City of Lubbock, TX Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glen Robertson

1. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lubbock, TX

I worked at City of Lubbock, TX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is better than some utility companies in big cities. The pension plan is excellent. Plenty opportunities to grow you knowledge in Electrical engineering. Excellent work/Life balance

Cons

Low pace company probably because it is managed by the city

Advice to Management

Adopt the private company style management

2. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Library Computer Specialist in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Library Computer Specialist in Lubbock, TX

Pros

Very relaxed environment with people that are flexible with your work schedule. Additionally, the health and retirement benefits are the best that you can find.

Cons

Lack of advancement in the position, sometimes difficult to achieve goals due to funding.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have is to begin things way earlier than you normally would due to the lengthy democratic process.

3. "My Lubbock Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at City of Lubbock, TX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have mostly been happy here. Pretty good insurance.

Cons

Generally, the pay is terrible and the bad employees get the same pay as the good ones. Good ol' boy system is alive and well.

Advice to Management

Courtesy goes a long way. It is possible for you to say hello to the minions.

5. "City of Lubbock Temporary Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Pros

Good, stable job. The city of Lubbock gives a chance at becoming a full time hire. Encourages to strive for betterment of the organization.

Cons

Not very many things to say bad about working for the City of Lubbock. The compensation could be a little better, but not too bad.

6. "Benefits!"

Former Employee - Storm Water Plan Analyst in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Storm Water Plan Analyst in Lubbock, TX

I worked at City of Lubbock, TX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Healthcare Benefits. Amazing Retirement. Friendly people.

Cons

I was overqualified for the job I was doing and there was no room for growth in my field, environmental.

Advice to Management

Overall fairly decent. Could have handled confrontation a little bit better when it came to disgruntled employees or customers.

7. "Easy part time job"

Former Employee - Docent in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Docent in Lubbock, TX

I worked at City of Lubbock, TX part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff. Flexible. Great for college students.

Cons

Doesn't really allow for creative thinking.

Advice to Management

When people have creative ways of doing things, it means they are interested. You can foster that interest and develop their skills for future positions and better your company at the same time. Mentorship is beneficial for everyone.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Mediator in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Mediator in Lubbock, TX

I worked at City of Lubbock, TX part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly people to work with, good hours and benefits, low cost of living in the area, great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are some areas of employment where Lubbock is not as technically advanced as some other parts of the country.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; most managers are very considerate of their employees and try to make sure they have the tools to do their required job..

9. "Friendly people, challanging oportunities, but the weather..."

Current Employee - Public Works Engineer - Water Utilities in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Public Works Engineer - Water Utilities in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at City of Lubbock, TX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

West Texas friendly folks. Great restaurants. Light traffic. Texas Tech Univeristy - sports, people, fun.

Cons

Lacking in outdoor recreational opportunities. The wind storms. It gets cold but without the snow. Dry. Idiot drivers.

Advice to Management

Work hard and when you want something, go get it.

10. "No promotion, little incentive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Pros

The TRMS is great, if you work long enough to retire. Work is not stressful.

Cons

Salary is low, raises, are low or non-existent. (5% total in 8 years of working for the city. Last raise was 2%. No merit raises in 8 years). The city revised the base salary for my position 2 years after I began working here and raised the base salary. I now make less than 1% above the minimum salary - although I was hired at 10% above the base salary -- for my job. Every new employee has come in making far more than I make, even those with far less experience. The City should have equalized this long ago. I have employees who work for me that make $5 an hour more than I do. Most of my staff make $.50 less an hour than I do.

Advice to Management

Do something to help morale. We need raises! We need salary inequalities to be fixed!

"Don't rock the boat!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lubbock, TX

Pros

With the upper management's emphasis on maintaining the status quo, there isn't much pressure to do a lot of innovation. Work hours are 8-5 M-F for professional staff, and there is no expectation of working any other hours.

The compensation package is about average for a government agency - that is, less than what you'd get at a private firm, but with decent insurance and benefits.

Cons

As mentioned above, the upper management emphatically does NOT want any new ideas brought to the table. You will advance if you keep your head down and just show up every day. The city manager and her inner circle of chosen advisors will let you know when they've decided what your technical decisions need to be.

As an engineer, the most infuriating characteristic that the city management displayed was that they would ask you to do some technical analysis of some problem or another, then completely ignore your recommendation and do what they had intended to do all along. Lord help you if a site developer happens to be acquainted with the mayor, because he's going to get his way on site development issues, regardless of the technical merit of his solutions.

You will get promoted if you keep your head down and just show up. Some of the engineering department managers have risen to the top not by virtue of demonstrating that they can provide innovative or efficient solutions to problems, but by just showing up to work every day for 15 years. Some of them don't even have professional engineering licenses, but they are given the authority to direct and overrule licensed professional engineers who have fewer years of service with the city.

Lest you think that you might be able to effect a change in these policies, disabuse yourself of that notion. You can call and email to your heart's content, and if you're lucky you might get a short note in response thanking you for your honesty. Although I wouldn't recommend it, because it won't change anything, and you'll be added to the list of potential troublemakers. Spend a couple of hours of your own time drafting a thoughtful one page memo to any of the upper management staff and you'll be ignored, or possibly mocked a few months later when s(he) mentions to you in passing that you are never going to get a response to your "lengthy complaint."

Engineers are never allowed to communicate directly to the citizens they are supposedly serving. All inquiries from concerned citizens must be filtered through the public information office where they can be properly whitewashed to avoid any implication of impropriety. I was shocked to discover that other cities in Texas actually encourage their engineers to discuss issues with their citizenry - in Lubbock, that is grounds for termination.

Advice to Management

Stop tolerating the political indulgences that the mayor and council grant themselves. Realize that you have an excellent source of talent in the heart of Lubbock - Texas Tech University. The City of Lubbock is seen by Tech grads as a place for the 2.0 GPA students to work - those with real talent will take flight and land a more desirable job somewhere else.

Start listening to your technical staff and stop doing favors for the mayor's buddies. The engineers who are just trying to do what is in the best interest of the overall citizenship cannot do their jobs without support from above.

Stop giving more credence to seniority than to talent when it comes to promotions.