City of Seattle Administrative Specialist II Reviews | Glassdoor

City of Seattle Administrative Specialist II Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

4.0
City of Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan (no image)
Jenny Durkan
0 Rating

"Great place for diversity and a secure future"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for the City of Seattle can provide you with a very good salary and a good retirement if you can manage to bypass the frequent budget cuts. I found that there is a great mix of people from so many backgrounds and often, very friendly office environments. And if you have the right manager, you will be able to work on projects outside your title and class and may be moved along for promotions.

Cons

You really need a manager you are in sync with to move upward in the City. If you don't have this, it can be difficult to move ahead or out of a specific title.

Advice to Management

Think outside of the box and cross train employees so that they have more opportunities to move ahead.

City of Seattle2014-04-15
  2. "Great"

Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

Stablility on the job and benefits

Cons

Making advancements in your career takes a while.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key for everything

City of Seattle2012-02-14

"I got lucky, but will you?"

Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

I got lucky because I have a couple of great managers in my corner and I got the opportunity to work on a project that is beyond the scope of work I was hired to do and it has given me a lot of chances to grow and learn professionally. My manager touts a work life balance and is really easy to get along with, is a straighttalker and down to earth. You can always come to the mgr with issues, problems, etc and mgr will help, even if it means get her own hands a little dirty with hard work. Other: benefits are great, business casual dress to the point of super-casual, once you're hired and pass your year probation you are pretty much in for good (excepting layoffs).

Cons

The executives I've met are mostly condescending and rude. There are a lot of people out to scratch eachothers backs, ladder climb, etc...and on the flip side there are the long timers who just don't care anymore. They've seen so much leadership come and go that they are just numb to ambition and they just want their part to be as effortless as possible.

Advice to Management

Huge disconnect between what is the workload and what management thinks can happen with a stringbean staff and not enough training.

City of Seattle2009-12-06