City of Hope Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.3
City of Hope President and CEO Robert Stone
Robert Stone
Pros
  • "Good benefits or compensations in the industry(in 25 reviews)

• "great place to learn more about the medical field(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Nice environment to work in"

Former Employee - Central Supply Technician I

I worked at City of Hope full-time

Pros

friendly staff, had a nice experience working there

Cons

none , great experience there!

July 6, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We pride ourselves in creating a welcoming and inclusive company culture. We're happy to hear your experience working at City of Hope was a positive one.

2. "Just Okay"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Assistant

I worked at City of Hope full-time

Pros

Lots of responsibilities, training is excellent

Cons

Some people get away with murder, some are pushed out over trivial/personal matters

3. COVID-19

"GREAT company to be at in the midst of COVID"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair compensation, great benefits package, lots of learning opportunities, and overall great humans who work here. All employees, across the enterprise, really care about our patients and our mission. In the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, City of Hope has been in constant communication with their employees. COH has been quick to adjust to the Work From Home culture, with over half of it's employees working remotely now. COH has taken care of its' employees by increasing some of our benefits opportunities and not having to furlough or layoff. My team has also received some opportunities for additional training and learning opportunities, in addition to having job security in the midst of a crisis.

Cons

Duarte location is not great when trying to recruit people to the organization, but it's bearable. Would be nice to be in a more metropolitan area. Due to this, there are not many food options on or near campus, besides a semi-expensive cafeteria.

June 11, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We truly believe in supporting our employees, especially during a time of crisis. We’re so thankful to have some of the most dedicated and hard-working employees. Thank you for sharing your experience.

4. COVID-19

"A Company that Cares"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic compensation, great benefits package, and an even more amazing organization to work for. They truly support you in everything you do, especially during the COVID crisis. City of Hope has greatly supported all of us throughout this pandemic and consistently keeps us updated with on-going communication. They truly care about their employees and I highly recommend COH for anyone considering a career here.

Cons

Corporate offices are in the middle of nowhere with very little options for lunch and on-campus options are very pricey.

June 8, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We couldn’t agree more about your feedback! We’re so thankful to reward our dedicated and hard-working employees. Thank you for sharing your experience.

5. "Good cause horrible management"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great cause. Great team members and colleagues to work with. Very rewarding working experience. Decent compensation.

Cons

Horrible management. Toxic leadership. Emotional and verbal abuse. Too many “leadership and management”, too little real staff who actually gets the job done. Physicians are not appreciated nor licensed healthcare providers.

June 24, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad you value City of Hope's cause and mission as much as we do. We also appreciate the candid feedback and will share it with the appropriate teams.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Duarte, CA

I worked at City of Hope full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent employer that offers great pay and benefits. Staff are committed and care deeply about the organization's mission. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Working day-to-day to fight a difficult disease such as cancer may not be for everyone. Everyone's contribution matters in the battle to defeat cancer, so consider applying only if you know you are passionate and will commit 100% of your effort to the fight.

June 5, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for the great review! We’re glad you had a positive experience at City of Hope. We’re so glad our benefits were a good fit for you. We know our employees deserve to be taken care of as much as they take care of their patients. Thank you for sharing your experience.

"Fantastic team members, not so great leadership, Top-Down Corporate Style Management from some of the higher-ups"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Duarte, CA

I worked at City of Hope full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice campus, mostly good people, admirable mission,

Cons

Top-Down Management doesn't promote dynamic leaders much, Performance Reviews are rigged (no employee ever gets the top score, no matter how much they outperform others), Consultants do not engage employees, Consultants are rigid and make decisions that affect employees, Performance Evaluations are inaccurate and demoralizing, somewhat high turnover.

June 5, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

We’re honored to hear that our mission has made a lasting impact you. As a growing organization, we know that changes can happen. We take your feedback to heart and will share it with the appropriate teams. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

"Poor Leadership"

I worked at City of Hope full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Environment is great. It’s an aesthetically pleasing campus and lots of great opportunities to explore extra curricular activities.

Cons

Mid level management is poor. Also, HR is not for the employees but for the managers. Be careful of senior management in their attempt to work their own personal agendas.

June 5, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to see you enjoyed City of Hope's work environment and had a positive experience. Our core values include collaboration and integrity, and we are always searching for ways to improve. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Research Fellow

I worked at City of Hope full-time for more than a year

Pros

people are nice, policy is generous

Cons

They should provide higher salary to meet the average expectation within the field

June 5, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for the great review! We’re glad you had a great experience working at City of Hope.

10. "Not what I thought it was going to be like"

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a lot of events

Cons

The commute is horrible, lots of traffic.

June 5, 2020HR, Branding and Digital Specialist

Thank you for the review! We appreciate our team members taking the time to provide valuable feedback and we take it to heart. We are always looking for ways to improve our employees’ experience.

Found 409 reviews