City of Chicago, Department of Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 7 reviews

3.1
  1. "home aide"

Former Employee - Home Aide in Chicago, IL

I worked at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

i was a home aide

Cons

work at department human health services

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2012-07-23
  2. "Mtd For Streets and Sanitation"

Current Employee - Pool Motor Truck Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services for more than 2 years

Pros

I'm a driver and this is the easiest work I've ever done in my life. I'm a woman and all you do is pull in, and back down allies all day.

Cons

When you start you're only guaranteed 10 per week. You may get more hrs it depends on the manpower needed.

Advice to Management

I think that the managers should really pay attention to some of the workers. Some of these ppl are really lazy. It's unfair to the ones that work hard.

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2015-06-15
  3. "High Profile and Politically Sensitive"

Former Employee - Deputy Commissioner

I worked at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The work is consistant and interesting. If you build the right relationships and know how to network, one could go far in city government. The benefits are good and, at least executive position, the salary is very appropriate. There is a tremendous opportunity

Cons

There are lot of political relationships. As well Human Resources is a highly sensitive area in city government. Thus and excessive amount of attention must be paid to nuances of verbage/communication, and personal and professional associations.

Advice to Management

-Set key performance indicatators that are appropriate for each -Work harder at building a more collaborative environment. This will help to ensure the each employee is adding the move value possible. -

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2015-03-15
  4. "Overworked and underpaid with no advancement"

I worked at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services

Pros

Interesting people on a changing basis

Cons

Promotions and jobs by who you know not what you know

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2013-05-08
    • "Good, but lack of leadership"

Current Employee - Compliance Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits holidays off paid vacations the ability to work on my own and make presentations to planning officials. working with other department leaders to computerize business license information, assisting business owners with obtaining the required license(s) to operate

Cons

lack of leadership misdirection no planned projects salaries are not reflected based upon education and experience the future of the city, and the plans they had regarding benefits and pay.

Advice to Management

Try to get some type of order and organization.

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2012-10-08
    • "The worst department I have ever worked for in the City of Chicago"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services

Pros

Good benefits, good schedule, good pay and nice co-workers. The location of the building is convenient for me in my travel to work.

Cons

Management is unfair. There is no communication. Decisions are made for employees without their knowledge. There are no opportunities for growth. The people placed in management are incompetant and inexperienced.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate current management, talk to employees about their work and the expectations of the department. Encourage employees to be their best. Provide opportunities for promotion.

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2011-08-26

"Making some new changs due to fresh executive staff. Futureis looking brighter."

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at City of Chicago, Department of Human Services

Pros

benefits, If in the union than very hard to get fired. Set work schedule, help people, rewarding, room for growth.ABility to learn new skills and interact with other city epartments and community groups. Politial connections.

Cons

too many constant changes, lack of organization. Poor mid managment. Powerful HR department. Large case loads for case-managers who do too much trivial work and cannot focus on real client problems.

Advice to Management

Stay connected with other similar agencies nationwie to learn nw methods of service delivery and management and organization. Reduce power of HR department. Provide continueing education and opportunities for mid management to get out of the officea and interact with other departments and professionals.

City of Chicago, Department of Human Services2008-09-11