City of Grand Rapids Reviews | Glassdoor

Rosalynn Bliss

"My work review"

Current Employee - Police Officer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at City of Grand Rapids full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my job
    tuition reimbursment
    good working environment
    training

Cons

keep chipping away at benefits
    not replacing thise that had left thier jobs
    more work

"City of Grand Rapids"

Former Employee - Buyer/Expeditor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Buyer/Expeditor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at City of Grand Rapids (More than 10 years)

Pros

The City has an endless amount of work to be accomplished. Overall, the public it serves is happy for the effort City employees exert in trying to keep services and utilities repaired and improved. Additionally, there is often camaraderie among employees.

Cons

City officials and mid management are political, petty, and quite often not qualified for the positions which they hold. Race and gender often greatly influence who is hired and promoted at all levels. Management also routinely creates dissention with the workforce by intentionally and willfully ignoring and violating labor contracts because the City, in the grievance procedure, is judge, jury, and executioner. There is an incestuous relationship between GRIEU officers and lower and mid-level managers. When union officials perform their duties well, they are typically "promoted" to management in order to weaken the union.

Advice to Management

Management needs to create a more positive work environment by following the labor agreements, promoting based on merit, and recognizing that the needs of the public require quality leadership, not political ambition.

"Mixed, some great, some terrible"

Former Employee - IT&S in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - IT&S in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at City of Grand Rapids full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to make improvements.
    A lof of experience doing various things.
    Many nice people to work with.
    Really nice city
    Benefits are ok

Cons

A lot of opportunity to make improvements = A lot bad systems that need to be fixed.
    A lof of experience doing various things = resource constrained to the max

Union doesn't help, keeps deadbeats around.

The lower salary used to be made up for by exceptional, low cost benefits. That is no longer the case. Benefits are still good, but they cost a lot more.

There is an inverse premium for KSA's. The higher you are, the premium for salary goes into the negatives. When you are a rank and file, the pay is phenomenal for what you do (this does not apply to all jobs, and a fair number of the workers really work hard). Move up, and get screwed in pay.

Advice to Management

You'll never compete with the market by maintaining your compensation model.

Run it like a business or it wil turn into detroit and flint, of course you can keep raising taxes too.

Read High Velocity Edge....

"Great Pay, Great Benefits, Crap environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great pay right off the bat. Fantastic benefits and a contract that is fairly protective of your job once you pass probation. Plus one of the few defined contribution pensions left.

Cons

Rigid hierarchy with a great deal of emphasis given to "seniority". Plus, affirmative action is still an unspoken guiding force in hiring and promotion decisions. Creativity and an open mind are two traits that are firmly crushed when you dare to display them. Lots of working around egos.

Advice to Management

Fire the people who need firing, don't just pawn them off on other departments. Learn to have your managers make "management decisions" instead of making sweeping rules pronouncements that eliminate any managerial discretion.

5. "Awesome"

Pros

Great place people and benefits

Cons

Supervisor aren't the greatest, lots are all school and don't actually know the job

Advice to Management

Hire people or listen to the people who do the work to help jobs go better

"Need More Competitive, Modern Benefits Options"

I have been working at City of Grand Rapids full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues, generally helpful and welcoming. Good work environments, concerned about worker safety and providing resources to help us be more productive

Cons

Medical benefits cost - currently the same cost for a single person as a family under the benefits available. As a single benefit user, I shouldn't be paying as much as a family.

Advice to Management

Restructure the med benefits costs for appropriate and differentiated single user, two-person, single + children, and then family rates. Also, offer more flexibility with transportation benefits. I don't need free parking downtown - I want transit and bicycle benefits instead but it seems like such an effort to get this done. Your workforce is changing, so please provide benefits that matter like transportation options, flex work schedules, telecommuting where possible, etc.

7. "pool filter operator"

Pros

nice people that seemed to care

Cons

early hours but that was expected going in

"Good Opportunities"

Pros

I love government. The City is changing and is on the cusp of some exciting new things.

Cons

Union environment, sometimes bureaucratic, silos.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider new ideas and challenge status quo.

"Time warp or back to the future or it's time to embrace positive change to move the COGR into the next era!"

Pros

I received a pretty decent salary for the position that I held at the company. The various staff in external departments were very appreciative of the work that I did for them.

Cons

The leadership is more like a "good ole boy network". It was very difficult to implement change for the good of the organization. More than often I was forced to "go with the flow" and "not rock the boat" with any new ideas.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring new staff because they are related to your good ole buddy in another department. The same attitudes, thinking and ideas will never change if this continues. The City needs a fresh perspective in alot of departments to move them to the next era. We need better planners to grow our City! We have enough bars and drinking establishments!

10. "Police dept"

I have been working at City of Grand Rapids full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

sense of family , great place to work

Cons

Keep getting nickeled and dined in health care. Keep getting screwed over on pension and paying more toward contributions