City of Calgary Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
City of Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi
Naheed Nenshi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance emphasized with flex time (in 27 reviews)

• Great pay, pension, and benefits; flexible work week schedules; job security; excellent career development opportunities and training (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Human Resources is a strategic service, and needs to be able to intervene in business units that are not playing by the rules (in 5 reviews)

• Compared to the private industry the city is a great place to work (in 3 reviews)

"Uncompetitive"

Current Employee - Technical in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at City of Calgary full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location downtown, fixed work hours

Cons

Dictatorial management, cronyism exists very strongly within upper management. Make life very difficult for unionised employees. Too much of a do as I say and not as I do.
    Extremely top heavy management compared to private industry. Middle layer management could be and should be removed and departments/teams merged.

Management promotes incompetent employees into senior positions to protect their own backs so they do not look bad.

Message to HR. The employee survey is not to be trusted and achieves very litle. The questions asked make it easy for management to identify the employee. I was made to feel alienated by management and so were some of my colleagues. HR need to keep the results to themselves and use the responses to weed out bad management. The City could be a great place to work but it is generally not.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to stop micro managing.

2. "Bullying atmosphere"

I worked at City of Calgary full-time

Pros

Complex business environment that creates that provides some great challenges to work on.
    Lots of opportunities to move departments
    Flexible work spaces

Cons

Lots of bullying in my business unit from leadership.
    Lots of people take advantage with long coffee breaks, long lunches and leaving early.
    Lot of people in high paying positions that don't have the appropriate expertise for the role putting the City at risk and costing tax payers millions.

"Horrible, Disrespectful, boring, work enviornment"

Former Employee - Finance in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Finance in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

work in down town, good benefits.

Cons

Most of the finance department, there are very few people speak or talk in English. Even in the finance meetings English is the last language to speak. Very disrespectful and boring environment. Promotion is merely based on who you know or which group you belong to. Some people are very competent and working really hard but I see some employee sleeping regularly on their jobs. I will not recommend anybody to go in the finance department if you like challenging work environment or like to grow professionally.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote people on merit, based on qualifications, experience and knowledge.

4. "Absolutely Horrible!"

Pros

I thought about this for quite a while and there are really no pro-reasons for this being a good place of employment.

Cons

My experience here was quite horrible in general. I had a very tough time considering that the leadership in Calgary is just not good and I noticed a distinct lack of ability to manage. In addition, I witnessed several instances of severe bullying which I find blatantly unacceptable. Finally, the pay was exceptionally low; definitely not recommended!

"Fire Dept employee"

Current Employee - Administrative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Administrative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Way to break in to the labor market after extended mat leave.

Cons

poor training given to deputies on how to be a manager. Promoted from firefighter to deputy without have sufficient skills, training and experience. Very odd promotion process.

Deputies have no experience in dealing with staff other than firefighters; no business experience; and don't realize that not everyone is secretarial. Deputies are unable to adapt their supervisory skills and are drowning in trying to learn their new job.

Results: deputies frequent outbursts of anger directed towards employees as they struggle to cope. This directly contributes to staff quitting or accepting new positions. Others are expected to pick up the slack with little or no compensation.

Advice to Management

rethink how fire fighters are promoted

"AVOID IT Jobs"

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

I had heard that it was a huge organization and there were many different areas of operations. So, there would be many opportunities for me. I found that this was not true as IT were all centralized into one hive hierarchy overseen by a new director that didn't seem to be in touch.

Clients in the business areas are getting nailed. Expected to delivery more services for less money need and want to get more IT services to achieve this. Not!!

IT is being rationed and the business operational areas are being squeezed. Being left out of key decision making.

Too many dinosaurs

Cons

No support for IT; New director is bad for morale and not able to communicate. Director not able to understand pressures being placed on staff.

No training. No learning opportunities.
    Stagnant, unwilling to change, no communication, outdated, wastes money

Advice to Management

Doing things the same way will always get you the same results.

"High Risk Approach with Caution"

Current Employee - Firefighter in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Firefighter in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Firefighters on the floor are great group of guys and willing to work together to get the job done

Cons

Low pay not on par with other firefighters
    Chief and deputies!!! Make decisions without careful research and facts
    Command and control structure doesn't work
    Chiief and deputies at war with union takes forever to get contracts negotiated and signed. Ends before it is even signed
    Frequent complaints by union against management before provincial labour regulations and they are ruled for the union (mgmt loses)
    Never hear things directly from the chief always heard third and fourth hand. Chief's assistant sends out an email but it is not meaningful and doesn't apply to any of us. Trivial.
    Reputation makes it hard to hire new guys; too many are retiring and there are many vacancies

Advice to Management

I think that if you want to lead people on shift you have to meet with them face to face. And if you want to change the organization and its culture, you must communicate what you want to change to.