City of Auburn, WA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 6, 2017

3.2
Nancy Backus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overworked but Appreciated"

I have been working at City of Auburn, WA full-time

Pros

The City of Auburn PD is probably the busiest department of its size anywhere... crazy, crazy busy. Unfortunately the City doesn't pay the best and Officers don't get take-home cars. But the Chief, Bob Lee, is probably the best boss in the world. You can't find a Chief who respects his Officers the way Lee does. Top notch leadership doesn't make up for the volume of work and lack of perks to some people... but it does for me.

Cons

Too many calls for too few Officers.
    No take home cars.

Advice to Management

Hire more Officers in patrol and give take-home cars to patrol Officers.

2. "Uncordinated individuals with favoritism click groups"

Former Freelancer - Intern/Volunteer in Auburn, WA
    Former Freelancer - Intern/Volunteer in Auburn, WA

I worked at City of Auburn, WA (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, warm up to you once they find out you have masonry family and/or recent family history. My great grandfather was "What time is it: WM 150." His son and his son and so on. Otherwise it's all about favoritism click groups. Most of my training was: "We'll get you in contact with someone who is well trained..." We contacted them, contacted them, and no reply at all. That's as far as my training went.

Cons

Volunteered for the police department for a year: Apparently my hours didn't count, WTF?! Unless your hours are logged in a dusty book locked behind three security locked doors in a basement your hours don't count. No way to digitally remotely record them. Department did a change of hands before they tallied hours so no on thought my hours were a bit off??? So 80 hours of volunteering didn't count. This is my first impression of this city so I shall not continue. Other than the staff being really friendly I wouldn't recommend it.

Advice to Management

Talk to your departments. Don't put up a wall.

3. "The Good Boys Club"

Former Employee - Multimedia Design Technician in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Design Technician in Auburn, WA

I worked at City of Auburn, WA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, work-life balance, decent salary, and many wonderful people. Overall, the work environment, in general, is pretty great.

Cons

Bureaucracy and popularity contests really set the tone for the work environment, as many people are working in fear, and many are pretending to be happy so they can keep their jobs.There is also little to no opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the work environment like high school and create more opportunities for growth. The benefits and work/life balance are wonderful assets to employment opportunities, which makes working there an overall positive experience.

4. "recreation aide"

I worked at City of Auburn, WA (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, relaxed work environment, manager was very helpful with anything I needed.

Cons

hard to get hours, low pay, very few cons to this job, can't complain about it at all

5. "More Than You Imagined!"

I have been working at City of Auburn, WA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with some great peers, and a City leadership team that is focused on team-building and creation of solutions.

Cons

The cons are manageable, and not overbearing.

6. "Desperately Wanted to Compete with Seattle"

I worked at City of Auburn, WA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, easy work, good amount of time off, great benefits. Easy commute if you catch the Sounder from the north or south.

Cons

Bad, self-involved leadership - it feels like they're all out for themselves and nobody shows a lot of care for the people they manage. Employees are treated like tools to use and discard.

Advice to Management

Guide your leadership to better employee career and workplace support. Nobody wants to feel like they're being trampled in a manager's rise to the top.

7. "A professional organization"

Former Employee - GIS Storm Water Technician in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - GIS Storm Water Technician in Federal Way, WA

I worked at City of Auburn, WA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competent people, and managers who listen to their people.

Cons

The normal political crap that goes with pubic service

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to your workers

8. "The City of Auburn was a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

Pros

During my time there, I thoroughly enjoyed working for the Director of Planning & Development and his team. I received a great deal of support from the Directors of Finance, Human Resources and IT, enabling me to accomplish my projects with ease.

Cons

I wish they had more opportunities for professional growth requiring marketing experience, but that is not always possible in the public sector.

Advice to Management

Continue collaborating across functions to ensure the overall success of your planning objectives. Continue to connect with your residents to maintain that sense of community.

9. "It was a dysfunctional team environment"

Pros

opportunity to learn and leadership, great compensation and benefit package.

Cons

No sense of team by department or division or organization. Everyone is for themselves.

"Horrible supervisors/management"

Former Employee - Meter Reader/Maintenance in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Meter Reader/Maintenance in Auburn, WA

I worked at City of Auburn, WA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, easy commute for most, decent pay, good work/life balance, lots of time off.

Cons

Not innovative, overtime is a joke, hard to advance, very political, it is definetly small business feeling where everyone knows everyone, most people are looking to leave to work elsewhere, co workers can be jerks, lots more...

Advice to Management

Use the training you learn in your classes to make it a better place to work, don't belittle people below you just because they are not as knowledgeable.