City of San Rafael Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Recreation Specialist"

I worked at City of San Rafael part-time

Pros

Good leadership at school sites.

Cons

Some schools are definitely treated better than others. The people that you work with makes a big difference.

Advice to Management

Increasing salary rates to stay competitive with local school districts.

2. "Preschool Teacher"

Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in San Rafael, CA

I worked at City of San Rafael full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice/hard working co-teachers, excellent materials, and some growth opportunities

Cons

Lack of involved upper management, lack of cohesive curriculum and communication lacks between employees and director.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees needs

3. "Illegal Hiring Practices/Horrible Morale"

I have been working at City of San Rafael full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've met some really great people (most are not in management). Fair pay, strong unions, great benefits.

Cons

Management, the mayor, and City Council are seriously out of touch with the employees. There is a big problem with morale and a sense of not being known, supported, and recognized for your hard work. Hiring practices are downright illegal. Some directors don't even know what your job duties entail.

Advice to Management

A complete renovation of upper management, (most) department directors, and the processes used for promotions and other hiring practices is absolutely necessary. Employees have little trust in management and HR; the City needs to really work on changing that. They could be looking at more lawsuits if the City Attorney and HR don't stick to labor laws.

4. "Don't Work for CSR (if you can avoid it)"

Former Employee - Clerk in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in San Rafael, CA

I worked at City of San Rafael full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I could think of.

Cons

The salaries are not that competitive when it comes to non-managerial employees. The higher-ups are the ones that are really raking in the dough, e.g. Fire Chief is being paid over $180+K (not including the home loan the City gave him to buy a house in SR and the fact that he had already retired from LA as a Fire Chief there - in other words, a double-dipper), the City Manager is getting paid $250K, etc. This does not include their Firemen who make good salaries, especially if they work OT. For most part, the nitty-gritty work is usually passed down to the rank-and-file. The directors and managers are getting the credit and pay for the work done by employees. I do not think the directors and managers deserve making these exorbitant pay.

This is not the only gripe I have about CSR. A good percentage of the employee population is Caucasian. I noticed that their newly hires were white and young. You would see a token Asian or Black in the rank-and-file level group. Other than that, they're all white.

Have you seen the members of the SR City Council? They are all white. Not even a token Asian or Black. Even the Mayor is white.

On my Ratings, if I could, I would have given it a negative zero. Unfortunately, that's not how the ratings are set up in this case.

Advice to Management

Diversify your employee population. Hire more non-white and older applicants!

5. "Lifeguard"

Pros

good pay, good training, fun people to work with

Cons

management was sometimes incompetent and communication between management and lifeguards was poor

6. "Lifeguard"

I worked at City of San Rafael part-time

Pros

Good atmosphere and work environment
    The supervisor of the Terra Linda Community Center was amazing!

Cons

Pool managers were not very efficient with scheduling

7. "Contractor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at City of San Rafael (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for some contractors with the right skils. Mostly nice people there with a few serious exceptions. Easy work as long as you're not expecting to make a difference in government.

Cons

It's everything you expect of government. Complacency is rampant. Management doesn't manage, instead, they just have meetings to talk about what didn't get done since the last meeting. Spending is rampant and wasteful as often nothing needs to be justified beyond the department manager asking for money for something. There is no sense of urgency to fix anything. Many workers are hard working, but a good percentage of them would be out of a job if it were a competitive private enterprise.

Advice to Management

The government in general, not just the City of San Rafael, needs a major overhaul. Many of the rules and regulations stifling progress came from the State and Feds. It would be a failing business if it were not for a never ending stream of taxpayer money.

8. "Good city"

I have been working at City of San Rafael (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with and I find my job interesting and challenging. The comp could always be better, but it's fair given the expectations for the position.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

9. "Fun work, great camaraderie"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at City of San Rafael part-time

Pros

Usually fun work, nice manager, great team camaraderie, decent pay, occasional creative projects, responsibility given. Some of the most talented and smartest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Not enough hours budgeted to work, can be stressful at times, chaotic work schedule and hours, bureaucratic management (but it is local government.)

"Great job"

Former Employee - Parts Driver in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Parts Driver in Roseville, CA

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

Early morning hours can be brutal at times.