City Year Reviews | Glassdoor

City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, not enough pay or sick days (in 220 reviews)

• Work life balance is only available if you work hard at it (in 50 reviews)

1. "review of city year"

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in New York, NY

I worked at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good team environment, good training and benefits, excellent practice for continuing a career in education.

Cons

question ethical concerns, mainly white-savior complex and issues of class.

Advice to Management

more diverse crews, more training in handling class and race differences.

2. "AmeriCorps Member"

Former Employee - Former AmeriCorps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Former AmeriCorps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- strong sense of community with fellow Corps members
    - alumni mentorship program and university partners
    - leadership development

Cons

- low pay
    - the hours

Advice to Management

I think its ridiculous that Corps members are paid so little for all the work they do.

3. "Senior AmeriCorps Member: Team Leader"

Former Employee - Senior AmeriCorps Member: Team Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior AmeriCorps Member: Team Leader in New York, NY

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am glad I did a year with City Year.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest.

4. "When You Know What You've Signed up For"

Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - City Year Corps Member in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice trips for workers
    Education Award
    You're making a difference in someone's life and more than likely learning something yourself

Cons

Long hours
    Though the stipend is low (at poverty level, such as the people you serve) the living arrangements were tough because Jacksonville costs a lot of you want to be safe

5. "First Year Corps Member"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Columbus, OH

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

City Year is an excellent opportunity to give back to your community, and the work you do in the schools can be so incredibly rewarding. The students you tutor will impact you as much as you impact them. Additionally, the CY staff members are very supportive, both of the work you do for City Year, and helping you to develop yourself professionally.

Cons

Obvious con: stipend life. It can be stressful and very difficult at times to live on a salary that is less than minimum wage. I would suggest trying to live with your parents or family during your year of service. Otherwise, I'd look into getting a roommate or two and living in an apartment that is on the cheaper side. The other con is that sometimes there's a lot of tasks that seem like "busy work". It can be frustrating when you already have a lot to do during the week, but it's usually for the benefit of you or your students.

Advice to Management

Consider raising the stipend/living allowance.

6. "Worthwhile Opportunity"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Boston, MA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to really make a difference in your school
    -People who overall really care about systemic issues in our education system
    -Professional development opportunities (including scholarships) for corps members

Cons

-Long hours
    -Work/Like balance doesn't seem consistent across everyone's experience

7. "Hard but rewarding"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in New York, NY

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll form really close and amazing bonds with your team if you're lucky. Diverse team is a great opportunity to expand your worldview and learn from other people. The work with your kids is really rewarding in that you'll form strong attachments with them and will relish every accomplishment alongside them. CY is also a great resume step and professional growing experience. It is a well known org that looks good to future employers, and you'll learn a lot of skills and gain a lot of experience that will help you in future jobs (and in job interviews!). Great place to transition from college to the workforce, since you're surrounded by people your age who are in a similar spot professionally and you are constantly being given more training and development sessions.

Difficult to have time for things outside of City Year and sleep, so say goodbye to that!

Cons

Long hours, extremely exhausting (physically, mentally and emotionally). Very high expectations. More responsibilities on the job than the stipend warrants. Very hard to live in New York on the stipend unless you have family to live with! Culture pieces can be weird (a lot of strange rituals, all the time) but is ultimately a nice glue to bring everyone together.

Advice to Management

Consider either increasing the stipend or decreasing the time/responsibilities of ACMs.

8. "Team Leader, Previous AmeriCorps Member"

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job provides each individual with a lot of growth opportunities, and professional development. From day one I was told not to come with any pre-conceived expectations about the organization, and that is because you have to be really flexible and open to doing things outside of your job description.
    This is a great program to provide service to an under-resourced community while building yourself up with skills that you might not have imagined you would accomplish.
    You get to work with people from different backgrounds, cultures, and ideologies and learn to collaborate with them and seek a common ground.
    You learn to multitask
    You get to meet amazing and resilient students that you get to build a bond with, and you get to tutor and inspire.
    You learn to manage up, provide effective and constructive feedback, reflect on your experiences and use that to build yourself up.
    You get what you put in, if you put yourself out there, you will gain more leadership skills and might even have the opportunity to lead your own project.

Cons

Long, draining hours.
    Low stipend- hard to live with (wage goes up when you move past the AmeriCorps Member position)
    Low resources, challenging work environment, having to find creative ways to support students that don't want your support
    Hard to work with people that think differently from you
    A lot of what you learn is a result of doing the work- learn by doing
    If you're easily stressed and put out by setbacks, this might not be the best environment for you.

Advice to Management

Get to know the ACMs, and find creative ways to train them early on to allow for maximum use of trainings.

9. "You Get What You Give"

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No day is the same! Expect to be asked to do a variety of tasks. If you do not wish to go beyond your basic job description do not apply. City Year is a great resource for the community so if you aren't flexible this role might not be right for you.

Lots of growth opportunities (if you choose to take them). City Year offers a lot of professional development opportunities. Here in San Jose there are staff members that are truly invested in your success and make themselves available if you have questions about their career paths. If you choose not to network outside your school team you miss out on great opportunities.

Great organizational values that connect you to your service. City Year in itself allows you to grow personally and professionally. You get consistent feedback on how you can grow as a mentor, tutor, and teacher.

The kids are amazing to work with and the community knows our work well.

Cons

The Bay Area is expensive. Plan to budget wisely, although the cost of living is manageable you may need to skimp on things like daily coffee runs.

Working with diverse groups is always difficult. Expect to work collaboratively with other work styles that you may not be used to.

The work is rewarding but very demanding. If you cannot handle high-stress, fast-paced work environments this may not be the role for you.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the Corps experience. This work is amazing and I hope to see it remain possible for everyone that wishes to pursue a service year.

10. "Team Leader (AmeriCorps member volunteer)"

Former Employee - Team Leader in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in San Jose, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a City Year Americorps member I was a full time volunteer living on a stipend. My second year of service I was a team leader and was given numerous leadership opportunities through which I gained invaluable experience. During my time at City Year I came to see that they care deeply about the success of not only the students they serve but also the AmeriCorps member volunteers and their staff.

Cons

Working as a full time AmeriCorps member volunteer on a relatively small stipend was hard. The hours were long and often challenging. Knowing that as a volunteer I was only committed to 10 months of service made it easier for me to commit so much time and energy to the job. Leadership is often caught up in high level planning, sometimes it felt as though they did not appreciate the work being done on the ground day to day.

Advice to Management

Continue to support AmeriCorps members throughout their year of service and be sure that they feel appreciated.