City of Seattle Administrative Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

City of Seattle Administrative Specialist Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2019

1.9
City of Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan (no image)
Jenny Durkan
1 Rating
  1. "Great Employer - Wonderful People"

Former Contractor - Administrative Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle for more than a year

Pros

Great Pay, lots of opportunities. Friendly helpful co-workers.

Cons

Like all of government - subject to economic flux.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

City of Seattle2013-01-17

"Horrible office politics"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked as an administrative specialist at the Seattle City Attorney's Office. I have few pros other than somewhat competitive pay and predictable hours. There are all sorts of good programs that the city offers for their employees, but you have to take the initiative and ask to be part of them.

Cons

Absolutely horrific office politics - mean girls and boys galore. The attorneys for the most part are helpful and enjoyable to be around, but many of the other admins and paralegals are terrible to be around. Upper level management listens to concerns about the toxic work environment, but don't do anything to implement change. Way too many indentured government workers who should have been fired 10 years ago. Very minimal training, almost no room for any creativity or sharing of new ideas. Technology used is extremely outdated, including a massive file room with thousands hard copy files that has to be organized daily. Almost nothing stored electronically.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they come to you about toxic people and behaviors in the workplace. Rampant gossip and bullying should not be tolerated by management.

City of Seattle2019-07-26
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist I

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary, medical benefits, and above average time off. Great coworkers.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

City of Seattle2017-04-19

"Finance and administrative services - WORST"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. I honestly can't think of one within the FAS regulatory dept. Worst job experience ever. Nothing in the interview was true.

Cons

Favoritism and fake people. Tried to hold positions over my head to get me to stay. Entire FAS regulatory dept is horrendous with unskilled and unknowledgeable people. You can only advance if you've been there 20-30 years. They also advance people just because they have big mouths because they don't want to discipline them.

Advice to Management

Replace entire regulatory dept.

City of Seattle2016-09-21

"Great place for diversity and a secure future"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I worked at City of Seattle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for the City of Seattle can provide you with a very good salary and a good retirement if you can manage to bypass the frequent budget cuts. I found that there is a great mix of people from so many backgrounds and often, very friendly office environments. And if you have the right manager, you will be able to work on projects outside your title and class and may be moved along for promotions.

Cons

You really need a manager you are in sync with to move upward in the City. If you don't have this, it can be difficult to move ahead or out of a specific title.

Advice to Management

Think outside of the box and cross train employees so that they have more opportunities to move ahead.

City of Seattle2014-04-15
  6. "Great"

Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

Stablility on the job and benefits

Cons

Making advancements in your career takes a while.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key for everything

City of Seattle2012-02-14

"A place to hang your hat"

Administrative Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits; conveniently located in Downtown Seattle, and in a high rise building with great view of lakes and mountains.

Cons

Stagnation and lack of promotions; no job prospects; lack of camraderie between coworkers, one-upmanship. Top level doesn't mix with bottom level, cliquish and lazy workforce.

Advice to Management

Get off your pedestal and treat subordinates like peers not like servants to your needs. Under new Mayor, McGinn?? Will see, but cannot say "you haven't seen nothing yet" in a positive way.

City of Seattle2010-08-22

"I got lucky, but will you?"

Administrative Specialist II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

I got lucky because I have a couple of great managers in my corner and I got the opportunity to work on a project that is beyond the scope of work I was hired to do and it has given me a lot of chances to grow and learn professionally. My manager touts a work life balance and is really easy to get along with, is a straighttalker and down to earth. You can always come to the mgr with issues, problems, etc and mgr will help, even if it means get her own hands a little dirty with hard work. Other: benefits are great, business casual dress to the point of super-casual, once you're hired and pass your year probation you are pretty much in for good (excepting layoffs).

Cons

The executives I've met are mostly condescending and rude. There are a lot of people out to scratch eachothers backs, ladder climb, etc...and on the flip side there are the long timers who just don't care anymore. They've seen so much leadership come and go that they are just numb to ambition and they just want their part to be as effortless as possible.

Advice to Management

Huge disconnect between what is the workload and what management thinks can happen with a stringbean staff and not enough training.

City of Seattle2009-12-06

"Its a snake pit"

Administrative Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at City of Seattle

Pros

nice health benefits and a few perks. lots of job security ( even for the ones who need to go) transit passes are deeply discounted

Cons

horrible place to work and anytime the pay increases, my union dues also increase. Can never get ahead due to management never hiring from within.

Advice to Management

I think thay my advice to management would be to stop trying to run city government like a private business.

City of Seattle2009-09-08