Civil Service United Kingdom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Civil Service United Kingdom Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood
Sir Jeremy Heywood

Pros
  • Flexi time, Work life balance, Good working environment (in 21 reviews)

• Great flexible working hours and the staff in the department were great (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary scales likely to be less than for a similar role in the private sector (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of autonomy, senior managers can tend towards micro-management (in 6 reviews)

"Good job ruined by Central Government cuts and not being able to listen to people "in the front line and on the ground"."

Current Employee - County Court Bailiff in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension benefits and working conditions.

Cons

Too many staff cuts whilst the workload is ever increasing, unlike the wages.

Advice to Management

Get a grip and listen to your subordinates, they don't always have the wrong idea(s) !

2. "Over worked under paid and not respected"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Executive Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working time interesting and challenging work

Cons

unfair treatment of staff outside of londno

Advice to Management

listen to your staff not the special advisers

3. "accounting assistant"

Current Employee - Credit Officer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Credit Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom (Less than a year)

Pros

capable of putting the company at a world market.

Cons

if it doesn't give skills and motivational guide

Advice to Management

keep focused to expand the market world wide

5. "Civil Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Long term career prospects are good, lots of internal transfer opportunities available between departments.Temporary positions often made permenant.

Cons

Weak management means that teams are not built and individual talents not always recognised. Training in use of systems not consistent and over emphasis on targets rather than personal strengths.

Advice to Management

Train new team members and provide with mentors in order to support them in becoming used to new organisation.

"Paperwork, proceedure and protocol"

Pros

Lots of time off, loads of options for flexible working, excellent PENSION (even with the proposed changes), very secure job.

Cons

No career system or prospects, a promotion lottery, rubbish basic salary and a senior management who don't really have the respect of thier employees.

"Exciting for a first timer but just as exciting when leaving..."

Former Employee - Policy Official in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Policy Official in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to see how the Government really works and how much of the work carried out is actually done by you. Great holiday benefits and flexible working patterns.

Cons

Very structured and grade dependent so exposure to higher level work at times limited. Rewards and pay always dependent on Government budgets.

8. "Management incompetence and bullying covered up by HR"

Former Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A commitment to public service and delivering good quality work at G6/G7 (B1, B2) levels and a professional and co-operative working environment at these grades.

Cons

Unnecessary levels of costly administrative middle management at more senior grades, where incompetent managers have been 'promoted out of the job they can't do' and a management attitude supported by HR to suppress and bully any individuals who question such hierarchies.

Advice to Management

Order a thorough review of bullying (past and present), remove SPADs from the civil service pay roll, and review the wasteful and expensive procurement of suppliers and services using over-priced private companies like Capita and G4S.

9. "The people I work with are lovely but we don't get told important information"

Current Employee - Support Officer in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pros are the people I work with and the fact that my current job is building my confidence ready for applying for promotion.

Cons

We didn't get told recently when new people joined our department. I still don't know if they are permanent additions or not. Promotion prospects seem remote as there keep being freezes on recruitment.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more openness. We've been told we don't need team meetings as we will be told if there is anything we need to know yet two people have joined in the last week and I don't know the first thing about it. I would also feel more motivated if there was a realistic prospect of getting promoted - there seem to be very few opportunities. The people I know who have been promoted have been lucky.

"The traditional civil service culture is fast turning into a private sector experience, minus the pay!"

Former Employee - Executive Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Executive Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working opportunities are popular (unless you work in private or press office). A culture exists where people feel pride in their work which is positive to see despite the negative points made by the public and media. A good sense of camaraderie amongst civil servants.

Cons

A place where change is very slow. Many elements of the civil service are losing their values as they morph into a private sector machine (following greater influence of ministers and people eager to please top management) - examples include elements of indirect bullying and harassment particularly of junior grades. The team spirit is being diluted as people are becoming more individualistic in outlook and behaviour in order to 'stand out'. Following the redundancy programme, a lot of relatively young and inexperienced people were promoted to jobs they're unqualified for particularly with management skills and they are very defensive against constructive criticism. Many permanent secretaries have left the civil service for the private sector and those who have replaced them fail to provide a challenge function to ministers and they keep a lower profile due to the reduction in staff morale.

Advice to Management

Be more open to criticism and change which junior grades wish to see. Stop double standards - junior people are not allowed to undertake secondments or further education whereas senior people or the elite fast streamers are given these opportunities. who then end up eventually moving onto more 'lucrative' careers in the private sector. Invest in your junior and BME employees. Stop the cliquey culture of people having to fit into a certain group - at the moment its the only way to secure a promotion as no one hires people they dont know or are not connected to in some way. Make the recruitment, pay and appraisal process more transparent.

11. "Civil Disorder"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security and annual leave allowance.

Cons

Removal of front line staff and poor customer service especially to the most vulnerable client group, pensioners.

Advice to Management

Quality not quantity required. We have adopted call centre mentality.