City of Houston Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Sylvester Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor leadership, insufficient staffing, low pay (in 9 reviews)

• Politics can make it hard to move up the ladder (in 5 reviews)

"library customer service clerk"

Former Employee - Library Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Library Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at City of Houston part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great hours, flexible people, working the library is a piece of cake, if you passed 12th grade and a have a level head your there, 4 hours a day, weekends are 8 hours on Saturday, no bennies, but a steady pay check, yes you can join the workers union.

Cons

WOW, older staff member's bring their kids in to fill the gaps for city services, the loyalty to higher up, people who are bouncing around to get their notch and move on, not cool, senior people thinking they can punk out new part timers and full timers, when the new workers receive an evaluation is set at the highest marks, senior people refusing to retire and or help pull their load, a lot of racism from senior clerks, because new people have a degree and they don't, they fear that the new staff moving ahead and becoming their boss,and it is happening, also lot of mismanagement and favoritism, too bad HR has went corporate, now you cant get your family members in to work with you, bottom line.....what are we high school again....if your older and senior and your reading this, let face it, you cant reach the bottom shelf, your blinding following rules that are set to upper management look good, a monkey can organize books .....learn your tech stuff, and over all take your 700 days of vacation ....n fade away.....have a good one

Advice to Management

quit playing favoritism and don't climb the ladders especially if you don't qualify.....don't put senior members, that you hang out with on your off time in charge, at one time they were managers but no longer just a worker bee, I see no respect in that, thank god there more newbies coming in.....

2. "Inpsector"

Pros

It is a good place for job security and no advancement

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees

Advice to Management

Need to encourage people to make it a better place

3. "Coh is NOT a good place to work!!"

I have been working at City of Houston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best way to get promoted in the city is to screw things up where you're at. People will want you out of there so bad, they'll hand you a DAD position...or any other high paying position that you are in no way qualified to fill

Cons

Constant micro management. No opportunities to advance. The amount of time HR takes to " review " an application, which is a few months, just to tell you that you aren't qualified, when the job requirements state you have 90 days to get a certain certificate AFTER you get hired. Not being able to use sick time that you acquired because of a "64 he rule" that makes no sense. Its my time, I earned it, should be able to use it as I please. Being severely under paid, and being made to do things that are out of your pay grade, without opportunity to advance in your field.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people, telling them one thing and turning right around to do the opposite

4. "City of Houston Health Department"

I have been working at City of Houston full-time

Pros

Fairly secure job and opportunity to help City residents

Cons

Poor organizational culture and lack of support from leadership

5. "CSC"

Former Employee - CSC in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CSC in Houston, TX

I worked at City of Houston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few pros to working in the health and human services department. Hopefully you get a decent team to work with, however that's very unlikely

Cons

Poor leadership, upper management constantly covers for poor performing supervisors. Also, employee reviews are biased and show preferential treatment. Vertical mobility and raises are non existent.

Advice to Management

Take an honest assessment of regional managers.

6. "Unfair treatment"

I worked at City of Houston full-time

Pros

The only pro was the consistent work hours.

Cons

1. Supervisor negative attitude.
    2. Hostile work environment.
    3. Favoritism

Advice to Management

Supervisor needs anger management classes.
    I had a life changing event and when I told my supervisor he discriminated against me. When I finally reported him to upper management, he changed a bit. I wish I would've had proof of discrimination to report him to the director and council members.

7. "A joke"

Pros

Pension if you can make it.

Cons

A joke. Opposite of meritocracy.

8. "Municipal Court Clerk"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Pay is okay. Could be better.

Cons

Every single thing about this job is absolute trash. The supervisors here carry themselves with zero integrity, zero professionalism and try to intimidate their staff by acting extremely patronizing, threatening and condescending towards them. Supervisors here are the most hypocrtical creatures I've ever come across. Will bark orders to not use internet for personal reasons but will be online shopping or on Facebook constantly. Or they will make subtle remarks about a small detail on your dress code while wearing flip flops in a "professional setting". Everything about the way their processes and procedures work are unorganized and disordered. Judges and other supervisors feel because of their title and seniority that they are allowed to talk to you any kind of way and you are supposed to take it. Honestly, this is the most corrupt, immoral, and UNETHICAL place I have EVER worked and would not recommend my worst enemy to apply here UNLESS you are trying to get your foot in the door with the City, law, or criminal justice. DO NOT APPLY! KEEP LOOKING! YOU WILL REGRET IT

Advice to Management

Sweep them all out and start over fresh. If you are going to bark orders to your employees at least stop being hypocrites and set a good example by following them yourselves.

9. "Safety Representative"

Former Employee - Construction Safety Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Safety Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at City of Houston full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work when there is not lay offs

Cons

Below average salary, but a good place to start right after college
    No chance of promotion unless you know someone

"Janitor"

Former Employee - Janitor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Janitor in Houston, TX

I worked at City of Houston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benifits and fulltime pay Not much else out side of this. Vaction time as well was pertty good.

Cons

Managers harass employees often and can be very ignorant when it comes to the knowledge of the job description

Advice to Management

Hire more managers that care about the safety of their workers and who are mentally stable enough to be tolerant of other beliefs in religion or heritage.