City of Hope "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

City of Hope Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 25, 2019

3.4
City of Hope CEO Robert Stone
Robert Stone
Pros
  • "Good benefits or compensations in the industry(in 24 reviews)

• "great place to learn more about the medical field(in 17 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"RN"

BSN RN in Duarte, CA

I have been working at City of Hope for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair patient ratios; advancement opportunities; culture of extreme charity and love towards patients and coworkers; your skills and heart will grow; lots of education opportunities

Cons

retirement and benefit plan not great; some areas are frequently understaffed; upper management not easily accessible to front line nurses

City of Hope2016-06-27
  2. "Feedback from a former employee"

Former Employee - Campaign Assistant in Duarte, CA

I worked at City of Hope full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, I’ve met nice people & staff

Cons

I think an employee has to rub elbows with the upper management in order to get ahead

Advice to Management

Be fair to everybody regardless of their job rank

City of Hope2019-11-26

"Changing Culture - for the worse"

Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The hospital provides amazing patient care. The doctors are attentive and caring!

Cons

Firstly, I have been an employee for more than 10 years. For the first 7+ years, I absolutely loved my job. The work was fast paced, on the cutting edge of new therapies, and my PIs were constantly expanding my role as I grew. They pushed for growth, without being overbearing. They were in the lab every day, providing support and training, but then stepped back once you were deemed competent. They provided an... amazing culture that still allowed for work life balance. And, apparently, they protected us employees from the changing culture that was happening in the upper levels of management. When they retired, our lab duties shifted to accommodate their losses, which was fine initially. However, the buffer was lost and we were tossed head first into a cesspool of politics, favoritism, non-compliance and hostility. We were floored by the responses we received when reporting compliance breaches and conflicts of interest. We have been labeled as "problems" and "impeding other PIs research" when we question the safety and/or ethics. Other employees have reached out with concern due to the gossip that is being spread around campus about us. And HR, Compliance and other regulatory entities have no teeth to enforce regulations. They simply concede to the upper management and PI's wishes. They keep hiring "Directors" and "Managers" without any experience in the fields they are meant to direct, or employees left to report to them. It has become a dysfunctional mess of egos, with little care for those that perform the actual work on a daily basis. 2 years ago, I would have recommended this place to anyone looking for work. I know people who have received amazing care as patients and I loved being a part of that. Now, I would not send my worst enemy here. I am still trying to make changes from the inside because I have so many years invested and believe in the importance of the work that I do. However, I have little hope that my voice will hold water as it is being drowned out by others in upper management.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are competent. Hire fewer managers and more employees. Listen to your employees. Stop the gossip and backstabbing, and clean out the swamp. This institution is starting to seem as bad as Washington DC!

City of Hope2019-04-01

"The Miracle of Science with NO SOUL"

Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- small group of miracles trying to follow City of Hope's mission statement

Cons

- the remaining larger group who have lost their way on what it means to be a human being - toxic work environment - prevalent gossips and character assassination taking place on campus (feels like high school drama) - management has no clue nor is willing to learn the work load put upon workers - workers not rewarded based on their contributions but on their loyalties to upper management - hiring of staff... that is not competent do perform the task that is described in their job description - constant non-compliance cases that are swept under the rug - regulatory committees have no backbone to enforce to rules mandated by state and federal

Advice to Management

Take the time to understand the complexities of individual's job. Upper management cannot assume that they understand the workload if they are not willing to listen to those who is doing the actual work. A common comment in the reviews posted is the hostile work environment at City of Hope. This needs to be address and actions need to be taken to improve or else City of Hope will keep losing good workers. Don't... waste time on pointless committee meetings that have no solutions. Samuel H. Golter’s quote “There is no profit in curing the body if, in the process, we destroy the soul” needs to be upheld or we are just doing the world an injustice. You cannot promote that City of Hope is “The Miracle of Science with Soul” if you have lost your soul in doing what is right for the world.

City of Hope2019-04-10

"Clinical Research"

Current Employee - CRC in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at City of Hope full-time for more than a year

Pros

Doctors and regular staff are great, very helpful and respectful group.

Cons

Management is terrible, this place is a revolving door for employees everyone fears upper management as it runs like a dictatorship.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff as they are the ones on the frontline. Senior management should not be meddling in minute staff issues leave it to tge managers.

City of Hope2018-04-14

"Trumped up Trickle down System"

I have been working at City of Hope

Pros

Meaningful work, helping people in need, nice campus

Cons

Institution is extremely top heavy, with upper management heading in the wrong direction.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the basket of deplorables you call the executive team. You have managed to turn a nice friendly campus into an environment where regular employees are devalued. Also, try to keep up with the current market on salaries. A 2% raise each year that barely keeps up with inflation is not much of a "merit" increase.

City of Hope2016-10-07

"Coordinator"

I worked at City of Hope full-time

Pros

Gaining oncology experience, developing a wide skill set, free parking.

Cons

The working conditions are bad, 1 person will have the work load of 2-3 people, your work load is always increasing but your pay will not, no promotions/raises other then a few cents. There is a lot dissension going on internally and in upper management, it's not a well structured environment, the role of the coordinator keeps growing/they keep asking you to do more things in the same amount of time/for the same pay.... Turn over is VERY high and very few people are actually left that know how to do things and have the capability to train. The systems they use are really old and no body likes them but they project to make a switch to something more effective sometime in the next 5 years.. Training ranges from non-existent to ineffective/just for documentation purposes.

City of Hope2016-07-07

"Needs Major Work Internally"

I have been working at City of Hope for more than a year

Pros

Mission to Cure Cancer Research & Science is world-renown

Cons

Toxic Environment Mgmt & HR continue to hire and place people in jobs that they are not trained for suited for Cut-throat internal culture where you are not encouraged to grow and add value to your work Upper management does not support employees

City of Hope2016-06-22

"Development Assistant"

Former Employee - Development Assistant in Duarte, CA

I worked at City of Hope full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a great sense of community created in fighting against cancer and finding a cure.

Cons

Upper management is absolutely abusive to many of their supportive staff.

Advice to Management

You should perform an exorcism on one or two of your VP's.

City of Hope2016-07-20

"Only if you have no other options"

Business Services in Irwindale, CA

I worked at City of Hope for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits and six holidays.

Cons

On a slippery slope. People used to care – about the mission and each other and now it is all about the money….in the paychecks of the executives. The CEO has assembled a group of senior executives who are imperious, self-serving and the absolute antithesis of the message put out to the public - that of compassion and caring. And their salaries are astronomical. Lots of titles, but no real leaders. No... speaking truth to power, for sure. If you’re looking for any guidance or development, forget it. There is no training, no education, no possibility of growth – not that there’s anyone capable of mentoring. It’s so top-heavy with upper management whose tangible contributions are non-existent. And the working staff, whose numbers are thinning quickly as resignations continue to escalate, have seen nothing but title demotions, bonus plans stripped away and 1-2% annual increases. The company has unconscionably relocated the non-medical staff to Irwindale, in the middle of nowhere, forcing everyone into a car and a cube. It’s a dismal, distracting and depressing environment – cold and remote And face-time is much more important than the actual work. Despite the outlier location, there is no telecommuting policy. If they can’t see you, you must not be working – the general tone is that employees are children who are not to be trusted. No one is able to genuinely articulate a vision, or inspire the workforce. The CEO, and others with titles, can read words written for them when called upon to speak, but there is nothing behind them. Lots of talk from HR about ‘engagement’, which is laughable. It is toxic, demeaning, and punitive.

Advice to Management

Show a little trust in people.

City of Hope2015-08-19