City of Las Cruces Reviews | Glassdoor

Ken Miyagishima

1. "Youth monitor and"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

I have been working at City of Las Cruces full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really flexible with hours, great management

Cons

At times you are asked to attend a mandatory meeting at inconvenient times of the day

Advice to Management

None

2. "It's more about the City's policies than what we do"

I have been working at City of Las Cruces full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the compensation and benefits are not bad, especially for the region. There is opportunity to shape your job somewhat and good collaboration across the City departments. People often stay at the City for a long time.

Cons

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. Inflexibility, inflexibility, inflexibility. It's all about policy and procedure, which trumps goals and visions and efficiency and productivity every time. Want to propose a new program? Great: here's 87 forms to fill out that no one will read, except to reject it over formatting.

Advice to Management

Make some space for innovation. There are lots of great, committed people who are looking for new positions because of the onerous burden of procedural red tape. You have such great resources! Let them shine.

"Great but Strings Attached"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at City of Las Cruces full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company offers great benefits and good salaries with opportunities for longevity pay. The biggest plus is local government experience and community contribution.

Cons

This government is a bit of a good ole boy system with only those who have made connections rising to the top. Typically getting an interview is difficult unless you know someone or are willing to start at the very bottom.

Advice to Management

Play favoritism less and focus on encouraging your employees instead of automatically brining them down. It is hard to be a team player when the team never gets the credit, only management.

5. "Administrator"

Former Employee - Administrator
    Former Employee - Administrator

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, training opportunities, salary

Cons

Some upper level managers do not adhere to policies

Advice to Management

Adhere to policies

6. "City of Las Cruces"

Pros

Regular work force are great people.

Cons

No advancement, office politics, city politics, lack of vision, management not functional.

Advice to Management

No amount of advice would help.

7. "Normal local government employer"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at City of Las Cruces (More than 8 years)

Pros

Administration tries to connect with staff. Salaries commensurate with area;

Cons

Inefficiency is rampant, and there are no repercussions for poor performing employees.

8. "I worked at Roadrunner Transit for over a year and it was most unpleasant."

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at City of Las Cruces full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people working and you can enjoy working with them. The benefits are good and for this area the pay is decent, you are able to help people that need transportation.

Cons

As said before they take political correctness to a level that is unbelievable. The person in charge has a degree in Anthropology, how does that qualify them to be a supervisor or management over anything? You cannot have a sense of humor because if you joke with anyone a "mystery rider" will turn you in to management as being uncooperative and confrontational. You cannot tease or joke with any of the employees because you will get written up and a major complaint put in your file, it can even get you fired. Other employees can turn in a complaint about you threatening them physically or mentally when the opposite is true, even when you can prove that they lied and they are being vindictive because they don't like you. Some employees are able to break the rules then get away with it others cannot even think of breaking a rule. Then when you need help with everything they refuse to even talk to you or ignore your pleas. Their supposed eeoc department and human relations group could care less about the employees. They will do their best to get rid of what they consider undesirables just before their probation period is up.

Advice to Management

get off your rear ends, listen to the employees and actually do something for said employees rather than trying to protect your little place in the hierarchy. Treat the employees as something more than a place filler.

9. "No Opportunity. Unethical Management."

I have been working at City of Las Cruces part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are pleasant to work with. Very little overtime is required. Duties are not too difficult.

Cons

There is not employee development. Management does not care about employees. Hostile workplace. Wrongful terminations common.

"Bottom of the Barrel at a Small Government"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at City of Las Cruces part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other lifeguards were really nice. The job itself is very easy.

Cons

Almost everyone I met was incompetent at what they were supposed to be doing. They took people who had good skills in one department and shoved them into a department where they were a fish out of water. I worked as a lifeguard and people were taking their jobs way to seriously. It started as a good job for a college student and turned into a terrible job for a college student because no one could make a schedule that didn't overlap with classes.

Advice to Management

Notice where people's skills would be helpful.

11. "Sufficent yet Underwhelming Workload and Experience"

Current Employee - Associate Planner in Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Associate Planner in Las Cruces, NM

Pros

There is plenty to keep one busy if one wishes to pursue it. The experience gained in my profession at this position is solid and beneficial. I work on projects at a higher level than my pay grade. The facilities with which I work in are condusive to a healthy work environment.

Cons

For an outsider to gain an understanding of the City's operation one must dig; the middle management does not devulge much information on the day-to-day operations within the city. The city often requires me to work on things that are outside my pay grade with little or no training to complete my mission. This is a benefit as well as a "con" but I felt like I should mention it. I enjoy the challenge, other may not. Wages in my field are far lower than my counterparts in other parts of the southwest.