CityGrid Media Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "So so"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time

Pros

Competitive package
    Work life balance
    Latest technologies used

Cons

Longterm instability
    Internal conflicts
    Frequent layoff and related employee turnover

Advice to Management

Make a long term plan and stick to it.

2. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No Pros at all !

Cons

Management was just focused on income. Very Greedy... The product brought absolutely no ROI for the clients. New CEO ruined what was left in the company so the company doesn't even count anymore in the online or mobile landscape. All CityGrid Media reviews on Yelp are 1 star reviews... There is not one single review out of the 54 on Yelp for Citygrid from their clients that is more than 1 star. Very poor product, management and people... The greed and "smoke & mirror" clicks ruined and took under the whole company.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn "people skills"

3. "its about to shutdown"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

bagel on Friday, good pay

Cons

Worst top tech management. No vision, No planning. only they do micro managing and firing people. So far, they fired 220+ people in just last 8 months. They got good experience on that.
    400 capacity building not required for 40 people. They are going to merge to ask.com and move to SF.

Advice to Management

Nothing

4. "Not so great work environment"

Former Employee - Software Automation Engineer in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Software Automation Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the good engineers who are willing to share their knowledge
    Competitive salary
    Hands on managers
    Bagels on Fridays (I can't believe I have to include that in Pros.... well, have no choice...am out of options )

Cons

Not at all fun place to work
    Boring domain
    Top tier management is worst I have ever seen (specially after non sense lay offs)
    Worst traffic (office location is far from any freeway in LA)
    Parking allocated to employees is anything but convenient

Advice to Management

Laying off employees is sometimes necessary; but picking up arbitrary people like it's some kind of lottery is highly unprofessional
    Innovate
    Respect your Engineers and treat them well. That's the only way this company can stand the competition

5. "ok types"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

new technologies keeps u on the edge of your seat but then u have to earn a lot also by yourslef

Cons

rapidly changing environment where management might change directions as they are lookin to grow company from bottom up once again

"Good Experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CityGrid Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented Engineers managed by smart managers.
    Good company to work for if you're starting out fresh from college.

Cons

Very little transparency within the company.
    Traffic to get to work. Busy neighborhood.

"Should have considered reviews on this site much more seriously"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, bagles on friday

Cons

There is no proper on-boarding process. The product managers are absolutely brainless and arrogant. They want to add every imaginable feature to the product, the product should be "infinitely" flexible and all of this should happen in the minimum possible time. Same applies to the senior management. During the interview process, they create a completely different, ideal picture of the company, reality is completely different.

As a software engineer, I was told about an entirely different job profile but in my 1 year with them, I did not work on even a single technology/product which I was told. The team was always bullied by the seniors. As a new comer, your word has no value at all.

Most of the employees who are there for 3-4 years, each one of them I spoke with is waiting for their Green Card. That's the only thing holding them back. I suffered in this company for a whole year and by far, joining this company was my worst decision.

All of these things are mentioned in the previous reviews and even read those before joining. But I did not believed those. I wish I had.

Advice to Management

Try to value your employees

"Decent product, horrible management"

I worked at CityGrid Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, bagles on friday

Cons

Management is not good. They set unrealistic goals which are almost never met. They assume that you will work from home after office (each day!) and even on weekends. This will basically destroy your personal/social life.

The product managers don't know anything about technical stuff, the problems which developers face, etc. They keep changing/adding requirements the way they want. People who are from Yahoo, who have spent 3-4 years (actually "survived" 3-4 years in this company) are only considered, others are just to blame the missed deadlines. No matter how hard you work, there is not even a single word of appreciation.

Regarding the product, it is decent, but nothing more than that. Google, Foursquare, Zaggat, Yelp have already captured the market.

Advice to Management

Set some practical goal, and appreciate your employees.

9. "give second preference"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

Pros

good location, nice building, Friday bagels and fruits.you get nice laptop. nice cubical. nice annual parties and company parties. There are some new stuff to work on but it's limited to some groups but not all groups.

Cons

There are some many waste people. Too many managers and product managers. Product managers are completely waste. They don't know anything and try to pressure you unnecessarily to make their job safe. Some product managers get the technical info from engineers and take the credit.

Your ideas will not be considered. No promotions to senior long time employees. No bonus.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and reduce product managers and managers. Respect and promote long time employers instead of hiring new managers.

"THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Hollywood, CA

Pros

There were a few good folks to work with there.

Cons

I want to say a couple things up front in the spirit of full disclosure and frankness:

1. I HATE this place - it was far and away and in *every* way the most insulting, demoralizing work experience I've ever had.

2. That said, do your due diligence - it's possible that things can change, or that there are pockets within the company that somehow provide a decent work environment. Although I will say that is hard to imagine.

Here's the list:

1. Chaotic work environment/Non-existent or incompetent/arrogant/uninterested direct management.

Explanation: For my first 4 months on the job I had NO direct manager. In month 5 they "temporarily" made a VP the team manager. This person quickly decided that with his state-of-the-art mastery of 90s web technology he should actually function as the team tech lead instead. Far from actually managing us his singular interest was in defending his throne as tech-god and czar. He made this abundantly clear by utterly displacing the real team lead (who was a very competent and up-to-date technologist) forcing the entire (JAVA) team to write Perl scripts (since that was the only thing he (almost) knew how to do) and often screaming (I'm not kidding) YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND to any team member who debated him on anything, especially his crappy, misplaced Perl code.

Annual reviews came up about 5 months into my tenure. We'd had to fill out a questionnaire in preparation for the interview - questions you'd expect like how you felt about how things were going at work, what would you change, what were your personal goals, etc. In the interview, instead of engaging me with any questions of that sort, he instead scanned my (considered) responses for a full 3 seconds and blurts out "Well all this says is that you're new. You're new." He then, unlike the printed questionnaire, fails to ask me even a single question and instead proceeds to talk about things from his point of view for 5-10 minutes. The truth is this is exactly how I expected the "review" to go and I already was headed full speed for the door so I didn't bother taking the initiative to unilaterally communicated anything that any normal manager would have asked me in a review.

2. Arrogant and out of touch leadership.

3. Favoritism, promotion of incompetent personnel while the talented get passed over for raises and promotions.

4. Uncanny numbers of utterly incompetent personnel who constantly pressure the competent to form a human bridge that spans the endless gulf between their duties and their ernormously limited capabilities.

5. Merciless Lowballers.

6. No one in management taking action on ANY of these fundamental problems.

I realize I might come off as someone who is disgruntled but doesn't really have the right to be etc etc. We all know the kind. I assure you I am not. I have worked in the industry for 12 years and have many fond memories of many good years - at other companies.

Final note/smoking gun - within a month after my leaving CityGrid had lost SO MANY tech employees to a mass exodus/stampede for the exits that they not only stopped low-balling on job offers but they offered many who were still there huge retention bonuses AND huge signing bonuses for referrals. Learning of this the rest of us just collectively shook our heads and muttered "wow..."

Advice to Management

You have a lucrative market cornered and *should* make a killing. The irony though is that the arrogance you subject your employees to is SO intense that it is blinding you to the obvious realities of your company and your business - and as a result might just sink you too. Hopefully you won't have to pay such a high price just to learn a lesson in decency and equality. I'm not sure where you think you are on the globe or what century your calendar reads, but this is the USA, century 21.