City of Kent - Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 8, 2016

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Public Works Environmental Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Environmental Engineering Intern in Kent, WA
    Current Intern - Environmental Engineering Intern in Kent, WA

I have been working at City of Kent - Washington as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

In Public Works, the people are very friendly and genuinely care about your well-being. This is true for the Environmental Engineering department as well. As an intern, they know that you're there to learn first and foremost about the industry from a municipal perspective, and that getting work out of you is secondary. The responsibilities vary, but when I was full time (part time now because school), I supported all the engineers (~7 of them regularly) with all of their projects. Casual work environment in the office, and when the weather is nice, it isn't too bad to go out in the field. There are a couple committees that plan office wide events during the day and will bring in food/snacks/refreshment every so often (every other week), and there is a dinner group that goes out once a month to promote work/life balance. Also, several people play sports such as basketball and frisbee on a consistent basis during lunch.

Cons

The way the internship was set up for me is that it gets me a lot of exposure to projects, but since I support a handful of people, my responsibilities aren't that huge. They are smaller tasks and sometimes menial and boring, but understanding that in government work that attention to detail is required sometimes justifies my work. A lot of bureaucracy is involved, but I don't really get the sense that people are necessarily working against each other. Additionally, a full-time offer to follow is currently not the format of the internship; rather, they will offer you a year-long internship before a full-time offer comes, if at all. No benefits at all for interns, which is either city code or state law, but is outside the control of the management, although interns are paid above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for interns to practice public speaking. Giving some kind of presentation to department leads is something I was hoping I would do, since it would prepare interns for anything they would have to do in the future.

2. "Oust the Mayor."

Former Employee - Accounting in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Kent, WA

I worked at City of Kent - Washington (More than 10 years)

Pros

I see that the Mayor and her Directors begging at Olympia doorsteps for more money.

Cons

I am not sure how she even became the Mayor, who does not have an integrity and cant keep her word instead imposed Business and Occupation Tax. City representative in Olympia could have gotten City of Kent in Federal food stamp rather imposing taxes on businesses, more taxes.

Advice to Management

This is about the Mayor, I advise City of Kent citizens not to re-elect her again, and the Council should re-question her abilities as a Mayor.

3. "Could be better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Pros

Good Coworkers, nice place to work

Cons

Management needs to take a good look at direction the City is moving in.

5. "Freelancer"

Pros

I worked with a great group of people for 3/4 of the year. They knew that I was coming in with limited experience but they liked my style and work so they taught me plenty and got me comfortable within my role. It didn't take long for me to feel like a part of the team. I always felt like I could go to anyone with questions. And by the end of my time there, I felt like I had gone through a school that had taught me so much.

Cons

It's government so finances and bureaucracy meant that my freelancing was week-to-week and it ended before the team really wanted because they ran out of resources.

6. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at City of Kent - Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Future-focused leadership and a caring, family-like culture and work environment

Cons

Salary compared to the private sector

7. "Intern"

Pros

Good Environment for interns to learn.

Cons

Low Intern Wage and not enough hours.

8. "Great recreation department!"

I worked at City of Kent - Washington part-time

Pros

The people, good benefits (for local government work), just a well-run city in general, lots of variety, work feels fulfilling

Cons

Pay and benefits are better in the private sector, occasional bureaucracy and red tape to deal with, certain facilities could use upgrades.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; I enjoyed my time working for the city and would return in a heartbeat if I could

9. "Great place"

Pros

The place has great people to work with

Cons

The city does a great job

10. "incompetent at its best!"

Current Employee - I Am the IT Director
    Current Employee - I Am the IT Director

I have been working at City of Kent - Washington full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a very few talented IT people; health benefits.

Cons

a lot of ignorant, untalented people; the Mayor's lack of leadership brings unwanted and untalented Directors, especially the IT Director.

Advice to Management

an audit on IT Director's influencing the hiring of known unskilled friends into IT Department, spending City's budget in purchasing faulty infrastructure from friends.

11. "Disappointing at best!"

I have been working at City of Kent - Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great retirement. Public sector has the reward of being able to impact the community in a positive way.

Cons

Many incompetent managers. Upper management is very disconnected with the average worker. HR doesn't like to promote from within, would rather recruit. Lost the personal connection with employees.

Advice to Management

Connect with your employees. become engaged. Empower employees to make decisions. Follow through with what you start #BeMore

Train your managers to be managers. Don't just hire and forget. Give them the tools and knowledge to become better managers.