City of San Diego Reviews | Glassdoor

City of San Diego Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer
Kevin L. Faulconer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • New employees have no retirement package (in 4 reviews)

• Huge turnover now that there is no pension or social security (in 4 reviews)

1. "Development services"

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time

Pros

It is great. No cons

Cons

There is no cons there.

2. "No Social Security or Pension"

Former Employee - Secretary in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Secretary in San Diego, CA

I worked at City of San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No social security or pension for working here.

Cons

Seriously. If you spend your career here, you will not get social security credits and will have no social security benefits when you retire. A lot of new hires don't realize this and only find out after they are hired. The city still talks about the "great benefits" that it offers but its a lie. You will get a 401k and over priced medical plans - that is it. At most jobs you earn credits towards social security and you pay into it. The city opted out and offered a pension instead, but they took that away from new hires in 2009. Please be aware before you accept a job here. I have seen several people quit within a few weeks of being hired. Ask a work environment its okay. Seems like a lot of dirty politics going on with management.

Advice to Management

Offer social security or a pension like every other employer in this country.

3. "Worked here for ten years"

Former Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA

I worked at City of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started out as a promising career. Soon after being hired I got a notice that I was a party in a reverse class action. Basically the mayor sued us to take away our benefits. I stayed ten years to at least get vested since there is no social security credits for the years you work here. I learned enough to move on to better things.

Cons

Government is slow to change and that is good but the city is actually regressing instead of making progress. The institute new programs then burden them down with excessive controls and paper pushing. There is a lot of scapegoating so there is no reason to volunteer to help anyone. You might be chosen to take the fall. Cons- low pay and bad benefits. Our office had bed bugs off and on for three years. Unless you are in a position of power you are no one. Employees are blamed for everything. Recently there was a budget shortfall because we are "living too long" and it affects the pension system. Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that they bought that building with the bed bugs and are now renovating it, or the myriad other fiscally unsound things going on around here. Earlier this year the council was talking about spending fifty thousand dollars to search for a new police chief while our police force is underpaid. We are a huge city and we have not trained a single local police to step up? I apologize for going on a rant. So many issues here. They will wear away at you until you can think of nothing other than escaping. Luckily for new folks there is no pension so you can leave at any time. There is nothing to hold ayone here any longer.

Advice to Management

Promote from within based on merit. Do something about the morale issue. This place is overrun with frustraion and seething hatred.

4. "Public Information Clerk"

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time

Pros

There are good benefits and retirement

Cons

It is hard to move up

5. "Police Officer"

Current Employee - Police Officer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Police Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training for a lateral move to other agency.

Cons

Low wages. City spends millions "studying" issues instead of fixing them. Bro culture. Undereducated and unqualified staff hired by friends in high places and family members. Employees blamed for management problems.

Advice to Management

Morale is so low it doesn't exist. End nepotism.

6. "Used to be great"

Current Employee - Management Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to have good pay and bennies. There are some great people though most are retiring.

Cons

Pay hasnt kept pace with other agencies. Too much bureaucracy. Huge turnover now that there is no pension or social security. A lot of understaffing so you do more than one persons work. The challenge is fun but wears on you over time. No reward for extra work. No raises.

Advice to Management

Some appreciation for employees needs to happen.

7. "Time to Move On"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady pay but not a secure job anymore. The work is great but the tools you need to do the job are often lacking.

Cons

Financial mismanagement all around you. Sometimes we can't afford office supplies but managers are spending funds on unnecessary things. Not many opportunities for advancement. Pay is not great. People on this site are saying benefits are great but not for anyone hired after 2009. They get nothing - no social security or pension or any of the other perks older employees get. I have never had a raise. I am moving to another local agency with better pay.

Advice to Management

I am not sure where to start. So many different issues going on. Smart people are fleeing this place like its on fire.

8. "No future here"

Current Employee - Paralegal in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in San Diego, CA

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and office was nice.

Cons

Pay is too low. I left for a much higher paying job. Benefits system is very confusing. No pension or Social security. No raises even if you get a good review.

Advice to Management

Management should be more motivational given all the negativity but they are not.

9. "Analyst"

I have been working at City of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of full time positions although new hires dont get a pension or social security credits while working at the city.

Cons

Raises and promotions completely based on nepotism. Poor management. City Council spends millions "studying" issues instead of using that money to fix them. Eleven years without a raise despite outstanding performance reviews. Low pay and terrible benefits compared to private sector, which I am returning to.

Advice to Management

The average employee works their rear off for no annual raise, while we see "supervisors" waltzing in and out of departments, with special positions created just for them where they earn huge salaries for a year or two. Since benefits were taken from new hires in 2009 THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANY PERSON TO WORK FOR THE CITY OF SAN DIEGO.

10. "Recreation Specialist"

I worked at City of San Diego full-time

Pros

Great colleagues and work environment.

Cons

Little staff benefits. Not a lot of opportunity for growth or mentorship.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on grooming employees of the future -- development is important for young employees.