City of Gainesville, FL Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Staff Assistant"

Pros

They have great employment hours.

Cons

Parking can be somewhat difficult.

2. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at City of Gainesville, FL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The city is growing rapidly and the citizens are really engaged and wanting change. It's great to see. The new initiatives for innovation and people-centeredness will take the city to a better place (we hope)

Cons

Little financial leeway, people are discouraging, poor transparency, trajectories set in stone, poor sense of purpose building, difficult managers, no voice.

There's very little sense of empowerment working with the city. If you have an idea or solution you're tip-toeing around people and keeping it hush-hush for MONTHS before it sees even a sliver of attention or hope. At that point, it's an even steeper battle for funding, attention, human resources.
    Also, the city is woefully understaffed in SO many areas, and every understaffed department is another burden on that department that ripple effects into other areas.

Advice to Management

Be more open to suggestions, use smaller teams to get things done, and trust people's expertise. The number of times I saw the expert on a team get overruled by someone who was more senior but knew nothing about the topic at hand was ridiculous.

3. "Assistant Transit Planner"

I have been working at City of Gainesville, FL part-time

Pros

Due to closing to the University of Florida, it is a great opportunity to meet new cases and people.

Cons

Losing employees growing from the base level.

5. "Bureaucracy and inefficiency"

I worked at City of Gainesville, FL (More than a year)

Pros

Gainesville is a nice quiet city with low crime. Low cost of living.

Cons

The department I worked for was highly inefficient. I felt that they abused me with no raise. After I left they created a new position to cover my old duties and advertised a much higher pay rate for it.

"Pleasant Working Experience with Friendly People"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Gainesville, FL

Pros

Always feel that your efforts are being appreciated. Very dedicated kind people.

Cons

Might not be an ideal place if you are aiming at big money.

7. "Local Government Looking Like Private Sector"

Current Employee - Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at City of Gainesville, FL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many of the professional employees have worked in the private sector, and have brought that private sector mentality to government setting. The City recognizes that it has to compete with private sector for the best employees, so it sets salaries accordingly. The City strongly promotes Diversity & Inclusion. Very engaged in strategic planning. Lots of in-house training opportunities.

Cons

Politics! Politics! Politics! Some of the oldtimers have stayed around too long, and their management styles are based on that fact.

Advice to Management

Trust employees to get it right. This is government, be open with employees and citizens.

8. "If its temporary, tell people that its Temporary!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at City of Gainesville, FL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good, and they treat you well.

Cons

I quit another job to come to the city of Gainesville, only to have my new position eliminated before my probation was up. Something to think about before you quit a job to work for them.

9. "It's been nice to work in a place I can see the impact my job has in a community."

Current Employee - Health Services Coordinator in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Health Services Coordinator in Gainesville, FL

Pros

The benefits with the City of Gainesville are competitive as are the salaries. Working for the City also allows you to become more connected in your community with initiatives started by the City or started by employees affiliated with other community groups.

Cons

The City of Gainesville has a broad range of positions available but there is very little room to grow for persons in the health or medical fields.

10. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Intern in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Gainesville, FL

Pros

Willing to wok with your school schedule. Great learning expeirence for Traffic Engineer. You Actual get to be an engineer and get treated like one, not like an intern.

Cons

no benefits for interns. Additionally no holiday pay. The pay could be a little more but it is the government.

Advice to Management

Consider offering the interns some type of benefits package, and encourage more self growth for the interns. Great place to learn and work.

11. "not a bad first job"

Former Employee - Head Lifguard in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Head Lifguard in Gainesville, FL

Pros

good, flexible hours, lots of time off, all of the people that work around you are fun and excited to be there

Cons

Management is not always respectful of their individual employees, hard work usually goes un noticed in the work place. Less than average facilities

Advice to Management

Pay more attention and give more benefits to those who work hard and put in the time. People in the organization tend to "play favorites" as opposed to applauding those that actually do their work