City of Longmont, Colorado Reviews | Glassdoor

City of Longmont, Colorado Reviews

Updated Jan 10, 2018

4.1
  1. "Great place to work."

I have been working at City of Longmont, Colorado full-time

Pros

Good benefits and friendly working environment.

Cons

Rules and regulations that must be followed due to working in the government space.

City of Longmont, Colorado2016-01-26
  2. "City of Longmont"

I worked at City of Longmont, Colorado full-time

Pros

Passionate team of employees who care about helping the community and are committed to being involved with the local public via volunteering or community outreach programs.

Cons

Fast growth can cause hardship to keep staff fully trained and qualified for given duties. Various departments tend to have divisions and competition with other departments throughout.

Advice to Management

Help create a united overall group mentality that works well together and fosters a spirit of inclusion and team work with all departments.

City of Longmont, Colorado2018-01-11
  3. "Public Works"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at City of Longmont, Colorado full-time for more than a year

Pros

Never a dull moment in certain positions here. Opportunity to learn a lot and very quickly. Great benefits besides vacation time. Ability to work in field and office and are never micro managed by bosses.

Cons

Intense work load, very high expectations, vacation time is minimal, sometimes very stressful environment depending on season. Residents of Longmont can be a nightmare to deal with.

Advice to Management

For the most part, everyone in management is pretty solid. It does feel like accomplishments go unnoticed while mistakes are often ridiculed.

City of Longmont, Colorado2016-06-03

"Good place to work"

I have been working at City of Longmont, Colorado

Pros

Great management, okay pay, no civil service, ability to be creative, a progressive community. Spent alot of money on training. Great retirement system

Cons

Hard to promote, office politics can be a problem, but really not a bad place. Glad I worked there and learned alot.

City of Longmont, Colorado2015-05-29
  5. "Great Culture, amazing mix of blue and white collar work"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at City of Longmont, Colorado full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to work on really diverse projects and the people are really driven to provide the best service to the citizens of Longmont.

Cons

Being a government job, it's easy to get pulled into the culture of just sitting around making money. My supervisor cut the fat when he saw it but of course some gets by. It just felt guilty if I went to work and I sat back.

Advice to Management

Ensure that workers have projects to work on at all times otherwise they may take a backseat.

City of Longmont, Colorado2015-05-04
  6. "Work for City has been the best job I've ever had, so I continue to stay."

Current Employee - Shared Services in Longmont, CO

I have been working at City of Longmont, Colorado full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Constantly learning something new, working to help others in our community, you see how you contribute to make things better. Also there is potential to move up depending upon career path. If you're hard working, and dedicated you will find that you'll be treated fairly and supported. City has great long term benefits and pension when you work full time. Great coworkers and opportunities for professional development.

Cons

Perks continues to improve over the years, but may not be equal to what is available to private sector. We're governed by a lot of laws. Some people can find themselves being managed by someone with poor leadership skills. Work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Have an open door and learn to listen and trust your employees. Don't become part of the problem, become part of the solution. Don't be the person that resists change.

City of Longmont, Colorado2015-02-11
  7. "Friendly and casual place to work."

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Longmont, CO

I have been working at City of Longmont, Colorado part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customer contact, great co workers

Cons

Part time work, no more than 20 hrs per week:(

Advice to Management

Take care of the loyal employees.

City of Longmont, Colorado2014-09-02
  8. "Typical government work...so watch your back!!!"

Former Employee - Administration

I worked at City of Longmont, Colorado full-time for less than a year

Pros

A few friendly and fun 'unique' personalities. Hard to find any job with benefits such as retirement, dental, medical, etc. any more but this is one place that provides them.

Cons

Chaotic and uniquely specific work environments exist in some departments to the point of running around aimlessly because of the lack of direction, training and leadership. "Don't trust anyone," is what people that have stood the test of time there tell me. High stress jobs exist here and usually for low pay. Just be careful what you apply for and understand the job before going in. They'll cut you in a heart beat... so keep your head down. Make the right contacts and even then you'll still need a lot of help. Realize that this is government work which can also be monotonous at times while remaining stressful. Especially those jobs that deal with the public.

Advice to Management

Allow your people to grow, be heard and add value to your organization. Be aware of your good people who may be held back due to constraints including inadequate resources or training. Be willing to groom an employee to their full potential, only then will you have built a team that you'll want to keep. There is a lot of undermining and tattle telling here that gradually weakens office dynamics and teamwork putting... people in a negative light. Become more intimately aware of what is really happening in the department that you lead.

City of Longmont, Colorado2014-08-20

"Lopsided culture oriented to incestuous elite managers"

Current Employee - Mid Manager in Longmont, CO

Pros

quality of life in community

Cons

nonappreciative and closed minded management

Advice to Management

complete clean out of executives needed

City of Longmont, Colorado2013-04-06