City of San José Reviews | Glassdoor

City of San José Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (excluding Budget Office) (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of vacation, holidays and good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unsure since I don't have a full time position (in 3 reviews)

• Long hours, flaky employees, everyone takes long lunches and leaves early (in 3 reviews)

1. "Library Job"

Current Employee - Library Page in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Library Page in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible when it comes to scheduling. A great job for a college student.

Cons

Limit to few hours a week, making hard to accumulate cash.

Advice to Management

Instead of limiting hours given to staff have fewer staff with more hours.

"Negative work environment"

Current Employee - Public Safety Radio Dispatcher (911 Dispatcher) in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work as a PSRD (public safety radio dispatcher) for the City of San Jose Fire Department. I get paid to not take health insurance, dental insurance ( I am covered through my wifes work). I have no fear of ever getting laid off seeing as though we are constantly understaffed.

Cons

Negative work environement. There is a big disconnect between outer office management and actual control room workers. We have to wear a uniform even though we are never seen by the public. You get crappy shifts if you are new... no weekends off for the unforseeable future. Work holidays (open 24 hrs/day, 365 days/year). It is a highly stressfull job, there is no room for failure. Every call you take is recorded and scored for compliance. You work in a room with 5 or 6 other people which sit and complain about how crappy the job is and how much they hate it, which rubs off on you after a while. City pension reform and budget cuts has decreased my salary and my retirement money.

Advice to Management

Ask the control room workers what could be done to make the job better and boost moral. Plan in advance, you can see the staffing numbers and know when people are retiring, plan accordingly.

3. "Up until the last couple of years, it was not a bad place to work. Now it is all about low pay and no opportunity."

Current Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would say good work/life balance. There used to be opportunities for tfraining and advancement but the organization has been so decimated by retirements and attrition, there is no reason to stay.

Cons

The administration is cutting pay and benefits driving staff away. The morale has dropped like a rock with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

Change your ways or you will destroy what was an excellent organization.

5. "I'm in for the long haul - much to my chagrin some days."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at City of San José full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Efforts are made to give all staff training and professional development opportunities. San Jose is a great city.

Cons

Currently the climate is against public employees. My pay has been cut by effectively 15%, my benefits are being stripped.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating to the press and the public the value of the work being done.

6. "Commitment to serving the Community is Key"

Current Employee - Associate Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Specialist in San Jose, CA

Pros

The City offers employees good Job Stability, potential Growth Opportunities, with well defined responsabilities, in a postivie work environment with stable job hours and salary.

Cons

pay cuts in recent years including increases to pension, health and retirement.

7. "One the DOWNWARD slope...."

Former Employee - Police Sergeant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Police Sergeant in San Jose, CA

Pros

They had a great retirement plan & health benefits.

Cons

The politicians are reneging on their commitments to the retirees who gave their bodies, souls, family life & marriages to the People of San Jose.

Advice to Management

Stand by your man.
    Do what you promise.
    Do what is right, even when it's politically wrong!

"Yet another 10% taken from me to waste on buracates idiotic ideals"

Current Employee - Plant Mechanic in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Plant Mechanic in San Jose, CA

Pros

Get training for new job

Cons

Have never been treated so bad by any employeer in my life. Seems every problem that the city has can be fixed if i give up some thing. Can't afford to stay with this job any more and can not wait to start new job

Advice to Management

Look at the top because there is the problem.
    It is not the blue collar workers that cause the problems it the city management style of spend first spend second and then wonder were is the money

9. "Bait and Switch...."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Jose, CA

Pros

Although things are changing quickly, one of the best reasons to work at the City is the benefits package (health, dental, etc)... Another benefit is the people. I've built some wonderful relationships with several people at the City.

Cons

The performance review process is very subjective from one supervisor to the other. I've been with the City for just a few years and my staff haven't had reviews for more than 5 years. After completing my review of them, I was asked to change it because it was too harsh and didn't reflect their past evaluations. Also, the City is years behind changing it's retirement system and now it's trying to change the system on the back of its employees, rather than biting the bullet and doing away with the pension and moving to a public sector 401k or IRA.

Advice to Management

Remember what's important. Good, hard working employees are more important that trying to satisfy the whims of the political mass of the City. This year it's pension, next year it will be something new. When you lose all the good employees, the City will fall apart.

10. "Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Employees are highly educated. Great experience with a variety of work assignments. Benefits and pay were great once.

Cons

Compensation and benefits used to balance out heavy workload. But now with budget cuts there is only extremely heavy workload. Compensation and benefits are being cut and management shows no appreciation for the employees.

Advice to Management

Please show more appreciation towards your employees. We love this city and we love serving the citizens of san jose. But it is difficult to work in an environment where employees are blamed for a problem that was really created by the decisionmakers.

11. "Tough but Satisfying"

Former Employee - Job Placement Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Job Placement Specialist in San Jose, CA

Pros

- Great team, good coworkers - tough boss - but we were always clear as to what was excepted from us.

Cons

- Upper level management was all to fond of completely keeping all employees out of the loop. Things too often were done in secrecy. Changes were often made hastily and with out much forth sight.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what they think - they have a good handle on how things are operated.