CityGrid Media Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No Pros at all !

Cons

Management was just focused on income. Very Greedy... The product brought absolutely no ROI for the clients. New CEO ruined what was left in the company so the company doesn't even count anymore in the online or mobile landscape. All CityGrid Media reviews on Yelp are 1 star reviews... There is not one single review out of the 54 on Yelp for Citygrid from their clients that is more than 1 star. Very poor product, management and people... The greed and "smoke & mirror" clicks ruined and took under the whole company.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn "people skills"

2. "The Black Hole"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagel Friday, Ping Pong, Basketball court, co workers

Cons

CFO was not straight forward, CEO Jason Finger was put into a tough task of laying people off. He acquired Felix and although it seemed good, it was only a ploy.

Advice to Management

Dont layoff your entire company

"Company on decline. Run away!"

Former Employee - Product Director in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Product Director in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time

Pros

No accountability, so you can coast without doing any real work or show any real results.
    Great work/life balance - most of the company shows up around 9:30, leaves by 4:30 or 5. (after a nice long lunch)
    Casual dress code

Cons

Executive Management is incompetent and LIES to employees.
    Company is not profitable.
    Products don't work.
    Same people are promoted year after year.
    No cost of living raises.
    Layoffs every 6 months to a year.
    All of the products are dying, including the owned-and-operated sites.
    HR lies to potential candidates to get them to accept the job and get in the door.

Advice to Management

Clean slate. Get rid of exec and middle management, and start from scratch.
    Learn to have accountability, and get rid of employees who don't perform. There are plenty.
    Have realistic short term goals.
    Pay people better.

"Run Away!!!!! Unless you enjoy working in a boiler room selling a poor product then this place is perfect for you!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great location but no real parking, ping pong and bagels and doritos and cheetos, some great co-workers who also got duped into working for a horrible company.

Cons

I really wish I had read Glassdoor before accepting this job, this is the most dishonest company i have ever worked at, you are basically tricking small business owners. i am a top performer and have done well at my job, i actually care about work so why should i feel bad > because it is a fake product you are selling!! turnover is unreal, revolving door because either workers can not make an unrealistic quota generated by cold-calling or because people realize it is selling a lie. I have never seen so many miserable people working at a company!

Advice to Management

start by setting realistic goals and selling a product that would be more comparable to yelp and google. stop running a huge churn and burn of both your customers and your employees!

"Should have considered reviews on this site much more seriously"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, bagles on friday

Cons

There is no proper on-boarding process. The product managers are absolutely brainless and arrogant. They want to add every imaginable feature to the product, the product should be "infinitely" flexible and all of this should happen in the minimum possible time. Same applies to the senior management. During the interview process, they create a completely different, ideal picture of the company, reality is completely different.

As a software engineer, I was told about an entirely different job profile but in my 1 year with them, I did not work on even a single technology/product which I was told. The team was always bullied by the seniors. As a new comer, your word has no value at all.

Most of the employees who are there for 3-4 years, each one of them I spoke with is waiting for their Green Card. That's the only thing holding them back. I suffered in this company for a whole year and by far, joining this company was my worst decision.

All of these things are mentioned in the previous reviews and even read those before joining. But I did not believed those. I wish I had.

Advice to Management

Try to value your employees

"Decent product, horrible management"

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, bagles on friday

Cons

Management is not good. They set unrealistic goals which are almost never met. They assume that you will work from home after office (each day!) and even on weekends. This will basically destroy your personal/social life.

The product managers don't know anything about technical stuff, the problems which developers face, etc. They keep changing/adding requirements the way they want. People who are from Yahoo, who have spent 3-4 years (actually "survived" 3-4 years in this company) are only considered, others are just to blame the missed deadlines. No matter how hard you work, there is not even a single word of appreciation.

Regarding the product, it is decent, but nothing more than that. Google, Foursquare, Zaggat, Yelp have already captured the market.

Advice to Management

Set some practical goal, and appreciate your employees.

7. "Awfull uninspiring place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. I met some really great people.

Cons

I have worked in my industry for close to 7 years and by far this has been the worse experience I've had at any company Ive worked at. Don't expect any on-boarding. Arrogant and out of touch leadership, I feel bad for the employees that I constantly hear feeling trapped working here just to be able to earn a living. I've actually had my manager speak out against me with a room full of my colleagues. If you want to feel ostracized and humiliated, this might be the place for you.

Advice to Management

The company is only as good as its foundation. Your foundation are your employees. Listen to them and make sure your managers have people skills and the right leadership skills for the job.

"THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

Pros

There were a few good folks to work with there.

Cons

I want to say a couple things up front in the spirit of full disclosure and frankness:

1. I HATE this place - it was far and away and in *every* way the most insulting, demoralizing work experience I've ever had.

2. That said, do your due diligence - it's possible that things can change, or that there are pockets within the company that somehow provide a decent work environment. Although I will say that is hard to imagine.

Here's the list:

1. Chaotic work environment/Non-existent or incompetent/arrogant/uninterested direct management.

Explanation: For my first 4 months on the job I had NO direct manager. In month 5 they "temporarily" made a VP the team manager. This person quickly decided that with his state-of-the-art mastery of 90s web technology he should actually function as the team tech lead instead. Far from actually managing us his singular interest was in defending his throne as tech-god and czar. He made this abundantly clear by utterly displacing the real team lead (who was a very competent and up-to-date technologist) forcing the entire (JAVA) team to write Perl scripts (since that was the only thing he (almost) knew how to do) and often screaming (I'm not kidding) YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND to any team member who debated him on anything, especially his crappy, misplaced Perl code.

Annual reviews came up about 5 months into my tenure. We'd had to fill out a questionnaire in preparation for the interview - questions you'd expect like how you felt about how things were going at work, what would you change, what were your personal goals, etc. In the interview, instead of engaging me with any questions of that sort, he instead scanned my (considered) responses for a full 3 seconds and blurts out "Well all this says is that you're new. You're new." He then, unlike the printed questionnaire, fails to ask me even a single question and instead proceeds to talk about things from his point of view for 5-10 minutes. The truth is this is exactly how I expected the "review" to go and I already was headed full speed for the door so I didn't bother taking the initiative to unilaterally communicated anything that any normal manager would have asked me in a review.

2. Arrogant and out of touch leadership.

3. Favoritism, promotion of incompetent personnel while the talented get passed over for raises and promotions.

4. Uncanny numbers of utterly incompetent personnel who constantly pressure the competent to form a human bridge that spans the endless gulf between their duties and their ernormously limited capabilities.

5. Merciless Lowballers.

6. No one in management taking action on ANY of these fundamental problems.

I realize I might come off as someone who is disgruntled but doesn't really have the right to be etc etc. We all know the kind. I assure you I am not. I have worked in the industry for 12 years and have many fond memories of many good years - at other companies.

Final note/smoking gun - within a month after my leaving CityGrid had lost SO MANY tech employees to a mass exodus/stampede for the exits that they not only stopped low-balling on job offers but they offered many who were still there huge retention bonuses AND huge signing bonuses for referrals. Learning of this the rest of us just collectively shook our heads and muttered "wow..."

Advice to Management

You have a lucrative market cornered and *should* make a killing. The irony though is that the arrogance you subject your employees to is SO intense that it is blinding you to the obvious realities of your company and your business - and as a result might just sink you too. Hopefully you won't have to pay such a high price just to learn a lesson in decency and equality. I'm not sure where you think you are on the globe or what century your calendar reads, but this is the USA, century 21.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

-Decent base salary
    -Parking pass which
    -Office location

Cons

-Managment is awful
    -They treat employees as they can be let go at any point regardless of performance
    -Commission and quotas are un realistic
    -They changed their name because of the bad repuation of Citysearch but the company still operates the same way.
    -Awful work enviroment
    -High turnover
    -Wouldn't suggest this company to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

-Start over
    -There wasn't even a manager present for 2 months that I was there. There is no direction and coaching from managment.
    -Very cheesy/car salesman approach to sales

10. "Senior Account Executive"

Pros

Good Pay, Nice office, Friendly Staff.

Cons

No communication between departments. The executives have their own personal agendas that didn't correspond with building a healthy business, only lead to padding their own pockets.

Advice to Management

n/a