST AND FOREMOST: I could not submit my site's location anonymously. I do not work in OKC, but I do serve somewhere West of the Mississippi. I say this because if my site leadership saw this they could figure out who I am and I would experience backlash from those in leadership.

Create powerful connections within the local community in which you serve. If you make it through your year, you can easily land a job with another non-profit.

The sheer number of responsibilities and tasks given to fresh college grads is overwhelming, but a great crucible in which to hone your skills.

In my role I have a lot of control over where my time is spent daily. This is because my direct manager is an incredible person who trusts me to do my job and respects my opinions. This is not the norm.

Cons

50-60 hour work weeks with no work life balance in some of the most high-need urban schools in the country. Management preaches to "take care of yourself" but Corps members have no access to mental health counselors, dental care, or a realistic schedule of PTO to actually engage in self-care activities.

Abysmal pay - "living stipend" is how corps members are paid. This stipend is taxed by both the state and federal government. I take home about 450 every two weeks... for a 55 hour work week.

No support once your "term of service" has ended. Little care is given to those who are unable to find work after their "City Year".

City Year culture is the single most unnecessary aspect of the job.

I already work in a school 55 hours a week, now you expect me to sing to high school students as they enter the school building? Memorize "Putting Idealism To Work" (PITW's) little blurbs of wisdom about how to approach my personal and professional life? Go on a "individual personal development" course called the "Idealist Journey" where I am spoon-fed tired, pandering sentiments about why my service is important? Do "physical training" that equates to standing in a line and playing paddy-cake with other Corps members so local passersby and City Year staff can take pictures of it and put it on social media to show how "uniform" and "Together" we all are?

If you can't tell, I seethe with anger when I think about this aspect of my job.

City Year Culture It is just like going to summer camp when you are 5 years old. You make call backs, funny team names, silly handshakes with your friends, are forced to attend talent shows, and never get enough sleep

Only the summer lasts 10 months...

and you get guilted (and can be fired) by the counselors when you don't want to dance for High school students at 7:00 on a frigid winter morning.

Advice to Management

Cut the culture. Every Corps member I have spoken to nationally over the past 2 years actively has railed against it and site it as the #1 thing they dislike about City Year

Use SEL measures that actually correlate with improved outcomes for students.

Don't expect untrained 22 year olds to be able to handle incredibly sensitive student issues that need to be assessed by trained mental health / school counselors.

Don't make your Corps work themselves ragged. Expand mental health counseling, medical, and dental insurance for Corps Members. I have not been to a dentist in 2 years because I can't afford it on my income.

Heightened recruitment of people of color.

Increased living stipend.

When the 18-25 year olds that work for City Year in Corps Member roles realize that they are the ones in the organization that actually do the work, have the power, voice, and acumen to say no to doing the incredibly unnecessary aspects of this job - this organization will grind to a halt and millions of federal dollars will be wasted.

Get ahead of that before they see the cracks in the china like I do.

4. "Only + for me is working with the kids"

Current Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Working on a team
    -Building relationships with your students (BEST part by far)
    -Meeting new people
    -Segal Education Award at end of service year

Cons

-Long and unpredictable hours (can be up to 12/day but as little as 8 but that's rare)
    -Living on a stipend is very hard
    -I never have free time
    -CY culture is annoying and cult-like
    -Person who interviewed me gave a very inaccurate description of the job
    -Literally no days off
    -Lack of sympathy when it comes to absences/missing work

Advice to Management

PLEASE increase the stipend and don't take everything so seriously!! ex. uniforms. Also training sessions are long and dull. Also didn't find out what region I would be working in until a few weeks before service started so finding housing was risky and a gamble.

"Tons of passionate, talented individuals but workload/organization kills your spirit"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High impact with students, allows you to really get to know your kids and be a mentor to them
    - Allows you to gain experience and perspective on the inner workings of schools
    - Opens doors and provides a great network
    - If resilient and motivated, can be a tremendous year of growth

Cons

- Corps members are overworked and underpaid (at least 12 hour workdays with VERY little pay)
    - High turnover rate
    - Many of the corps members I served with ended up being deeply depressed during their year and became disinterested with education
    - For me personally, my commute was 4 hours each day due to my placement and received little support from the organization
    - A lot of chaos in upper/senior management, incompetence between many team leaders and some managers
    - A lot of unnecessary/busy required work
    - In my experience, corps members were encouraged to take/do more work home even after 12 hour workdays
    - The experience can and will break your spirits a bit. You will be left physically, mentally, and emotionally drained
    - A bit like a cult

Advice to Management

There are a lot of gems and talented people in the organization that are being overworked and under appreciated. The manager I had during my corps year was phenomenal. On the other hand, I know some of my peers suffered from managers/team leaders that were highly incompetent that are STILL in the organization to this day (in spite of the barrage of complaints to senior management by multiple people). Get rid of the people that are hurting the organization and either compensate your corps members more or lessen the work hours. Take care of your corps members instead of extinguishing the flames that have made these individuals passionate.

While I am grateful for the experience and the people that I have met, I would not recommend City Year to anyone. Plenty of other nonprofits do similar work that take better care of its corps members/employees and are able to reach higher impact to students.

"Program Department"

Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of opportunity to do meaningful work throughout great communities in the New York City.

Cons

Veteran staff tend to get promoted to upper management positions in the program department, and many of them hold a strong sense of entitlement. Huge double standards held by these staff members who are willing to fire Corps Members for many of the same behaviors that they themselves demonstrate daily.

Advice to Management

Consider outside hires for upper management positions.

"Priceless Experience With a Cost"

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Little Rock, AR

Pros

I gained an insurmountable amount of experience within 10 months, that would have otherwise taken me years to gain. Coming straight out of college, working with the school and the multiple roles I had while working on my team was very beneficial. The kids were many mornings that the kids were the only reason I wanted to get out of bed.

Cons

-The pay is TERRIBLE for everything that you do, but it helps teach you how to become a hard and diligent worker.
    -They don't teach you how to market yourself and how to transfer your newly developed skill set with "real world jobs", which I'm finding to be challenging.
    -Management is often times under qualified, making the work for the corps members more difficult than it should be.
    -The "City Year culture" that you're forced to abide by is b.s.

Advice to Management

Management needs to do a MUCH better job with listening to their corps members. I was a "boots on the ground" worker, and management was making money off of my work, that I do not think was rightfully earned. If you're earning money off of someone else's labor, and they have valid complaints that effect the students AND employees, LISTEN. TO. THEM.

8. "English Tutor"

Former Employee - English Tutor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - English Tutor in San Antonio, TX

Pros

-Awesome resume enhancement
    -Work with kids that really need your help

Cons

-not a welcoming environment if you vote anything besides democrat
    -organization puts culture ahead of students

Advice to Management

Look to hire a more politically diverse corps

9. "A Tough Year of Service"

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Columbus, OH

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

City Year is an organization rooted in strong values. They enable Corps Members to serve communities and kids in need. They do a lot to educate employees about the larger issues that impact their students (poverty and the achievement gap in education, trauma and education, etc.) They encourage reflection and teamwork.

Cons

Because City Year is a one year commitment, many who work in management roles lack experience.

10. "Not as Glamorous as advertised"

Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at City Year part-time

Pros

Working with kids who really need the help and support is very rewarding.

Cons

Dealing with the stress of burnt out teachers, long hours, very low pay.....all the red tape to get the benefits that City Year promised at the start...You have to want to be here because you won't survive on just the pay and stipends they provide...you need to have some outside support from savings or a family.

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and see what's going on out there.