City of Boulder Reviews | Glassdoor

City of Boulder CEO Suzanne Jones
Suzanne Jones
  1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Boulder, CO

I worked at City of Boulder part-time for more than a year

Pros

This position gave me a chance to gain invaluable, degree related experience with extensive, patient supervision while finishing my university degree. Employees seemed happy and welcomed the opportunity to help me and the work was challenging and varied.

Cons

The pay is low for these types of positions and as turnover in the city staff is low (due to happy employees) there is little opportunity to be hired upon graduation from college.

City of Boulder2015-12-27

"Great Work Environment, Amazing Colleagues"

I have been working at City of Boulder full-time

Pros

Most employees of the City of Boulder are all highly qualified, outgoing contributors. There is a tight bond among departments and a lot of interdepartmental work. And on top of everything, the benefits are amazing.

Cons

There is limited advancement possibilities. Unless you are actively seeking a higher degree, moving up within the City may be difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You seem to be recruiting great people for the organization and providing excellent service for the citizens.

City of Boulder2015-11-05
  3. "the library"

I have been working at City of Boulder full-time

Pros

Some departments are very flexible about where you work and when you work. my coworkers are really nice and understanding people. I have seen many generous things done for others. you also get to be involved in many new and exciting changes

Cons

high expectations with very little extra compensation. health care coverage is mediocre at best. additionally, you have to pay the city to park.

Advice to Management

slow down a bit and stop trying to implement all the new changes at once. we're doing a lot of big things and we need a chance to recover from all the work of pulling them off.

City of Boulder2015-11-06
  4. "Good While In School"

I worked at City of Boulder

Pros

-meet nice patrons -mostly nice co workers

Cons

-not challenging -poor managment -no communication

City of Boulder2015-10-02

"Professional"

in Boulder, CO

I have been working at City of Boulder

Pros

Great staff and colleagues, lots of opportunity for growth and development, good training, great vacation time

Cons

Big work program, sometimes very reactionary rather than strategic

Advice to Management

Be ware of the work plan and staffing levels. Don't chase shiny objects, but stay focused on priorities.

City of Boulder2015-09-04

"Professional"

I have been working at City of Boulder full-time

Pros

Community Service Ability to learn and interact with talented professionals Employees care tremendously about their work, organization and community Possibility of making a difference Training

Cons

There is a perception that upper management doesn't care about employees and that employees are easily replaceable Workload is ridiculous

Advice to Management

Be strategic Trust staff and empower them to make decisions about their work There should be much better prioritization from the top down Stop building up the hierarchy (eteam/mteam/deputies/etc)... Upper management needs to be more transparent and build trust on their own team

City of Boulder2015-08-29
  7. "coordinator"

I have been working at City of Boulder part-time

Pros

Great people to work with - fun atmosphere. Employees even part time get great benefits including use of the recreation centers and pools. Also wellness perks where you get money back that you paid toward benefits.

Cons

Director micro-manages and brings morale down. Collaboration is one of our City values - but in this department it is her way or hit the highway.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs, and for goodness sakes, before you make a major change that impacts your stake holders - discuss it with the employees that are directly effected.

City of Boulder2015-08-27
  8. "Not the Worst"

Current Employee - Childcare Attendant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at City of Boulder part-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers and child care leads are fun Flexible work hours and everyone tends to be understanding of person situations If you love working with children this is the job for you

Cons

They don't tell you that you have to ask for your raises and they are based solely on hours completed No manager on duty so no one really knows what needs to get done no holiday pay but you will be asked to work holidays

City of Boulder2015-07-08

"Challenging and fun"

I have been working at City of Boulder for more than 8 years

Pros

employee development, great community, talented staff members, innovation abilities

Cons

All employees in many departments have too much on their plates. Communication can be less than ideal.

City of Boulder2015-04-24

"I learned some very valuable job skills at the City."

I worked at City of Boulder full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Because the citizens of Boulder are very willing to finance projects, there are many learning opportunities at the City of Boulder. For the people who need training, they are willing to pay for the training to keep you current on skills.

Cons

The area I worked in would not pay for schooling only training, there was an expectation of the employees to work 60-70 hours a week. There is not work-life balance. Most people cannot afford to live in Boulder, so it was frequently discussed that over 70% of the workforce commuted into Boulder to work. The pay is comparable to Denver but the cost of living does not factor into the pay. It costs much less to... live in Denver than it does in Boulder.

Advice to Management

For the hours commitment and the cost of living in the city, this should be considered when evaluating pay scales. Also, there is value in keeping the people you have and not continuously training new employees. I find it surprising that upper management/city manager/city council do not find it odd that the only people that they can hire are from out of state.

City of Boulder2015-03-11