City of Boulder Reviews | Glassdoor

Suzanne Jones
  1. "Solid job"

Former Employee - Lifeguard

I worked at City of Boulder part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable schedule, can choose hours

Cons

Can be boring at times

City of Boulder2019-07-01
  2. "NBRC Front Desk"

Former Employee - Recreation Cashier in Boulder, CO

I worked at City of Boulder part-time for less than a year

Pros

- You Get To Sit - Free Rec Pass - Nice Employees - Flexible Schedule

Cons

- Bad communication with employees. I was written off the schedule with zero warning because I hadn’t learned something on the computers fast enough. I hadn’t been told I needed to learn it in a certain amount of time but she was under the impression she had made that clear from the start. - Management bad mouthed other Employees in front of everyone (Example: “She’s bad at remembering to scan the silver sneakers... card” or “We’re probably going to fire him” or “Her brother was a terrible employee but I guess we will give her a chance” etc.) - Not a laid back atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Communicate when needed and don’t talk about your employees to each other in front of everyone.

City of Boulder2018-11-13
  3. "Cashier"

I worked at City of Boulder part-time

Pros

Great people. Managers are great and helpful. You can move up to a higher paying job.

Cons

Pay is low. Few full-time opportunities.

City of Boulder2018-09-14
  4. "Lifeguard"

Lifeguard in Boulder, CO

I worked at City of Boulder for less than a year

Pros

Good variety in work environment, co-workers, good support from management

Cons

Awful prospects for upward movement, pretty big organization, not a lot of potential for personal interactions with management, feels like a "say yes" environment which is not always a good thing.

Advice to Management

Support each individual, recognize their contribution to the team and provide raises based on that.

City of Boulder2018-06-21

"It’s ok"

I worked at City of Boulder full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Public sector, decent benefits (when they’re actually offered/enforced, people who care and try to do right

Cons

Old leadership without opportunities for advancement, really depends on your work group and boss, talk a lot about flex time, remote work and work life balance but don’t actually enforce it, rigid, inefficient, bloated in some areas and understaffed in others, misinformation and hiding things for no reason from employees and public. News always comes out eventually and then there’s bad will. Raises are pathetic and... salaries not liveable, everyone lives outside Boulder and has to drive in. Not a place I can recommend working

Advice to Management

Invest in front line staff and technology. Offer real raises. Get rid of bad managers. Tell the truth.

City of Boulder2018-06-28

"OSMP is a great place to work"

I have been working at City of Boulder full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The City of Boulder has a lot of great benefits including paid maternity/paternity leave and wellness incentives where by doing healthy things, you can earn up to $150 a year for free! Health and the environment are huge motivators for the City and the culture reflects that. The OSMP (Open Space and Mountain Parks department) is family and pet friendly. The supervisors support a healthy work/life balance and... truly care about the employees. People within all departments of OSMP work hard to collaborate with others. Boulder itself is full of great places to eat and recreate (OSMP being the main "get outdoors" spot), retailers cater to different sports such as running and cycling and there is a very bike friendly network of paths.

Cons

Some job positions have recently been looked at to see if the pay and benefits are competitive with other employers in the area. Rangers are required to be Law Enforcement, Wildland Fire fighters and First Responders (minimum) yet do not relieve compensation that acknowledges these duties. The position was compared to other local Ranger groups, the majority of whom do not carry the same responsibilities. High... cost of living in Boulder and surrounding areas. If you are part of the liberal, organic/vegan etc crowd - you will probably be happy here. If your views tend to run toward conservative, this may not be the best place for you. Boulder isn't friendly to traditional religions. People here preach acceptance but only practice this if your views are compatible. Boulder is also very pretentious. There is a lot of money here and it shows both in the million dollar homes as well in the entitled attitudes of many local residents. Long story short - OSMP is great but I really wish it was located somewhere other than Boulder.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees!

City of Boulder2017-09-01
  7. "Lots to Learn, Limited Growth"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Boulder, CO

I have been working at City of Boulder full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to learn a lot and work on variety of projects. Supports an active work and life balance.

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities.

City of Boulder2017-08-14
  8. "Meh"

I worked at City of Boulder full-time

Pros

Really cool people and get to work outside. Free to take ((unpaid)) time off whenever you need. Pretty flexible

Cons

They act like they are forward-thinking and environmentally minded, but then spray carcinogens all over their city.

Advice to Management

Don't spray as much and focus more on soil restoration. It may be more work upfront, but will save you time and money in the long run.

City of Boulder2017-08-19
  9. "City of Boulder"

I have been working at City of Boulder full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and benefits, healthcare could be better

Cons

lack of strategic thinking...lots of fighting fires, which burn staff out.

Advice to Management

pause and think more about your resources and how best to use them.

City of Boulder2017-06-18
  10. "Junior Ranger"

I worked at City of Boulder part-time

Pros

Great work environment, great other employees

Cons

Nothing that really got on my nerves

City of Boulder2017-06-02