City of Scottsdale Reviews | Glassdoor

Jim Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Two years later"

I worked at City of Scottsdale part-time

Pros

Can really be treated as family with the City of Scottsdale and there's always room to learn more when it comes to events, staff training and after school programs.

Cons

Not really a chance to move up in positions within the city.

2. "Incredible Staff!"

Current Employee - Head Lifeguard in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Head Lifeguard in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at City of Scottsdale part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to work with
    Awesome teamwork skills
    Great place to learn initiative and be challenged in leadership
    Work alongside your peers

Cons

Gossip in the guard room

3. "Administrative Secretary"

Former Employee - Administrative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at City of Scottsdale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable and success oriented work environment across all sectors and departments throughout the city's network. Enjoyed meeting and collaborating with like minded individuals.

Cons

Politics of individual departments needs to be reigned in and truly monitored as well as administered by Human Resources division. HR needs to truly be the representative to the employee and not be governed by department leaders.

Advice to Management

Step up be leaders and mentors, not puppets to heads of certain departments.

"Too small a department to list the title. Since my job is in a small field it may come back to me."

I worked at City of Scottsdale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The facility I worked at was brand new and state of the art

Cons

Micro managing to a level I've never seen before in other cities.

A sick leave policy that is illegal and violates AZ state law.

I've witnessed Management staff conduct themselves very unethically and in one circumstance do something that would without a doubt get this individual fired if the City manager found out.

Supervisor and management would frequently say derogatory things about women.

Despite bidding for your schedule, it would change so much with little or even no notice that you couldn't plan for anything outside of work based on your assigned schedule. (E.G. my schedule changed on my weekend once changing the start time for my "Monday" and I wouldn't have known about it unless I checked my email from home which we're NOT supposed to do.)

The department Supervisor intentionally tried to turn employees against each other by saying things like "why is 'Johnny' so upset with you?" Then you talk to 'Johnny' about it and they have no idea what you're talking about. He would also say negative things about other employees that he was supposed to be supervising. When you would go to talk to your colleagues he was saying negative things about they would then inform you that he was saying negative things about you too! Unbelievable...

I was asked to do jobs/tasks that I didn't have the right equipment or training for and felt in danger on more than one occasion.

A general negative attitude that seems to be pervasive in the entire (small) department I worked in from years of being saturated in a negative environment. It was so bad that when I observed clear violations of rules and regs that we were supposed to enforce, my more senior colleagues just said to ignore it because ultimately you taking action would either be reversed or questioned by Management every time.

Advice to Management

You're department supervisor is the root of 90% of your problems. I'm sure the high turnover and excessively negative morale has surely made you stop and ask why at some point, right?

"Good job security, but that’s about it"

I have been working at City of Scottsdale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job security for the most part. Communicative supervisors. Lots of kind people from all ends of the spectrum. Good perks like free yoga, cheaper gym membership, gift card raffles for attending workshops etc.

Cons

Bosses high up are so far removed from the work that you do, and they are the ones who approve your reviews which lead to your possibility of a raise. Decent pay but not great. Health insurance benefits are nowhere near where people think they are.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to rate your employees, be more aware of what they do. Have less of a “be thankful you have this job attitude.

6. "Recreational Leader II"

I have been working at City of Scottsdale part-time

Pros

Love the people I work worth and experience I have received. Annual review with percentage of pay raise if you go above and beyond your work requirements.

Cons

Hard to advance. You really have to become "buddy buddy" with upper management and make yourself known to MANY people throughout many different sectors to be recognized for your hard work.

7. "Detective"

I have been working at City of Scottsdale full-time

Pros

Great benefits and positive work environment. The residents of the city really support their local government and are active participants.

Cons

Slow to respond to employee input.

Advice to Management

Listen to critiques from the employees.

8. "Used to be a top employer"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at City of Scottsdale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

City was the employer of choice 20 years ago...good staff members who work well together.

Cons

Lack of pay raises for the past 8 of 10 years due to City Council that refuses to marginally increae pay of staff has led to a brain drain over the past 5-6 years! No COLA or merit increases!

Advice to Management

You need to institute COLA for staffed who are "topped out" or they will leave you for other companies and cities that provide this benefit!

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at City of Scottsdale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Place to work and grow.

Cons

The city can pay more money.

10. "Very good emmployer"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at City of Scottsdale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Broad range of professional expertise and available staff and an open door for communication. Good benefits and retirement program.

Cons

Bureaucracy slows things down and often frustrates citizens when they are expecting quick action on the city's part.

Advice to Management

Reward good employees and weed out others