Civil Service United Kingdom Reviews | Glassdoor

Civil Service United Kingdom Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood
Sir Jeremy Heywood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Salary scales likely to be less than for a similar role in the private sector (in 9 reviews)

• You spend too much time dealing with senior managers and stakeholders rather than implementing/evaluating different policy options (in 6 reviews)

1. "Home Office"

Former Employee - Civil Service/Home Office in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Civil Service/Home Office in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Team work, training, multi- agency tasking,

Cons

non- team work, lack of relevant training, lack of diversity in top management posts.

Advice to Management

people management skills training

"GES - Economic Advisor (Grade 7) - HMT & HMRC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable first job upon leaving university and establish yourself in London. Gain public sector experience which can help you secure better employment in private sector. Work from home as much as you like. Access to variety of training courses. Not much else to say as private sector experience is valued much more in the market place irrespective of how long you work in the Civil Service.

Cons

Low pay for London, poor opportunities to progress, poor senior management, too hierarcial compared to private sector, work is not demanding compared to industry or finance sector. Absolutely no incentive to stay long term or beyond two years. Inconsistent quality of graduates and fellow workers is in contrast to private sector where people are weeded out every year. This is a pro if you are a low performer or lazy!

Advice to Management

Not much to say as Civil Service has been in decline in terms of quality and budget for years. They cannot be expected to compete with large firms in industry or the finance sector in terms of career opportunities, pay, training, travel, promotions, brand name, etc.

"It depends on luck!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom as an intern

Pros

-the central events in the MOD, Houses of parliament and US Embassy were very good and all transport is paid.
    -flexible working hours

Cons

The actual placement can be in any department and its completely down to luck whether or not you get a good active department. my department was small and unorganised and didn't have much work for us to do and we spent a lot of time sitting around doing nothing and being very bored. being based outside London. i also didn't get to meet any other interns on the scheme. you also are not guaranteed an interview for the actual fast stream and it doesn't have any impact on whether or not you will be successful in your application.

"HR Director"

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for advancement and to change roles

Cons

Unbelievably bureaucratic. i.e. read the Civil Service Management Code, Civil Service Recruitment principles, Civil Service Vacancy Filling Scheme, National Security Vetting Scheme and Cabinet Office recruitment constraints for an idea of the bureaucracy surrounding just recruitment. All were made up centrally in the Cabinet Office, or one of it's funded departments, i.e. the Civil Service Recruitment Commissioners.

Advice to Management

Cut the internal red tape,please

"Business People Professionals"

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Could be great working experience

Cons

Managed by BPP's who lack technical knowledge and subject matter, may be located in different part of the country and who manage your career based on sometimes second party input on your performance. Hardly professional way of managing workforce, Many leaving to seek better opportunities

Advice to Management

Get focused on actual customer requirements, spend less time filling in the statistical spreadsheet and embrace SME experience within the workforce to drive business forward.

"Poor working environment"

Former Employee - Prison Officer in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Prison Officer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

6 months full pay for sickness

Cons

poor management, little or no opportunity to develop, poor career progression opportunities, poor pay, poor working conditions, no consideration for home life

Advice to Management

Staff may be the biggest drain on your budget, but they are also your biggest asset. Stop viewing them as a necessary evil and look after them

7. "Not a great place to work right now"

Current Employee - Policy Profession Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Policy Profession Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, good benefits (holidays and pensions, very female-friendly policies), unusual projects that would not be in the private sector. And you could make a difference. Worth considering if you are young, bright and salary is not too important and can hack it long enough for those above you to be made redundant / get out. Then in about 10years I see plenty of promotion opportunities...

Cons

At present many promotions go to those currently doing the job on temporary promotion so very few real opportunities to move departments. In my experience most places are in chaos trying to manage with reduced budgets and wrong people in the wrong jobs. Its not a happy place to work

Advice to Management

Don't try to con us that hot desking, reorganisations or increases to pension contributions are anything other than cost reduction exercises. And explain why you are getting bonuses and pay rises while we are not. Do you really know where you are taking my organisation?

8. "Civil Disorder"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security and annual leave allowance.

Cons

Removal of front line staff and poor customer service especially to the most vulnerable client group, pensioners.

Advice to Management

Quality not quantity required. We have adopted call centre mentality.

"The traditional civil service culture is fast turning into a private sector experience, minus the pay!"

Former Employee - Executive Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Executive Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working opportunities are popular (unless you work in private or press office). A culture exists where people feel pride in their work which is positive to see despite the negative points made by the public and media. A good sense of camaraderie amongst civil servants.

Cons

A place where change is very slow. Many elements of the civil service are losing their values as they morph into a private sector machine (following greater influence of ministers and people eager to please top management) - examples include elements of indirect bullying and harassment particularly of junior grades. The team spirit is being diluted as people are becoming more individualistic in outlook and behaviour in order to 'stand out'. Following the redundancy programme, a lot of relatively young and inexperienced people were promoted to jobs they're unqualified for particularly with management skills and they are very defensive against constructive criticism. Many permanent secretaries have left the civil service for the private sector and those who have replaced them fail to provide a challenge function to ministers and they keep a lower profile due to the reduction in staff morale.

Advice to Management

Be more open to criticism and change which junior grades wish to see. Stop double standards - junior people are not allowed to undertake secondments or further education whereas senior people or the elite fast streamers are given these opportunities. who then end up eventually moving onto more 'lucrative' careers in the private sector. Invest in your junior and BME employees. Stop the cliquey culture of people having to fit into a certain group - at the moment its the only way to secure a promotion as no one hires people they dont know or are not connected to in some way. Make the recruitment, pay and appraisal process more transparent.

10. "The people I work with are lovely but we don't get told important information"

Current Employee - Support Officer in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

The pros are the people I work with and the fact that my current job is building my confidence ready for applying for promotion.

Cons

We didn't get told recently when new people joined our department. I still don't know if they are permanent additions or not. Promotion prospects seem remote as there keep being freezes on recruitment.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more openness. We've been told we don't need team meetings as we will be told if there is anything we need to know yet two people have joined in the last week and I don't know the first thing about it. I would also feel more motivated if there was a realistic prospect of getting promoted - there seem to be very few opportunities. The people I know who have been promoted have been lucky.