City of Richmond Virginia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Dwight C. Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Career advancement and always being exposed to new challenges and situations from day to day (in 2 reviews)

• There are no pros that I have experienced (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises, no promotions - pay scale is OK - nothing to brag about nor much to actually live on (in 4 reviews)

• If not, they are often driven out for disagreeing with upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Police Officer"

Current Employee - Police Officer
    Current Employee - Police Officer

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime! Always presented with new challenges! Hard to get bored

Cons

Leadership isn’t great! Constantly understaffed!

Advice to Management

Hire based on leaders ability to be innovative! While being great with people

2. "Computer Server Engineer"

Current Employee - Computer Server Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Server Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Utility Engineer ... Know a little about everything. Currently UNIX support engineer.

Cons

Most of my Computer Systems experience has been on the IBM mainframe.

Advice to Management

I am an extremely loyal and dedicated employee. I have been with the City of Richmond for over 21 years.

3. "trash truck driver"

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia part-time

Pros

work hours freedom to move around the city to see everything thats going on. having no one looking over your shoulder, having two other guys to work with.

Cons

pay, constant bulling of the supervisor, helping other to complete their routes after
    you have completed your, and micro managing .

Advice to Management

stand behind you employees, and more you stand behind your employees the better the relationships would be.

"Program Analyst"

I worked at City of Richmond Virginia full-time

Pros

Associates committed and hard working

Cons

Top heavy administration (typical government); parking

5. "Employment Satisfaction"

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time

Pros

Making Good changes in structure if work.

Cons

Culture of making decisions is slow.

Advice to Management

Better compensation based on performance.

"Not Worth the Time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly adequate pension; easy work.

Cons

Extremely toxic, dysfunctional political environment. No raises, no promotions - pay scale is OK - nothing to brag about nor much to actually live on. "Do not pass Go"....in other words, there is no appreciation nor moral. Promotion of favorites plays a BIG role....

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings - not disposable objects. After all, we're the "front liners" who make you "look" good....

"Toxic environment"

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time

Pros

Centrally located, comprehensive benefits package including pension

Cons

terrible lack of internal control systems, pay is low, morale is even lower

8. "In depth review"

Current Employee - Communications Officer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Communications Officer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Almost unlimited overtime and you get to help those in need. You never have a dull day...as of the current set up, you're lucky if you get "group A" who is a family-like team. You get every other 3 day weekend off.

Cons

I am a current employee who is in no way disgruntled; I merely want to give an insight on how horrible The Department of Emergency Communications is ran on this site to get someone's attention since no one inside the building will listen. The director will walk past you and not speak...even if he looks you in your eyes. He formulates opinions about employees that he has never taken the time to get to know. The management under him acts as if they are a bit intimidated by him. I understand that most people would not be 100% or basically suck up to their boss, but please be aware that in order to make things better, it's okay to challenge his ideas.

As for the management below him, they are more of the circus operators who run the rigged games. If you are not a another member of supervision or management, they really don't want to hear what you have to say or truly care about the real issues that plague this place. The regular supervisors....it's sad to see them so powerless, but yet they have to deal with important issues first hand.

Issues faced: As much as unlimited overtime sounds good, it's not the be-all-to-end-all. At some point we need days off. We work 12.5hr shifts as it is. When it comes to overtime, it is not done fairly sometimes: if they're overstaffed one has to hope to be friends with the supervisors if you need the hours or the other way around if you want to go home. Overtime is done voluntarily 2 months ahead of time and involuntarily about 4 weeks ahead. Even if you are good enough to plan ahead that far in life, they give you overtime anyways and it's up to you to find someone else to work for you.

The work environment could be so much better....we take 911 calls for goodness sake-when we do try to keep each other uplifted and make each other laugh....we get shut down as if we are in kiddie prison. It's just horrible to treat people this way. This probably explains why over half the staff is on medication for various reasons. If we get a better work environment, maybe employees won't keep having strokes, heart issues, and panic attacks. Did I mention the bug issue....(scratch scratch)

It's hard to get days off outside of your regular vacation and you're only allowed to technically call out sick.

You also get nails in your tire because of our location.

Base pay should be higher for the nature of what we do.

Kudos to whoever else feels like this place is full of nothing but "crabs in the barrel". You are so right.

Advice to Management

Stop the work place Bullying! its hard to get good candidates to work here as it is, so one would think you would do everything to retain your people. Instead, its like you don't care. Listen to your employees, make changes, and be open to new ideas. I wish the Mayor would do random pop ups and find away to have employees provide feedback anonymously. Most people won't tell what it's really like for fear of retaliation. So many people have been burned on these so called anonymous professionalism surveys because management just compare the handwriting. Smart and not so smart at the same time.

"Interpreter / Translator"

Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Richmond, VA

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pace of work is very convenient. The amount of sick and vacation time earned is good.

Cons

Miserable salary. Absurd policies to not let employees to have more than 15 % salary increase when moving positions within the organization.

Advice to Management

Have to think more about employees and our well-being. Should fight for employees to help them strive and succeed.

10. "customer service rep"

I have been working at City of Richmond Virginia full-time

Pros

a Great place to work.

Cons

micromanaged by management in most areas.

Advice to Management

less micromanagement in all departments,