City Year Reviews | Glassdoor

City Year CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours but its worth it when your making a difference (in 243 reviews)

• Work life balance is only available if you work hard at it (in 55 reviews)

1. "Service to a cause greater than self"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at City Year (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to make a difference in a child's life need I say more?

Cons

long hours/lack of visible appreciation from school/pay

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

2. "Great Environment and Job for the Passionate"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong work culture
    Lots of support
    Understands that membership is temporary and encourages after-service plans
    Working with youth
    Strong connection with community
    Engaging
    Healthcare insurance options

Cons

Temporary
    Long hours
    Small stipend
    Working with some flawed public schooling systems (depending on the site)
    Underfunded
    Does not provide enough material for efficient work space

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on people. The environment is very kind, open, and welcoming, and that is a huge pro on top of the opportunity to be in service.

3. "Corp Member"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at City Year as a contractor

Pros

Gained much insight on how to make a difference in different communities. Hard work but definitely manageable.

Cons

None. You know what you’re getting into with service agreement

4. "Great experience but expect hard work and unrecognized sacrifice"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission to be a part of
    Upbeat and encouraging organizational culture
    Professional development opportunities
    Opportunity to work and live in a new community
    Grant money
    Opportunity to lead and participate in service projects
    Value-driven and with reflection sessions

Cons

Some days and weeks will be very long, lots of hours
    It is not nearly as nice as what you see on the website. The school system in Miami will limit your impact. You cannot take students your own classroom, cannot do a lot of fun activities, some teachers don’t care about CY and will not let you do your work (will not give you the time you need with students). You have to teach the waybthe school district instructs and school administrations can be very challenging to work with.
    If you are shy or hate being upbeat, this job will be challenging.

Advice to Management

It’s great to do team building activities to keep a spirit of fun and encourage the teams to work together. Having inspiring speaker presentations also helps. The main concern is getting a good working relationship with school administrations.

5. "A great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven, important work, impactful for needy students.

Cons

Long hours, lower pay rate for a non-profit.

6. "Best Year of MY LIFE"

Former Contractor - City Year Corps Member
    Former Contractor - City Year Corps Member

I worked at City Year as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a diverse group of people
    Networking
    Making a difference in the community
    Lifelong Friends

Cons

Long Hours
    Low monthly stipend (but worth it overall IMO)

7. "Life changing"

I worked at City Year full-time

Pros

Working apart of a passionate team where everyone puts their best foot forward to accomplish similar goals.

Cons

The stipend is unfit to survive off on your own or with a roommate. Consider if you're living with family and rent is not a major concern.

8. "Very challenging work, but totally worth it (City Year Los Angeles site)"

Former Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Second Year Americorps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Great leadership. You get the opportunity to serve under some very inspirational people.
    +Amazing experience, especially if you want to go into teaching.
    +Good post-CY employment opportunities, again, if you want to go into teaching
    +Diverse teams. You'll be have to work with people with different backgrounds and viewpoints, which is good for just learning about people but also will help build your problem-solving and negotiation skills.
    +You'll get to make a difference in someone else's life. I know it sounds corny, but some students of mine really would not have given a damn about school all year if I wasn't there pushing them. You are literally, tangibly lowering the drop-out rate.
    + It is very eye-opening to see the injustices happening on the daily in our school system

Cons

- Some leaders are amazing, some are not there yet. Sometimes it makes you wonder how some people got into those positions. Both my program managers were merely okay.
    - Ten hour days (maybe more depending on your site) can be difficult to get through. I didn't mind so much because I got in the flow of things when working with students, and sometimes I had so many tasks to complete that I lost track of time. But I know of other team mates who were eager to be out the door toward the end of the day.
    - If you're not going into education, it may be hard to find employment opportunities using City Year's network.
    - People sometimes take things too personally at work, and this can cause drama and cliques. I had some team mates who were absolutely disliked in our team, and it was so hard for them to get their school wide events rolled out because the team was reluctant to be led by them.
    - Service days have to be done in uniform. To have to paint for hours a day, in uniform, in California heat... I don't think that's a fair thing to ask of Americorps volunteers.

Despite my cons, I would definitely recommend City Year. I have grown the most as a professional here than I had in my other jobs, especially because this work places you in such challenging and uncomfortable situations (i.e. working with teammates with different work ethic, being partnered with teachers who seem to be working against you, having to make changes to our programs from the bottom to the top). Although sometimes I wish I had better managers or co-workers, it still helped me grow as a professional to have to work with people who's style of working I did not agree with.

That being said, working with the students is the highlight of this job. Most of the time in a day is dedicated to supporting them in class or in your after school program. And this will require patience, since some of them may not understand things the first time, and may even not want to work with you at all. If working with students on schoolwork is not something you think you'd enjoy, then I would not recommend this program for you.

Advice to Management

> Find ways to make communication between team members and management that are productive. Sometimes corps members resort to complaining because they feel that their voice won't matter if they tell their manager about problems or concerns.

> I don't know why people bring drama into the workplace, but it happens so much and it really prevents the team from being effective. More training one conflict resolution for corps members would be great!

9. "Corps Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at City Year full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experiences, many opportunities for growth, so rewarding

Cons

Long hours (longer than what you expect), little pay, and you are generally under appreciated for the most part...

Advice to Management

Allow corps members and senior corps members to "fraternize" especially because at smaller sites, corps members moving from out of town might not have as many opportunities to meet people with the long hours.

10. "It was great while I was there I learned A lot about myself. Helping people was the best experience ive ever had"

Former Employee - Core Mark in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Core Mark in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at City Year full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could change one young persons life I ment people from different backgrounds states that love helping people that maybe need help

Cons

Traveling everywhere and just some negative effects and experiences ive had whlie I was there

Advice to Management

Never ever give up on your job don't let some one else mess up your job